Lets get real - advice on caloric intake

Options
Good morning... Ive been doing some reading on daily caloric intake and 1200 is getting a huge rap. I am currently at a stall. Of course I was thrilled when I lost the original 10 lbs but not a budge of the scale in a week. Now - I KNOW about being patient and doing this 100%, but Im really beginning to think Im not eating enough. I cant be the only one who is in 'fear' about upping calories? It was a big mindset switch moving to the keto lifestyle because our whole lives weve been told stay away from fat. Now that I understand how it works, its second nature. Im looking for some real feelings about moving up your calorie intake? Did you struggle? Were you nervous? Did it work? I want to add I walk a lot 4-5 times a week, in the snow, uphill, so I burn some too.

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    It was a big change for me eating all the fats, more calories at first but I am used to it now. Here is what worked for me.

1. I don't worry too much about calories (count carbs) but it doesn't mean I eat unlimited calories. I eat when I am hungry and stop when full. Its not sustainable if you are hungry all the time or snacking between the meals.
    2. I don't snack any more, just eat real food with around (80% fat calories, 15% protein and 5 % carb calories).
    3. There were few times I wouldn't lose any weight for 10-15 days. But I could feel losing inches and not really went crazy about it.
    4. I do eat more calories than recommended by MFP on a low carb diet.
    5. Eat real foods not the products which are sold as low carb, I eat lots of different types of foods including green veggies and berries.
  • mccandlessmom
    mccandlessmom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with fattyman. I try to keep my carbs low (below 15), and eat a majority of fat. My %s change everyday, but they are always between 70-80% fat. I just eat when I am hungry, and I only eat real food. Sometimes that means I only eat 600 calories a day. Other days I have eaten almost 2000. I figure my body knows what I need. I listen to it.

I've only been doing this for 2 months, but my experience has been this: Lose for the first 2 weeks. Stall for 2 weeks. Lose for 2 weeks, stall 2 weeks. I am in the middle of my first week of losing this cycle, and I have lost 4 lbs., most of which I am convinced was water weight put on during my period. I think it just really sucks to be a girl. With our hormones and our higher body fat percentage, it's much harder for us to lose.

I think you're doing GREAT! DOn't be afraid to up your calories if you are hungry. Keep up the good work, and be proud of yourself.
  • 195to135
    195to135 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    Not sure how to take this post seeing from your diary you've been tracking less than a month and from what I saw since switching to low carb there was only a day or two you were even close to netting 1200 calories...
    Also seeing you seem to only want to lose 35 pounds and already down 10 of the pounds you may need to be slightly more realistic about how fast they will come off, some weeks you will simply not lose anything and may even gain don't let the number on the scale mess with your mind or you'll be wanting to change things every week you don't see the results you want.

I'd try and make sure to at least reach your net calorie goal before worrying about if you should join the Eat more to Lose more group of people 1200 a day may work for you but you can't find out if you're not hitting it.

But personally idk how anyone nets only 1200 a day without wanting to take 4 naps a day I'm set for 1340 and thats before exercise calories, most days im between 1500-1600 calories and Sat I was 2463 :noway: But that was a carb up and cheat night :bigsmile:
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    A LOT of people stall around weeks 3-5. Plus you're a woman, so you know.. shark week.