Some running motivation - stories

Options
arrseegee
arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
Hi fellow runners

I started C25K in November 2013 and am now building up to 10km. So far I'm really enjoying it and surprised myself by running for 45 mins this morning - my longest run ever.

I was checking a news website from home (New Zealand) and noticed a section where readers have submitted their stories about becoming runners, and how it's contributing to their lives.

The things they asked people to write about were:
- What motivated you to get active?
- How did you stay focused on your goals?
- What is it about running that makes you get out of bed on a cold winter's morning to pound the pavement?
- How has it impacted on your life in other ways?

I found it really interesting as well as motivating and have put the link below in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/assignments/from-couch-potato-to-running-bean

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    After having a baby in 2010 and another in 2011, I was 215 pounds and in the worst shape of my life. I hit bottom when I realized that I wasn't capable of walking a 5k. I had just gotten an iPhone and read about the C25k app. Since I'd never been capable of running when I was fit, I decided that being fat and flabby was exactly what was needed to be a successful runner. It worked.

The goals were concrete. I just needed to find 30 minutes to do that next run. It's just three times a week. I kept my head down and worked through the program without thinking about it much. Today, I use a similar strategy. I have a training plan and run 4-6 races a year to stay motivated.

- What is it about running that makes you get out of bed on a cold winter's morning to pound the pavement?
    Coffee. Seriously, one of my runs is to get coffee and then run back. Also, I'm pretty prone to runner's high. I just enjoy running (after the first mile). I love what it has done for my body. I love being able to say "I'm a runner"

I never, ever thought I was capable of running. Fast forward: I was astounded to discover that last week, almost exactly a year after my graduation from C25k, I actually medalled in my age group for a 5k trail race. Today, anytime I think "I can't" I also think "I also thought I couldn't run." I've learned to doubt my self-doubt.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    ^^^ That is so awesome Vardaeml !!

I look at my genes really. Since I was a teenager I have taught myself that fast food was convenient, easy and so damn tasty. As I have gotten older, I have watched what being overweight has done to my family members, how hard a time my father has getting around and he is only 62!! I don't want to be that way, I want to be able to move around without pain, and I knew losing weight would help get me where I want to ultimately be. Running has helped to push me to levels I did not think I could go, I never thought that I would be able to run a mile again, let alone a 5k, and a half marathon was not even thought about!

I started C25k in May 2013 with a goal in mind of running a full 5k in Dec. 2013 I figured that would give me enough time even if I had to redo weeks of c25k. (I did not have much confidence in myself). Then about July 5th, I was volunteered to do a half marathon as part of a charity group to help raise money for a cause near and dear to my heart. Needless to say motivation had to kick in quick since I was still not even done with the C25k program. I started raising money for the run and my focus was to just cross the finish line, I did not care if I was dead last, I was going to finish because I did not want to let anyone down. Then once that race was done, I made sure I had more races in line to keep the focus going!

Now I have learned to like running, I like the quite solitude of the early morning runs, the peacefulness that it brings. I know that sounds cheesy but, it really is nice to be alone in your head sometimes. I live in Southern California, so we don't really have to chilly of mornings but just the blast of cold air in your face as you run is the best feeling!!

I have learned a lot about myself from running, I have learned just how much I can do and how my body will react. Not only have I lost some weight. But I have lowered my resting heart rate, I have lowered my cholesterol. And I am looking more toned. Having done the first half marathon and then doing a second one, and being signed up for the third. its all a thrill. And I love to enjoy those morning jogs. I got my older sister back running, my cousin is now running and they are both doing these races with me. That is the greatest feeling really! I never knew I had it in me.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Great stories Varda and Raasy! I loved your assumption that as 'fat and flabby' you'd be a better runner than when you were fit, what a fantastic way to look at it rather than being too scared to even give it a go, Varda.

Bearing in mind I have only been running since November...

I lost over 40lb last year and did that mainly through diet. I know from previous experience that I am much better at maintaining a healthy diet if I have some sort of physical activity that requires me to be eating well, and I had also attempted to run before (but never been very successful). I thought if I had the ability to lose weight slowly and steadily then I also had the ability to learn to run slowly and steadily rather than my previous method of "oh god dammit if I can't run at 6 mph in my first week then WHAT is the point" and quitting.

