Birthday celebrations...

Options
Anyone else have a birthday this month? Usually I celebrate with ice cream cake.... not this year. Trying to think of other things besides food for a celebration. If it is nice we'll go for a hike or something. Anyone else have a birthday during the whole 30?

Replies

• Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ha! Plan a whole30 during my birthday? Um, no thanks!! Sorry, not to say anything about your choices but I just don't have the willpower/strength to do that!!! I did have primal cake this year for it but I could never forgo cake altogether.

I admire you for choosing to celebrate in a non-food way. It really is about spending time with people you love and making memories in celebration of your life. Have a wonderful birthday!!
  • bethcongdon1
    bethcongdon1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LOL! I know but if it's not one thing it is another. I always find an excuse when to not start. I timed this whole 30 to end just before my annual cholesterol test. I've never had a "good" test so I am hoping to see results. It's worth the "no cake or dessert" stuff. ;)
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't want to tempt you if you're doing "no fruit smoothies" during your whole30 because they are sweet (and might be considered paleofied dessert). If you are avoiding them then you can ignore this. I know they aren't recommended. However, if it was my birthday and I was on a Whole30, I would at least do a fruit smoothie (with no added sugars). Something that I'm looking at doing possibly during my whole30 for a celebration: Paleo Pumpkin-Banana smoothie (1/2 c. pumpkin, 1/2 or 1 frozen banana, 1/2 or 1 c. unsweetened coconut milk, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, (ginger optional)

I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it would taste good, but I like pumpkin a lot and wouldn't mind drinking it in a smoothie:)

Another smoothie option is my tweaked version from "Against All Grain"- (I don't want to say what it's called because it sounds like a dessert): 8 ounces almond milk (make homemade to make sure whole 30 compliant), ½ cup crushed ice, 1 ripe banana, 3 dates, ½ avocado (about ¼ cup), 2 tablespoons raw cacao, 2 tablespoons almond butter (unsweetened/raw & whole30 compliant- check ingredients!)