Deadlifts

Options
M00NPYE
M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
In the book, what are the difference between deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts? I'm on stage 7 and am embarrassed to say I cant remember! Is it Romanian where your legs stay straight and the deadlifts are where your knees bend more? I looked on YouTube and that just has me more confused.

Thanks!

Replies

• danagolding
    Options
    A Romanian deadlift is where you lower the bar until just below your knees. You want to keep your back in its natural arch by pushing your hips back and allowing your knees to bend slightly. Then push your hips forward as you straighten your torso and pull the bar back to starting position.

A conventional deadlift is where you squat down and pull the bar up your shins as you stand. Once the bar is past your knees push your hips forward and pull your shoulder blades together. Pause at the top and then control the weight on the way down (back to starting position).
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    got it thanks!!
  • kerbyd13
    kerbyd13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    General question about dead lifts, do you guys use the bar and add plates or do you use the bars that have the weights set, i.e 20, 30, 40. I am currently using the bar that has the weight already set, but i'm not sure if this is OK.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Preloaded barbells are fine for the RDL. However, you have to be careful using them for the regular DLs. They typically set the bar too low for a regular DL. If you are an experienced lifter, that's fine, but if you are just learning form, it's easy to hurt your back going too low. You can set the weights on a few steps to make it the appropriate height(somewhere in the middle of the shin). Most gyms have 10lb bumper weights for the oly bar so that you never have to go lower than a 45lb plate would allow.
  • kerbyd13
    kerbyd13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im going to have to look for those bumper weights. What is the alternative if my gym doesn't have those?
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    I suggest just adding the weights to the 45lb barbell... unless your starting out and 45 pounds is too much for you. I've never liked using the pre-weighted ones
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Im going to have to look for those bumper weights. What is the alternative if my gym doesn't have those?

I think most people recommend sitting the bar on steps or boxes until you can lift the bar plus at least the 45lb plates(so 135lbs total) if you don't have the bumpers. You don't want the bar too high so that you short your range of motion, but just setting it on a low box or step will help.