My goals were to finish C25K, and now to finish the 10k program. It's only 3 runs a week, I currently have the luxury of time to do it, and I am excited about the prospect of being able to run 10km. I never thought I could do it, so now I want to show myself I can. I am living in Germany and don't know many people aside from my boyfriend's friends, but have discovered there is a weekly running group in my city. In order to join that and make social contacts I need to be able to run for an hour, so that is another reason why I want to complete the 10k program.

I have three runs to do a week and if I don't do today's run then I'm going to get behind on my program, and I don't want to risk losing my motivation. I feel really proud of myself when I have finished a run, particularly if I have been having an argument with myself in my head during the run, e.g.
    "Why don't we stop now, I've done x number of minutes, that's enough."
    "NO, I are going to finish this."
    "But I can't be bothered."
    "Actually I CAN be bothered, this is good for you and you are loving it."
    "All right, you're the boss."
    "Damn right I am."

Also I have two breakfasts on running days, one before and one after; I really like museli and stewed apple and knowing if I go for a run I get to come home and eat another bowl is another motivator.

For the first winter in about a decade I haven't got depressed, and I think a large part of that is because I am getting out and doing something active a few times a week. I have lost another 6lb since starting running, and my legs are starting to look quite toned. The other cool thing is I have been on a few runs with my partner, which was not something I thought would have been possible a year ago.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

About nine months ago the pace at work changed and I suddenly realised that working until 2100 every night wasn't doing me any good. I also bought a new suit, in the usual size and found that it was a bit too tight.

I've always cycled but was on a week off and doing a lot of time on the road, but needed to find a way to keep the phys going when I went back to work. I was doing a lot of travel, lots of hotels nights, so the bike wasn't an option and I hate indoor gyms. So I did some research on running and found the NHS Couch to 5K programme, a podcast series that I could run alongside Runkeeper.

My goals shifted, initially it was about weight loss but I hit a plateau and ended up thinking about what I wanted to achieve. That turned into more general fitness; resting heart rate, endurance and the like

I prefer to run in the evening, it forces me to get away from work by 1830 and go out for an hour or so. As well as that I find it quite therapeutic, particularly my long run. It helps clear my head, and as well as the physical effects it helps keep the stress in check.

I'm generally more relaxed and probably performing better at work as I'm more focused.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    What motivated you to get active?

I started C25K in January of 2013 and finished with my first 5K on March 23, 2013 (my birthday). 4 months before that I was failing military weigh ins (weighing in at 178 lbs believe it or not) and hated running like the plague. But, in December 2012 I quit smoking (December 21st to be exact) and decided to turn my life around. I was one of those New Year's resolutionists. I came on here and started counting calories and picked up C25K and P90X. Ended up dropping P90X, as doing that and C25K was just way over whelming lol. My motivation was to stay in the military and be able to pass the new PT requirements that was rumored to be coming out.

How did you stay focused on your goals?

I stay focused on my goals by reminding myself where I was a year ago. I keep setting smaller short term goals that help me achieve my long term goals. For example, I have 4 half marathons planned for this year in preparation for the jump to a full in 2015.

What is it about running that makes you get out of bed on a cold winter's morning to pound the pavement?

I love the feeling I have after it. Each run ends with the same amount of achievement I felt that day I crossed the finish line at my first 5K. The runs themselves vary. I have good runs and bad runs, but the end is always the same with a huge amount of pride and self satisfaction in what I finished. And it doesnt' matter the distance....it can be 1 mile or 13 and they all feel the same in the end. Plus, the runner's high I get at the end of long runs helps too, lol.

How has it impacted on your life in other ways?

I make much better nutrition choices now. My food revolves around my runs a lot. If I have a long run the next day, I know not to eat a very heavy meal that night or I might pay for it in the morning (runner's trots suck, btw). I look and feel good, and it shows in all my pictures (or so Varda says lol). I have met the most wonderful running group out there, and my Schweddy Belle Sisters are one of a kind.
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who have posted their stories!