Chronic colds - suggestions, please!

MaggyMaizy2
MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
I have had one cold after another since Christmas. My doctor had me on two rounds of antibiotics and one of steroids. Two weeks after finishing the last round of Augmentin, the cold is back (or another one has moved in). This isn't just sniffles - it's stuck in bed, hacking and coughing, nasty.

Just a little background: I had RNY surgery 18 months ago. I'm a high school teacher. I take my bariatric vitamins daily.

Please - suggestions for getting and staying healthy!

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    My 22 year old son is a college student--so he comes in contact with germs daily. His first three semesters, he was sick constantly. Colds, flu, you name it and he had it. He had one professor who was ALWAYS sick. Well, he started taking Airborne. First he took a mega dose (I think 5 or 6 chewables twice a day) and after that, he began a once daily regimen--along with Claritin once a day. It's been 2 years and he hasn't been sick once. I'm not exaggerating at all. Now I have never read reports of whether Airborne and allergy meds are actually proven to work, but I do know a couple of other people who swear by it. I think it has something to do with the combination of the high doses of Vitamin C and echinacea, among other natural remedies that seem to do something. I think anything is worth a try.
    This year has been a terrible winter all across the board. Hope you feel better soon--whatever you find that works for you. I have been very fortunate since my surgery 16 months ago to not have been sick once, other than an ear infection caused by my hearing aids. Good luck!
  • MaggyMaizy2
    Thanks for the input, Ann! I started on Airborne last night. I think I'll up the dose. My hubby keeps harping at me to take vitamin C. Maybe he's onto something! :smile:
  • Vit C and Zinc are good ones. Now - my source is basically my memory but, a study was done on Vit C and Zinc to aid colds/immune system. It proves so successful the trial was stopped and now they are working on exactly what dose.

I take a Vit C 1000mg with Zinc and that has really helped me, especially at the beginnings of feeling a cold coming.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    If anyone is taking iron supplements, and we all probably should, it is absorbed better with vitamin C. We need 200 mg of vitamin C for every 30 mg of elemental iron, so that's another good reason to have vitamin C besides cold prevention.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    Thank you for the suggestions! Will try all of the above. :happy:
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    If anyone is taking iron supplements, and we all probably should, it is absorbed better with vitamin C. We need 200 mg of vitamin C for every 30 mg of elemental iron, so that's another good reason to have vitamin C besides cold prevention.

Absolutely! Which is why my multivitamin is high in vitamin C. Thanks for always contributing such great, essential information!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    I have had one cold after another since Christmas. My doctor had me on two rounds of antibiotics and one of steroids. Two weeks after finishing the last round of Augmentin, the cold is back (or another one has moved in). This isn't just sniffles - it's stuck in bed, hacking and coughing, nasty.

Just a little background: I had RNY surgery 18 months ago. I'm a high school teacher. I take my bariatric vitamins daily.

Please - suggestions for getting and staying healthy!

go see an allergist also with RNY, time release antibiotics my not be absorbed properly
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    I use essential oils to keep colds away and to get rid of them FAST. Last year I had to call off 11 days due to sickness. I started using oils and I havent been sick once all year. Message me if you are interested in learning more