Deadlift Back Pain

Options
lavendy17
lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
Hi group. I'm still new here, and I have a lot of questions but am trying to ask one at a time :)
So, today was Stage 1, Workout 2-B. i.e. this is my second time doing the deadlift. I watched many videos on form, and I really try to get my back straight or in natural curve, but I think I am arched a bit. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
I am using an empty barbell that is initially 45lbs, and I add a 10lb weight on each side = 65lbs total. The barbell is resting on something so I have the minimal height to lift it since the 10lbs weights are small.
The problem is that I am feeling some pain in my lower back, and I am afraid that once I start adding more weight, I will injure myself. But perhaps this pain is natural muscular pain and I am simply straining the muscle and making it stronger?

Please help me as I am new to weight training. Thanks!!

Replies

• sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I had a little achiness the first day or two that I deadlifted, and really watched my form. I did, however, start with really low weights--if I were you, I'd drop it and see if that helps. Try a lighter ez curl bar with some plates--25 or 35 lbs altogether--and see how it goes. It'll help you sort out any form issues without hurting yourself.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel pain while you are doing it. A *bit* of soreness after lifting can be normal, but really shouldn't feel it in your lower back so much. Scale back the weight until you *know* your form is perfect.
    When I initially started dead lifting, I had some mobility issues and it took me months to realize that the motion I was doing was wrong. I didn't injure myself, thankfully, but I wasn't helping myself by ingraining the incorrect movement.
    First, do some squat to stands for warm up. This always loosens tight hips for me: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ExZwvdgAe6g&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DExZwvdgAe6g
    Then once you set your grip, push your chest up and shoulders down before beginning to lift. This has been key for me- it is hard to round your lower back when your chest is out and hips are back. When you lower the bar, lower it exactly as you lifted it. Sometimes it is easy to relax a bit and lose the neutral position of the spine on the way down.
    If you have a friend who lifts who will help you or can get a PT to watch your form, do it. Strength gains will follow great form. Good luck!
  • Jerseylotte
    Options
    If the pain is twingy/soreness in the small of the back, on either or both sides, between the spine and kidney area then it's probably your spinal erector muscles. Before deadlifting they might not have had much work to do :)

When I first began deadlifting (6 weeks ago, so no expert!!!) I had exactly this, not joint pain but muscular pain for a couple of days and then things sorted out. I did make extra certain that my form was top notch before carrying on though :)
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I lift pretty heavy now in my deadlift but I think this advice would also be true for someone just starting out on deads. Warm your back up first! I do back extensions before my deads to warm up. Also you shouldn't feel pain while performing the dead lift but some muscle soreness is COMPLETELY normal afterwards. And I always am sore in my lower back after deadlifts.
    If you're unsure of your form video yourself while do them and check your form!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good idea- thanks! I will ask my hubby to take a video when he's well enough to join me again in the gym (he hurt his back too a few weeks ago- he lifted something heavy and moved the wrong way or something).
    Meanwhile the discomfort is pretty much gone, and also I improved my form after re-reading material on it. I should also probably try to sit better in my chair- I think it's partially to blame too.