considering VSG

Options
2mouse63
2mouse63 Posts: 66 Member
Hello, I am considering having the sleeve done. I was banded on 1/8/09 and after four years now, regaining weight back that I have lost, reflux, and now having issues with eating. I am at a cross roads. Can anyone give me some help? I have a doctor appointment with Dr. Sharp in Raleigh to discuss this but I like to hear from you all. Any help would be helpful.

Replies

• Rindabu
    Rindabu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A VSG will help with weight loss, but it will probably do nothing for your reflux. RNY's are very good for relieving acid reflux, though.
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    thank you for the information. I am scared of the RNY. I guess I need to look more into that procedure now as well. Humm which way to go?
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I originally went into my WLS classes assuming I was going to do the increasingly popular Sleeve. And honestly I think I am the only one in the class that is possibly changing my mind and now leaning towards RNY. If you have specific questions or concerns about RNY of course first you should consult medical professionals as we do not know your medical history nor are qualified to give that type of advice BUT there are many MANY successful weight loss stories in this group who have had RNY and can maybe address some of your fears by giving their experiences.

I can tell you from what I have learned so far, the procedure has improved tremendously from the stigma it has had from probably 20+ years ago. Also depending on certain health issues like Rindabu stated, can help with better than the Sleeve. But both are going to help you lose weight IF you do as your instructed to do.

Do you have a specific "fear" of RNY or just heard horror stories? Again for either surgery to be effective from what I've learned from members of this group as well as my class, you have to follow the plan!!

Ask your questions, we're here to help!:smile:
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If your reflux is due to a hiatal hernia, it should be repaired during the surgery. Most surgeons test for this prior to surgery. I had rny 16 months ago and had a hernia repair. No reflux since the surgery, no food issues, and lost 100% of my excess weight within the first 8 months. I'm at maintenance now. I do, however, have several friends who have had vsg with just as good results. I think you get out of the surgery what you put into it.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I originally went into my WLS classes assuming I was going to do the increasingly popular Sleeve. And honestly I think I am the only one in the class that is possibly changing my mind and now leaning towards RNY. If you have specific questions or concerns about RNY of course first you should consult medical professionals as we do not know your medical history nor are qualified to give that type of advice BUT there are many MANY successful weight loss stories in this group who have had RNY and can maybe address some of your fears by giving their experiences.

I can tell you from what I have learned so far, the procedure has improved tremendously from the stigma it has had from probably 20+ years ago. Also depending on certain health issues like Rindabu stated, can help with better than the Sleeve. But both are going to help you lose weight IF you do as your instructed to do.

Do you have a specific "fear" of RNY or just heard horror stories? Again for either surgery to be effective from what I've learned from members of this group as well as my class, you have to follow the plan!!

Ask your questions, we're here to help!:smile:

Personally, I think the RNY is the best surgery, but I'm probably biased. First, the RNY helps with lifestyle modification as it generally causes people to react poorly to high fat or high sugar meals. You'll suffer from what is known as "dumping syndrome". Believe me, it is the worst thing you've ever felt! It keeps you away from high fat or sugar meals.

Second, the sleeve has a longer recovery time than the RNY. The sleeve has longer internal staple lines that take longer to heal. You'll be on your liquid and mushy food stages for longer than the RNY.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Second, the sleeve has a longer recovery time than the RNY. The sleeve has longer internal staple lines that take longer to heal. You'll be on your liquid and mushy food stages for longer than the RNY.

I think healing is very individual and not necessarily based on the type of surgery. I had sleeve surgery in October, and I had no trouble recovering or healing. I didn't even take pain meds after my one night stay in the hospital. I walked every day, and after four weeks my surgeon said I could go back to the gym, which I did. I have had no problems at all, but I have been following the program exactly as I should.

