Starting weight?

Options
StarChanger
StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
Hi all, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I've done a search and gotten no solid answer....

I am transitioning to NRoL4W after doing SL5x5 for over half a year now. Frankly, I love the simplicity of SL, but I feel like 1) I've reached the heaviest I can safely do on my home squat rack (no safety catch) and 2) that my body is getting accustomed to the same moves 3) I feel like I should be doing "more" than these few moves to progress further??

I have read the book cover to cover...I have downloaded, printed, and put my workout logs in a binder to keep track. I'm ready to start, TONIGHT...except for the life of me, I cannot find where the proposed starting weights for things like my squats and deadlifts are!! HALP!

In addition, I know I'm supposed to be "resting" every other day but can add some other "non-lifting" exercises. Because one of my goals is to become more flexible and improve my balance, I would like to do bodyweight exercises (i.e.: YaYOG) and yoga on the off days, with only one true "rest" day a week (I have a lot of weight to lose still...~75lbs). I know he's fine with yoga, but what are opinions on throwing the YAYOG in there?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No starting weights are suggested, so you can stop looking:) . On my non lifting days, I still kept my cardio, running and cycling, I think yoga would compliment the program nicely, but I would be warty of yayog (that stands for you are your own gym right?). I don't think it will give your muscles enough time to repair and may compromise your lifting days.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My understanding of choosing a starting weight is trying varying weight until you find the weight that you can JUST finish the reps in a set with GOOD FORM. Maintaining proper form with each exercise will dictate how much you lift for 2 or three set of 10 or 12, etc. Each training session you should be adding some weight or choosing higher difficulty levels exercises in each category. If you have a good idea of your max for squats etc. Start with about 25% less of that weight to begin with. Once you get the hang of this program you'll appreciate how you can switch out different moves while staying true to each category. I agree that it's better to avoid weight training exercises on you tween days and stick with cardio.