protein is low!!

Options
I'm 5 1/2 months post op of RNY and the doctors office saying my 6 month blood work protein levels are low, and I need to eat protein every meal, I absolutely hate protein shakes, can you guys help me out and tell me what you eat for higher protein so I can add some new stuff to get in enough protein, thanks :-)

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of other people here, I eat Quest bars, 20 grams of protein each. I also eat a lot of Greek yogurt.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
    Greek yogurt with protein granola
    greek Cottage Cheese, (Kemps makes one that has 19g)
    Recipes off "theworldaccordingtoeggface.com"
    Nectar water mix protein products. I like their Iced Lemon Tea. Milky protein shakes make me gag too.
    Protein "shots" (available at nutrition stores. Whey concentrated protein shot drinks). I'm not a fan, but you might be able to shoot it like Jaegermeister to get some protein down!

I look at it this way... Not getting enough protein is NOT an option, just like not taking supplements is NOT an option. Protein is prescribed for a reason. Treat it like one of your medicines. Find a way to get it down, even if you don't enjoy it. I absolutely can't get what I need in a day without at least one 20g protein supplements, usually 2.
  • BoysMommaX4
    BoysMommaX4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There are other supplements that aren't shakes. I can't do shakes either. I do protein drinks (Isopure 40g per 20oz, Whey Isolate 32 per 16.4oz, Yes Whey 25g per 3oz shot). I also eat tons of sea food (tuna, tilapia, salmon, shrimp, crab, imitation crab meat). There is a lot of protein in those. I don't hit my supplement protein goals but the seafood makes up for it almost everyday.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I add unflavored protein powder to things. I'm sure there are many out there, but my favorite brand is Unjury.
  • stroynaya
    Options
    I also bought a cookbook designed for post-wls, so all the recipes in it are high protein. It is called Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone!

Anyone else have some tricks of the trade??
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Protein powders can be mixed into just about anything. I put them in oatmeal, casseroles, I've done homemade protein bars, stuff like that. For the shakes, you could jazz them up. My favorite was always a scoop of chocolate protein, half a frozen banana and some PB2. I liked vanilla protein with strawberries and half a banana as well.

Other things you could do is work on changing some foods up. Don't eat rice, switch to quinoa instead.

As far as the protein itself goes, shop around and find something you like plain. If you like it plain, then it tastes just fine when you mix it with stuff. Many places like GNC, VitaminShoppe, or even places online have single serve ones you could try. I will tell you, I shopped around for months trying different brands. However, once I found the Max Protein brand from SEI Pharmaceuticals I never changed to anything else.

Lastly, just internet sources. Eggface, Bariatric Foodie, SkinnyTaste and Melting Mama are my favorites.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Supplements like shakes will help you reach your protein goals, but they are not filling, and you will have hunger returning with a vengeance before you know it.

The best sources for protein are still meat. You don't say whether you have an issue with animal protein, but eggs, red meat, chicken, fish, etc are still the best sources. A can of tuna fish has the most protein for the lowest amount of calories available. Plant proteins are also good, but they aren't complete proteins. Things like beans can help get more protein.

I have the opposite problem. There are other things that I should eat but don't. The last green thing I ate was cheese that was a little too old. But I get close to 200 grams of protein a day, and once in a while hit 300.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Supplements like shakes will help you reach your protein goals, but they are not filling, and you will have hunger returning with a vengeance before you know it.

The best sources for protein are still meat. You don't say whether you have an issue with animal protein, but eggs, red meat, chicken, fish, etc are still the best sources. A can of tuna fish has the most protein for the lowest amount of calories available. Plant proteins are also good, but they aren't complete proteins. Things like beans can help get more protein.

I have the opposite problem. There are other things that I should eat but don't. The last green thing I ate was cheese that was a little too old. But I get close to 200 grams of protein a day, and once in a while hit 300.

