Strength vs. Muscle gain pt 2

Options
AbbeyDove
AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
Hi all,

Ok, I get now that I can't actually build larger muscles while I'm eating at a deficit. However, is it possible to *get stronger* while eating at deficit?

Specifically, is it possible for me to make serious progress on the (damn) push-up while eating at a slight deficit?

I'm not frustrated at all, BTW. Oh, no, no, not at all.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible to get stronger while on a deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to use progression for push ups? Starting against the wall, slowly increasing the angle as well as doing modified (from the knees) push ups. Also, planks will help.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've gotten stronger while on a deficit. When I started out, I could barely do pushups against the counter. Now I can do full, nose-to-ground pushups. Not a lot of them, but I can do them.

I took quite a while for me to progress this far, but it's do-able.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    You can build a LOT of strength in a deficit. Especially if you are new to strength training. If your goal is pushups, then follow Sara's advice and do pushups. Start with easy ones and get progressively harder. I'd bet a dime on a donut you could reach your goal easily this way.

A nice program I like for body weight work that has built in progression for each move is You Are Your Own Gym. Get the app not the book. It goes from beginner to really, really hard and you can design your own workouts easily.

Tom
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    Well, thanks for my new sense of burgeoning hope! I'm actually doing the You Are Your Own Gym DVDs right now. Previously I was doing a different book by the same author (Body by You), but I am genuinely a slacker at heart. I wasn't really pushing myself enough, so I switched to the DVD. The DVD makes me try to pace myself with Mark Lauren, which is, um, challenging. However, I moved up to the intermediate DVD, and the ladders section has many, many push-ups. I'm on my knees right now, and it's still killing me. I might drop down to the less intense options, but I just want to be able to do one perfect (ok, a few perfect) boy-style push-ups. I dunno how I'd fare with the app, given my slacker inclinations. But it's really good to know that it's possible I won't always hurt this much even if I'm still eating at a deficit.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group but also hoping to get stronger while eating at a deficit, and have been wondering if body weight workouts are adequate for beginners. Glad to find this thread. :) Over time I've gone from wall push-ups to knee push-ups to full push-ups. I can do a couple full push-ups now, which is progress! Still have some work to do though. :) I might have to check out You Are Your Own Gym. With the motivation piece, are you someone who'd do better having a partner to do the DVDs with you? Someone to do daily check-ins with?
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I used the "You are your own gym" app when I was away on vacation. Couldn't do a single regular push-up when I started. Within 3 weeks I could at least do a few. My husband was pretty impressed.
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    I'm new to this group but also hoping to get stronger while eating at a deficit, and have been wondering if body weight workouts are adequate for beginners. Glad to find this thread. :) Over time I've gone from wall push-ups to knee push-ups to full push-ups. I can do a couple full push-ups now, which is progress! Still have some work to do though. :) I might have to check out You Are Your Own Gym. With the motivation piece, are you someone who'd do better having a partner to do the DVDs with you? Someone to do daily check-ins with?

Feel free to send me a FR, Macchiatto! It would be fun to do this with someone!