Recipes and Food Questions

Options
vslnrunner
vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
I know sometimes I get sick of cycling through the same meals and snacks so I thought having a board where we can swap recipes and ask food related questions would be helpful! Also, a few of you had mentioned food accountability and ideas in your intros.

Here's one of my favorite snacks/treats.

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup of whatever sweetener you use (or 1c equivalent if you're using stevia etc)
1 egg

Mix together to form a dough. Drop large teaspoon size balls on cookie sheet. You should get about 15 cookies from this recipe. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. They are a little bit crumbly but so so good. They're even better and less crumbly the second day!

Replies

• NyxButterfly
    NyxButterfly Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if this would work with Nutella and no addition sugar..... hmm.... *looks at pantry*
  • vslnrunner
    Options
    I'm not sure, since Nutella seems to be thinner than peanut butter. Doesn't hurt to try it though.
  • KatyFace9801
    KatyFace9801 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat. I found a really good site that gives some good substitute options (one particular brand of fake chicken strips that is soy free, replacing some meets with egg whites or marinated tofu or beans, etc...). If there are any other non meat eaters doing the plan I would love to swap recipes with you!
  • KatyFace9801
    Options
    Oh, I do have one question: I do not intend to buy the results and recovery formula. Can anyone tell me the nutritional info on it so that I can find something comparable at the local health store? Or would eating a piece of fruit with some nut butter soon after serve the same purpose?

• vslnrunner
    Options
    I'm not buying it either. I'm just going to have a protein shake after or something.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can Google it for confirmation, but one of the most inexpensive and best post workout drinks is chocolate milk.
  • KatyFace9801
    Options
    I've seen that! Oddly, I don't really like chocolate milk, but was thinking maybe mix 1/4 a cup with almond milk and like a banana or something
  • Flyingsolo07
    Options
    Katy,

The almond milk and bananas is a good idea. I suggest adding in a touch of whey protein powder (peanut butter or chocolate is my preference with bananas), some ice cubes, and blend it up to make a really good shake.
  • Flyingsolo07
    Options
    Anyone tried or going to try Shakeology? I have a 30-day supply of the Chocolate flavor coming in sometime next week. It was really expensive so I hope it's worth the hype.
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Any other low-carbers? That peanut butter cookie recipe was spot on!

I use Premier Protein Original Chocolate - affordable and not bad tasting. It's not great, but I've yet to find a super high protein drink that is.

A lot of my fb friends are drinking Shakeology.... too many carbs for me (and a bit pricey).

Steph
  • ania_w1981
    Options
    Hey Katy, I'm vege too! I think it's a bit harder when you don't eat meat to stick to a diet, as we are already a bit limited in our choices. Eggs/tofu/cottage cheese might get a bit boring quite quickly. How are you coping?
  • NyxButterfly
    Options
    Not a recipe but I've re-discovered strawberries! XD I forgot how nice they taste....
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    For the meat eaters out there...one of the hardest things you will do is minimize fat. Low-carbers use fat for energy, so its not their problem. But the INSANITY meal plan (Michi's Ladder) tells us to ingest 40/40/20% Protein/Carb/Fat. Your aid in this nutrition battle will be the lean chicken.

With cows, it is kinda hard to separate the fat, because it takes away from the taste. But if you want ground beef, then you can fry it, rinse it, blot it, and re-season it. This takes away over 50% of the listed fat content (source below). Throw in some veggies for some carbs, maybe a little rice, and some cheese, and you have a tasty 4-500 calorie dish! Filling too!

Take a look:

http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_files/reducing fat in ground beef.pdf
    (prices are a bit outdated, but information is still current)
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    Also....I have found myself burning more calories at night on the nights I drink a glass of milk before bed. There is a protein that is harder for the body to digest, so it works harder to digest it, and therefore burns more calories.

I do find dairy as a great protein supplement (for the no/lo-carbers), as well as a dietary aide. Dairy is always on sale, too, so check your wednesday ads. Walmart pricematches with the ads. I just saved $8 on a $50 grocery bill.
  • NyxButterfly
    Options
    I've re-discovered apples! XD Yeah, I know, seems odd but I really haven;t had fruit in at least a year if not 2 so it's kinda nice to re-discover them.