Runners and EM2WL

Options
amc_runs
amc_runs Posts: 4 Member
Hi there,

I have been spending several nights persuing these forums and have really been loving what I have been reading.

It seems however that most if not all of those who have used and/or have found success with EM2WL do a lot of lifting and not much cardio.

I am curious to hear from those (if any) who use this method but area also mid to long distance runners and have found success.

Also - many of the people whom have posted on this board seem to average around 5-5'5" in height. Any taller people out there???

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• tegalicious
    Options
    I am a runner who uses this method! You can add me as a friend if you want!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll comment that many that have used the methods talked about came from a place of badly undereating, and that cost them muscle mass.
    So the encouragement for lifting is to gain some back while a noobie and still a lot of fat to lose, but at least retain later on.

You can do a reasonable deficit method with any or no exercise for that matter.
    If mainly doing running though, and that's the future activity you see yourself continuing, by all means you can do it.
    Would suggest doing upper body resistance, doesn't have to be hard, in fact circuit training is just fine to help retain muscle in the face of a deficit and heavy cardio.
    And recommended protein of .8 gram per lb of weight, or 1 g per lb of LBM.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Thanks Heybales! You totally just answered a bunch of questions I have been meaning to ask and haven't really known how to word correctly.
  • amc_runs
    amc_runs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response to both Haybales and mtpok.

I went to the website referenced and came up with the following numbers. Could you please comment to see if I am correct?

Female - 5' 9"
    Age - 37 (birthday today :))
    Activitiy level I put was - 5-6 hours week strenuous exercise (run 4-5 days a week; cross train 1 day)
    *Running includes "easy pace" but also one day of speed work and one day of a tempo run
    Weight - 140

BMR - 1361
    TDEE - 2348
    TDEE - 15% - 1900ish calories.

Does this sound correct or should it be higher considering I am running pretty high mileage (40mpw at this point) with some intense workouts?

Thanks again!.

Would love the feed back
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response to both Haybales and mtpok.

I went to the website referenced and came up with the following numbers. Could you please comment to see if I am correct?

Female - 5' 9"
    Age - 37 (birthday today :))
    Activitiy level I put was - 5-6 hours week strenuous exercise (run 4-5 days a week; cross train 1 day)
    *Running includes "easy pace" but also one day of speed work and one day of a tempo run
    Weight - 140

BMR - 1361
    TDEE - 2348
    TDEE - 15% - 1900ish calories.

Does this sound correct or should it be higher considering I am running pretty high mileage (40mpw at this point) with some intense workouts?

Thanks again!.

Would love the feed back

That is the correct principle, and honest evaluation.
    You might benefit from a mixed method, if you feel up to it.

First, I'd suggest the spreadsheet on my profile page, so you are dealing with best estimate of BF%, BMR, and TDEE.

See what that daily TDEE would be, with recommended deficit amount based on this activity type.
    Just stick on the Simple Setup tab, and Progress tab for logging your stats for tracking.

Now, compared to that method of eating the same daily, you might want to tweak for better recovery on long days.

Like if you have some days of running over 1 hr, only include 60 min for that run in the activity calc.
    The day you run more though, figure out your calories for the avg pace and your weight and time over 1 hr, and eat the rest back post workout - when you really need it.

The TDEE method can be hampered by a couple of big workouts compared to the other days. It means you are spreading the extra calories out over the whole week, when you really need them those couple of big days after the workout.