New and have a few questions about running in the cold

Options
sumnerfan
sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
Hi everyone. This is the year I'm going to run a half marathon. I'm really excited about the prospect of completing, but I'm brand new to running outside. It's very cold, and I'm not exactly sure what I should wear. I know running gear can be pretty pricey so I'd like to get it right the first time. What are my must haves? What else should I be aware of as far as running in the cold? I really don't need to get sick.

Thanks.

Replies

• AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    How cold? I'm in New Hampshire and simply run on the treadmill in the middle of the winter as there just aren't enough layers for me to run outside if it is in the single digits or below! The rest of the time when it is bearably cold, I wear layers -- long sleeved running shirt, windbreaker, fleecy if needed.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have run in negative double digits and don't recommend it. Really there weren't enough layers to possibly keep me warm in those conditions. As cold as about 0* I can run but I'd prefer it to be about 12-15* or warmer. Below freezing I wear fleece lined insulated compression tights. Depending on how cold it is I will also wear another pair of running pants or capris on top of those. I layer tech tees (some long and some short) for tops depending on how cold it is. I also have light runners "warm up" jackets and fleece lined tech hoodies. When it's really cold I wear a Columbia shell which is wind and water proof. I also wear either ear warmers, a beanie or a balaclava depending on how cold it is. Micro spikes or yak tracks are a great investment if you get a lot of snow/ice. There's a great site called dressmyrun.com that can help too. Good luck! (I love running outside!!!)