Training to run HM in under 2hrs...need advice plz!

Options
ktweldon3
ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
I've ran 5 HM's in the last two seasons. PR'd in June last summer with 2:04:00, but had a knee injury that took time to heal, thankfully no surgery. BUT...have ran over 4miles in one run since. Training officially starts on Monday. I hadn't done strength training or speed workouts in the past. Is that the key to getting under 2hrs? I figure my goal of loosing 20lbs should help too! ;)

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    In general to run faster you have to run faster. :). Not a flippant comment, but speed work is part of the mix. Long days at an easy pace important too. Are you following a plan? Any recent 5ks to get a benchmark?
  • ktweldon3
    ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The 'Big Day' is in June - Grandma's Half Marathon in Duluth, MN. That's where I want to get under 2hrs. I start my formal training plan on Monday, long runs on Saturday with recovery run on Sunday. Friday is day of rest, so that leaves Mon-Thur I will run a min of 12miles during that time, which will incorporate speed work outs and strength training.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Great event. I grew up in Superior. A few years ago I did the full with my niece to help her do her first marathon.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    I I hadn't done strength training or speed workouts in the past. Is that the key to getting under 2hrs?

When i was training for my 1st half it was my first ever race and i'd only been running for 4 months before the race. I did no strength training or speed work just following the training programme for 12 weeks and managed sub 2 hours.

So to answer the above question.. No :)