These are the things I am now learning all about in class. it's very overwhelming! I normally feel great and well informed when I come out of class last week I felt overwhelmed. I've been told by hollygoddess, (an awesome friend who went through the same classes I am now in) not to worry that was just the first week of introducing the importance of protein and they will teach us much more in the coming weeks. Right now I am getting close to 100 g a day in protein WITHOUT protein supplements or shakes. I do want to start adding in a drink but when I go to the store I am lost! :noway:
    WOW grim 300grams!! :happy:
  • csmccord
    Options
    These are the things I am now learning all about in class. it's very overwhelming! I normally feel great and well informed when I come out of class last week I felt overwhelmed. I've been told by hollygoddess, (an awesome friend who went through the same classes I am now in) not to worry that was just the first week of introducing the importance of protein and they will teach us much more in the coming weeks. Right now I am getting close to 100 g a day in protein WITHOUT protein supplements or shakes. I do want to start adding in a drink but when I go to the store I am lost! :noway:
    WOW grim 300grams!! :happy:

Post surgery you will HAVE to drink shakes for about the first 9 months to a year. You won't be able to eat enough food in three meals to get at least 100 gm protein. My medical people wanted me getting at least 50 from protein supplements. For any of the surgeries, not having protein shakes for at least the first months is not an option, you have to do it, or else you'll drastic lose muscle mass. Besides, protein is one of the few things that your body can't produce naturally. It can convert fat and protein to carbohydrates, but can't make amino acids without protein.

Personally, I don't think it's worth drinking the protein before surgery. Your tastes will change dramatically, and what you like pre-surgery, you may not like post-surgery. Yes, have protein on-hand for when you get home from the hospital, but maybe have single serve sizes of a few different brands. I had to shop around about two months or so until I found one that I liked. Shoot, I tried a new brand over the weekend and thought it tasted like dirt. Once I found SEI I haven't gone to anything else. It's more expensive, but if you are having trouble finding one you like, I suggest you try it first.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (check the sugar on them though). I add Invisiwhey by Twinlab sometimes to boost the protein by another 10 grams. It's not good to add to hot foods, but cold ones it's okay.
  • csmccord
    Options
    Greek yogurt (check the sugar on them though). I add Invisiwhey by Twinlab sometimes to boost the protein by another 10 grams. It's not good to add to hot foods, but cold ones it's okay.

Buy the plain yogurt and make your own flavors. We use Torino sugar free syrups in our house.

Or even think outside the box, you can make savory varieties. Toss some greek and seasoning in it, and now you have greek dip. Toss some avacados, diced tomatoes, lime juice salt and cilantro in it, and now you have quacamole. We also use it in place of sour cream. We've given it to non-WLS friends and they couldn't even tell the difference.

Try some of these: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/04/heads-up-fage-coupon.html
  • stroynaya
    Options

Post surgery you will HAVE to drink shakes….You won't be able to eat enough food in three meals to get at least 100 gm protein. For any of the surgeries, not having protein shakes for at least the first months is not an option, you have to do it, or else you'll drastic lose muscle mass.

I agree and disagree. You have to have protein supplements. You can't physically eat enough food to get in all your protein otherwise. However, it does not have to be via shakes. I put protein powder in a lot of my foods and mostly avoid the shakes.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER used the protein shakes--except for the week prior to my surgery. I use lowfat cheeses, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, meat, veggies with protein, eggplant, etc. There are so many options!! I eat a LOT of chicken and fish. Always, always,, eat your meat or protein first, then your vegetables, then if you have room, your starches. Get that protein first. Lots of options.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    There are as many programs as there are doctors. They are all different. Mine had a limit of one protein shake per day, starting three weeks postop. Some programs start people on solid food the day after surgery. Some have people on ground beef at the end of their first week. Others tell you to wait for a year. I know of one person who never ever had a protein shake, bar, or supplement, and has been at goal for nine years.

In the end, it's not whether a particular program is right or wrong. But I think it is important that people follow their own program closely, rather than picking and choosing what they want to do. It's an issue of willingness to make changes, follow directions, and stick to the plan. Those people succeed. Those that go off plan when they want are rationalizing, and go more off plan down the road, and are much less successfull.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Fantastic information everyone THANK YOU!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    There are as many programs as there are doctors. They are all different. Mine had a limit of one protein shake per day, starting three weeks postop. Some programs start people on solid food the day after surgery. Some have people on ground beef at the end of their first week. Others tell you to wait for a year. I know of one person who never ever had a protein shake, bar, or supplement, and has been at goal for nine years.

In the end, it's not whether a particular program is right or wrong. But I think it is important that people follow their own program closely, rather than picking and choosing what they want to do. It's an issue of willingness to make changes, follow directions, and stick to the plan. Those people succeed. Those that go off plan when they want are rationalizing, and go more off plan down the road, and are much less successfull.

Best advice I've heard. Thanks for stating it so perfectly!!!
  • blonde099
    Options
    Almond meal and different types of seeds are good too.