LACK OF DISCUSSIONS ON THIS SITE

Options
Is it my imagination or do we have fewer people coming on and enjoying our conversations and comments? It seems that sometimes I come on and posts are only from like 2 - 3 days ago.........then weeks. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Do you mean on MFP in general or just the 60 Years Old and Over group? The whole site is very busy these days.

This group slowed over Christmas but has had new members join and there is some posting. But we all have busy lives.

I am just getting over my work shifts cycle, I do 12.5 hr days, so my posting slows or halts when I am in a work cycle. I'm sure others have things that effect them too.

The best way to get the conversation going is to post something like you did :happy:
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I agree that it slowed down in December/January, but is picking up again. I know I've been suffering with the "winter blues" myself and can't get myself to do much more than log my food and do a quick check on my friends. I'm trying to do better because I realize this site is about support and encouragement. Stick with us, ireallyneedit, the discussions will pick up again.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged here too....... but really trying to pop on most days now....because it really does help! :smile:

Jean
  • ireallyneedit
    ireallyneedit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE JUST ENJOY ALL YOU GOOD PEOPLE
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do better! Even typing with wet nail polish right now. Going to Outback steakhouse for dinner with my DD and DGD!
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I teach school, so most evenings and nights, I'm grading papers or planning. I do good to get my daily food in. But when there is time, I'll be here; even if it is just to do a quick read to keep me motivated.:smile:
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I just joined the site...had signed up awhile ago but didn't use any of the tools.
    I am almost 64, am a carboholic, have type2 diabetes and would like to lose 50 lbs.

The good news: I had an EKG today, my heart is in good shape, my cholesterol levels are good, A1C was a bit high,
    but otherwise... I'm in good shape for somebody who's in bad shape. haha

The bad news... I have been careful with my diet for so long that it is getting hard to find ways to cut back..so clearly I need to exercise more. The irony is (as you know) that it's not as easy as it used to be and I've always hated exercise.

So. That's it in a nutshell. I'm here to ONCE AGAIN try to overcome a lifetime of bad eating habits..

I'm looking forward to getting some tips and encouragement from other people my age.
    At this point, the "regular" weigh loss advice you find in other groups is just not practical. It seems to be aimed at much younger people and reading those tips just makes me want to go make brownies.

We need to come up with encouragement for each other, and some practical advice. I'm frankly weary of the fight.
    Years of counting carbs, saying no to just about everything from orange juice to baked potatoes... it'd depressing.

Forgive my whining. But. Dang, I've been at this for years and I'm looking for help in developing a new outlook and enthusiasm for working on a healthier lifestyle...

Thanks!
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I became active on MFP (for the second time) a few months ago. I had been on WW and it was OK but I wanted to track percentages of what I was eating more closely than WW does. On WW a point is a point and I want to know how many carbs, protein, and fat I am eating so MFP is better for me at this time. One of my favorite quotes is from Fay Weldon "If you do nothing unexpected, nothing unexpected happens." With WW I was not doing anything except for counting points. As an over-60 male I am in a distinct minority on MFP but an advantage is that as an over-60 male I've been around various blocks enough that most things don't bother me. I figure out what works for me and am willing to try different approaches. If that strategy works - great; if not, I'll modify what I am doing and try something new. That brings me to another quote, this from Nagarjuna "I always knew that one day I would take this road. But yesterday, I did not know that today would be that day." My "road" today is a LCHF approach.

Low carb does not mean no carb and I have a reasonable amount of vegetables (especially colorful ones - almost any color except white - with cauliflower being an exception), light on fruit (to cut back on sugar) and very low on grain products. For me, this has turned out to be a fairly easy program to follow and results in about 0.5 pounds per week loss. As it warms up outside and I can get back to a more normal walking routine I expect that will increase slightly. Sometime within the next couple of weeks I am going to have a regular set of blood tests done and see how this approach is impacting those parts I cannot see. Unlike some others I do not have any known medical issues, i.e., no diabetes, blood pressure is about 117/73, getting close to not being overweight - but want to lose another 13-23 pounds (I've lost 13 since starting this "diet"; 10 since rejoining MFP). As CRISBTRUE noted it is not as easy as it used to be. Getting to the gym and doing something worthwhile is not as much fun as it once was. I'm going to try to start a C25K program, not because I want to run a 5K but I figure if I can build up to 30 minutes of running (or in my case a slow jog!) I can find time to get that in several days a week without having to do a lot of planning and 30 minutes times 3-4 days a week seems to be the sweet spot for health.
  • ireallyneedit
    Options
    bravo keep up the good work...interesting for sure.
  • ireallyneedit
    Options
    Me too!!!
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi - I joined this group last year but have been lurking in the weeds I guess. Time to get out and engage! I've lost 67 lbs since March 2012 and have roughly 23 lbs left to lose. I've been struggling with my addictions (carbs of course with sugar being high on that list) for the past year and up and down the scale in small increments. I'm back on track and just want to get this weight off and finally get to real maintenance. I'm glad I checked with y'all today! So I'm finding a lower carb lifestyle works best for me in terms of cravings but there is no bad food - I just need to manage it better than I did for decades!! The good news, besides the weight loss, is that I was taken off of my blood pressure medications for good last year. Have a great day!! I'll be back...
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    LOL, I've been at mfp for so long, most of my friends have dropped away! I have been on a plateau of sorts for 2 years, jokingly telling myself that I'm learning to do maintenance. Time to get serious!
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    I think the hardest part of the struggle is to develop a new mindset.

I lost 20 pounds a awhile back (yes it's mostly come back), and it wasn't THAT hard then... 10 years ago.

I had a free gym at work so it was pretty easy to get into a routine of stopping by 4 days a week and working out for 30 minutes...
    and as for food.. well.. after you've worked off those calories, putting them back in my mouth was not appealing.

The best thing I managed to do for myself was.... to visualize myself as a thin person, and BE that person.
    For example..
    What does a fit, thin person eat for lunch? A sandwich and chips? Probably not.
    So. I would put myself in Thin Person Mode and BE that person.

In short.. if we sit around all day thinking about all the stuff we can't eat, or how we miss that chocolate snack in mid-afternoon, or how GOOOOOD that doughnut would taste.. we are already defeated.

But (for me) when I shifted my attitude to see myself as ALREADY successful at adopting the new habits and lifestyle.. I succeeded.. Sure, I had days where I could not pass up a cookie. But seeing yourself as the person you want to be give you an edge, rather than seeing yourself as a "fat person" who is being denied foods that you crave--but have put you in that rut in the first place.

=) Going to remind myself EVERY day to apply this to ME.
  • ireallyneedit
    Options
    Whining is important we are here for you.
  • ireallyneedit
    Options
    Very inspirational - wow for loosing so much weight and you are now ready again for the journey keep up the good work.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    I try to not whine.
    But.

Sometimes it's SURE hard. Being a type 2 diabetic puts so many limitations out there that sometimes it feels like even GOOD food is a NO-NO.

*sad face* ha