Jillian Michaels triathlon... lol

Options
Did a forum search and didn't see this anywhere, but apparently Jillian Michaels did a sprint triathlon (Malibu) back in September. And her results? Abysmal considering her fitness gimmick, and overall DFL

http://www.nauticamalibutri.com/results.htm (celebrity, classic)

0.5mi swim: 00:20:57
18mi bike: 1:05:55
4mi run: 00:47:07

Bottom line:
If you want to get better at running, run.
If you want to get better at biking, bike.
If you want to get better at swimming, swim.
If you want to get better at a Jillian Michaels DVD, then... you know :)

Replies

• anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    http://www.nauticamalibutri.com/results.htm (celebrity, classic)

0.5mi swim: 00:20:57
    18mi bike: 1:05:55
    4mi run: 00:47:07

Those look like my numbers...I feel so much better right now! HA! I love you for posting this!!!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I haven't even done any training and I'm pretty sure I can beat that. Tonight. In the snow.

OK, maybe not in the snow.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I haven't even done any training and I'm pretty sure I can beat that. Tonight. In the snow.

Oh Russell...I would LOVE to see this!!! HAHAHAHA!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I thought her results were pretty comical considering her status as a fitness guru and the hype that surrounded her participation and I thought it was completely lacking in class when she blamed her equipment.

I can't imagine why she would have worn a wetsuit for the swim if she hadn't trained in one.......
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Ha ha.
    I believe it. And I bet you could do it in the snow too.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Uh... her time is right there with mine for my first sprint. considering I came into that maybe 40-50 pounds overweight, and with only a couple months of actual training... she should be less than pleased with herself.

Paper tiger performance there.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I can't decide if I should defend her or rip her.

On one hand, how does someone like her not have her bike checked before a race? And that's assuming she can't do basic maintenance/adjustments herself. In the 4 years I've been racing, I've only had 2 bike issues (and one was a flat during the race). Sure, things happen, I get it, but that just seems a little too coincidental. And WTF is "the wrong wetsuit"???

On the other hand, triathlon is a pretty unique beast, and most people know that focused training rarely has meaningful benefits in other areas/disciplines. So why are we surprised that she struggled? Her times aren't THAT bad... and pretty respectable for a first timer.
  • dbmata
    Options
    To give her the benefit of the doubt, she probably didn't do any specific training, and her t1 time was bad, I wonder if she had practiced getting cleared of swim gear, and into ride gear.

She looks good in her suit though.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    As some have said what she does doesn't necessarily translate to triathlon. I've seen a lot of otherwise fit people flounder at tri and lots of visually out of shape people excel.

That said as a fitness professional I wouldn't go out there and embarrass myself in a fitness endeavor. Her brand can probably withstand it though.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think her brand is at any risk.
  • ziegman49
    ziegman49 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing to take away from her results are that a person is only good at what they train for. I go into a crossfit gym and I will likely be puking my guts out halfway. Take one of them to an olympic triathlon, and I doubt the are off the bike before most of us cross the finish line. Props to her for taking on multisport.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Her brand will certainly survive this but if I were her I'd be embarrassed as heck because she screams at people not to make excuses and she's complaining that her wetsuit made her float. I would be very willing to bet she didn't train at all.

No, I might not survive a cross fit session with her. Yes, she looks 1000 times better in her suit than I do or likely ever will, but the fact remains that I'm not a trainer, AND I'm obese (now, after dropping more than she weighs) and my times 10 weeks before my first event are on par with hers.

Swim + Bike + Run = <3
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

On one hand, how does someone like her not have her bike checked before a race? And that's assuming she can't do basic maintenance/adjustments herself. In the 4 years I've been racing, I've only had 2 bike issues (and one was a flat during the race). Sure, things happen, I get it, but that just seems a little too coincidental. And WTF is "the wrong wetsuit"???

On the other hand, triathlon is a pretty unique beast, and most people know that focused training rarely has meaningful benefits in other areas/disciplines. So why are we surprised that she struggled? Her times aren't THAT bad... and pretty respectable for a first timer.

I agree...but at the same point, I'm pretty sure I can lift more than she does. Her workouts are a joke.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I agree...but at the same point, I'm pretty sure I can lift more than she does. Her workouts are a joke.

I'm pretty sure there are people who can lift more than you do - does that make your workouts a joke? Since when does someone's performance relative to another make them a failure? Sure, at the higher levels of competition that's true, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about a first time triathlete.

Rip her for making excuses... fine. But don't rip her because she didn't meet some stupid expectation people have of her based on her brand/image. She's not a seasoned triathlete, she's never claimed to be. She's a motivator.

• TriLifter
    Options

I'm pretty sure there are people who can lift more than you do - does that make your workouts a joke? Since when does someone's performance relative to another make them a failure? Sure, at the higher levels of competition that's true, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about a first time triathlete.

Rip her for making excuses... fine. But don't rip her because she didn't meet some stupid expectation people have of her based on her brand/image. She's not a seasoned triathlete, she's never claimed to be. She's a motivator.

There are lots of people who can lift more than I can. Hundreds, maybe thousands of them right here on MFP. I'm referencing her videos that use 5 lb weights (and yes, I used them many years ago , so I know what they entail). I was just making a point on her image vs. what she might actually capable of.

You're taking this awfully personally, so I apologize for whatever I must have said to upset you...but I'm sure what your attacking me accomplishes.
  • dbmata
    Options
    No one attacked you, no drama please.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

There are lots of people who can lift more than I can. Hundreds, maybe thousands of them right here on MFP. I'm referencing her videos that use 5 lb weights (and yes, I used them many years ago , so I know what they entail). I was just making a point on her image vs. what she might actually capable of.

You're taking this awfully personally, so I apologize for whatever I must have said to upset you...but I'm sure what your attacking me accomplishes.

Sorry, it's not personal to you... it's more the sense I get that attacking her (and almost anyone, for that matter) is more because it's trendy than thoughtful/intentional.

These boards are full of people ripping dietary approaches, exercise routines, trainers, doctors, etc simply because it's the trendy thing to do, rather than because they actually know anything about the subject at hand. I'm not saying you're one of them, but it does apply to the overwhelming majority on this site.

Jillian Michaels is a motivator first, and she markets her programs to beginners. And she's damn good at it - both the motivating and the marketing. How and why that translates to top tier triathlon performance is beyond me.

• TriLifter
    Options

Sorry, it's not personal to you... it's more the sense I get that attacking her (and almost anyone, for that matter) is more because it's trendy than thoughtful/intentional.

These boards are full of people ripping dietary approaches, exercise routines, trainers, doctors, etc simply because it's the trendy thing to do, rather than because they actually know anything about the subject at hand. I'm not saying you're one of them, but it does apply to the overwhelming majority on this site.

Jillian Michaels is a motivator first, and she markets her programs to beginners. And she's damn good at what she does. How and why that translates to top tier triathlon performance is beyond me.

Okay, this is something I can agree with 100%. I like Jillian Michaels and I'm not afraid to say it. She's got an attitude and that's her brand. Sometimes it's hard to remember that she is marketing to beginners.
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Jillian did go public to state that she had not really trained for the triathlon. As someone training to do my first tri in April, it was hysterical for me to listen to her describe the amazing ways she found to blow off her training. My absolute favorite was that she never actually swam the distance before the race. Instead, she walked the length of a pool, decided she could make that swim (in open water) easy and got her wetsuit the day of the race.

She was in no way prepared, and she owned that. I think the fact that she eventuallyt told the truth about the race went far to earn her some public forgiveness.