So how are you getting motivated in 2014?

Options
JRIV60
JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
It is sooo super cold outside, who wants to go out in that crap right?! :grumble: I know what I need to do but am not really motivated to get moving even though I know spring and summer are coming right around the corner. I never have a problem during those seasons but for some reason the cold just does me in.

With that being said, what are you all doing to get motivated to workout and tone up in this crappy weather?

Jo

Replies

• suzfimbres
    suzfimbres Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'll tell ya what I did... I moved to Southern California! LOL! Sorry, I know that isn't much help! Cheer up, Charlie, and go kick some butt at the gym!
  • desireecl
    desireecl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My younger sister is getting married in mid-Oct and I am one of her bridesmaids so I have 8 months to get my ish together so I look my best. she is 5'3" and 110#, size 0/2. two of her 'maids are size 6 (including our youngest sister) and one is a 12/14 like me, but she is very petite and just had a breast reduction so her body is changing as well.

my weight loss has been a long time coming, I'm getting older and with a family history of diabetes and heart disease it is not good to continue with my current lifestyle. I have been overweight or obese for most of my adult life with poor eating habits and lack of exercise so it is time for me to change all of that....my sister's wedding is just a good catalyst for change.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I also live in Southern California where the weather is nice. But the most convenient thing for me is working out at home, which I did today and plan on continuing! There's lots of great videos on You Tube.
  • acmsas
    acmsas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym that is closest to my house, so I have no excuse not to go. And when I still wasn't going like I should have, I contacted a girl that I thought went there and we are now working out together. It helps SOOOO much to have someone to meet at the gym. It's a bonus that she is a fitness fanatic and is pushing me to my limits and beyond! Best thing I ever did.
  • skip2mylu
    skip2mylu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs that need walking, one being a 4 month all lab with lots of energy. If he doesn't get out for a bit and let loose some energy he makes everyone in the house crazy.
    So that is how I've spent more time than I usually would outdoors this winter. lol
  • markmacare
    markmacare Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Set-up a home gym and it's been absolute gold so far. Wake up, work-out, only then switch on brain to come up with any excuses :)
  • dokfeelg00d
    dokfeelg00d Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Success motivates me, haven't had that since before my first Kid was born (lost 40 lbs before that). I am trying to find something that can motivate me over stress-eating and convenience!
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Paid money for twelve sessions with a personal trainer. Nothing motivates you like the sound of money flying from your pocket!
  • JRIV60
    Options
    Thanks for your input peeps! I am hoping this time change allows me to get my daily walks back in. I got my first one in yesterday after work and it was wonderful. :0)

As for the home gym, I just moved in with my man and he has a pretty good set up with weights and a pull up bar. I am hoping once the boxes get unpacked, etc I can start on that too. Oh and the elliptical!

This winter has been a rough one. I have never seen so much snow and ice in my life. I am hoping this is the last of that nonsense. lol

Jo
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Trying to stay motivated is tough for me! It seems like I miss one day and then it's out the window for the next day :ohwell:

It's been especially difficult since I had to ground my son for two weeks and that means no going to the Y. So now I have to go before I pick him up and if I don't make it, I'm stuck until my husband gets home which is always too late to go to the gym. I have also been oversleeping and as a result missing my Barre class. I have to get back on track and I sit there and think about my trip in May and so today I am determined to get back at it. Full force. :happy:
  • julzz81
    julzz81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I motivated myself by signing up to do a color run, want to be able to atleast run part of it!!
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I've been finding motivation a little rough lately actually.

I saw a girl who did "30 day challenges" just for herself. She made them up, sort of like mini goals 30 days at a time and then changed it up entirely for the next 30 days. It's sort of a neat idea because without any real set goal, I just get off track and can't get focused on what I'm doing because, well.. it's always the same stuff in the gym with no real end result.
  • JRIV60
    Options
    I found a 24 day challenge on Pinterest (I know, Pinterest. lol) that I started last night. You do crunches, leg raises and planks adding more reps with each passing day. The first day is 5 crunches, 5 leg raises, and a 10 sec plank. Man, that plank was hard. O.o It got me thinking about 2 challenges I did a while back with squats and sits ups. <-- those were awesome! I actually downloaded apps for those and based on your initial test it gave you the reps to do for each day. I am very limited with time right now with school but I thought between those 3 challenges for the next 30 days I am set. I will re-evaluate then and hopefully the weather will let up enough for me to get outside.

It's an eye opener how out of shape I have gotten over the past few months with no activity. Summer is waiting on no one and neither is my health!

If anyone is interested in those apps or the 24 day challenge info let me know.

xo,

Jo