As far as lifestyle modification, this has to be done regardless of whether or not you have the built in checks and balances of dumping syndrome. Personally, I wouldn't want to rely on that. I know someone who regained a lot of weight after gastric bypass and he isn't affected by sugar or high fat foods like he used to be.I guess his body adjusted to those foods again. Also, not everyone tolerates food the same way, so what might give one person dumping syndrome might not bother another person. BEFORE you even have weight loss surgery, you have to make the commitment to make the changes to your lifestyle, regardless of which surgery you choose.

Which surgery does your surgeon suggest you get?
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned, reflux can be a serious issue with the sleeve. RNY is much better. A fair number of sleevers convert to RNY because of reflux, and I would rather have one surgery than two.

Only about 30 percent of RNY patients suffer from dumping, so you can't count on that to keep your eating honest in the future.

Ask your surgeon a lot of questions. There are an awful lot of problems the band can cause to your stomach that may make it impossible to have either the sleeve or RNY. So depending on what the surgeon finds in there, the decision may already be out of your hands.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve surgery in July 2013. I had severe reflux prior to surgery that turned out to be due to a hiatal hernia. My surgeon repaired this at the time I was sleeved. I have not had an issue with reflux since. Reflux doesn't automatically mean you can't get the sleeve.
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    Which surgery does your surgeon suggest you get?

I see my surgeon on Feb. 27, 2014.

After I talk to the surgeon I have a lot to think about. First I just hope with my BMI 40 I hope my insurance company will allow me to have this revision from the lap band. I did very well the first three years not one problem at all and lost 100 lbs the first year. But being I have gain most of the weight back I need to do something just to be around with my family. My boys (age of 4) need me to be with them for a long time.
  • Skykilr1
    Skykilr1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think both surgeries have their pros and cons. I had a sleeve almost 6 months ago. About 2 years ago my grandfather had an RNY. So I've kinda had to deal with both surgeries. The only bad thing that's happened to me from my surgery is acid reflux. Before that I never had any problem with acid reflux. Now it pops up every once in a while only when I'm sleeping. After 2 months it started the Drs put me on Protonix and Maalox at night. At worst it happens once or twice a week coughing up a little stomach acid. Looked up a few tips to avoid it like don't eat or drink before sleeping, sleep on the left side...Lately been reflux free for 3 weeks now.

The good things it did for me...Rarely hungry, ever. Everything digests normally, every once in a while I can drink alcohol with no problems. If I wanted to splurge and have a scoop of ice cream I can with no issues. During 6 months I've only threw up twice, strangely both times from fried rice within 2-3 bites. It just gets hung weird on the way down.

Now for my gdad and his RNY. He has no acid reflux but he does get some brutal (god help us all) gas due to the way food digests now. When he eats to many carbs or sugar the dumping will start and it'll be a race to the bathroom. He still has all his cravings and hunger, not as bad as it used to be but still there. He also does throw up a lot. Honestly though most of his side effects are probably more because he rarely listens to what the doctors say. He lost 90 lbs in a year with zero exercise.

The main reasons I decided to get the sleeve instead of the RNY. A lot of people say it kills your hunger (it worked on me). No carb/sugar dumping, no real gas problems since the 1st month after the surgery.

Good luck with which ever surgery you decide.
  • sashahanrahan
    sashahanrahan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's such a personal decision. As you can see here, everyone has their own experience and opinion. If money is an issue, vsg is cheaper. I was told it was less invasive than the RNY. I was back at work in less than a week. I can speak about the reflux issue but they put me on protonix after the surgery just to be safe. I highly recommend it, but you should research both surgeries to see which one sounds best for you. Also, based on your circumstances your doc might think one will be more successful for you than the other.
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    I can't wait to see my doctor on Feb. 27th. I would love to just talk to him and see what he thinks I should do or not to do. Hay who knows with my luck I just might have to keep the band and live the way I am now. So depressed right now. Sorry!

I am going to think good thoughts that he will say ok lets get this band out and lets get the sleeve or RNY put into its placed.