Flax seed trouble

Options
llfretwell
llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
I have been in ketosis for about 3 weeks now and have had trouble using the restroom :blushing: . I think it has currently been about 4 or 5 days since I've gone. Last night, I decided to start including some ground flax seed in my diet with hopes that it will help with that issue. I had 2 tablespoons last night with plenty of water. Woke up this morning (still haven't used the restroom) and the scale said I am 3 LBS heavier!!!!!!!! What the heck?!? Yesterday was a good day for me, as far as my carbs/diet is concerned. I know that the 3 lbs. is not fat that I've gained, but it still is disheartening to see the scale go back up! Could it be because I haven't used the restroom yet??

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you poop. It will be a glorious thing. lol
  • chilicoco
    chilicoco Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try some chia seeds. It seemed to help me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate helps me. I've had issues all my life (seen docs). Magnesium Citrate. Two capsules a day.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is extremely common and as long as you are in a state of ketosis your output will be significantly reduced. This part of being in keto always bugged me up until I realized how much less food was going in and how my body was more fully using what was taken in. You will likely eliminate soon and as for the 3 pounds do not sweat it, it will plunge soon. The flax seed will push through the bulk that is clogging your bowels but it is best to use it a couple times a day until you push through things, I take some every morning for this purpose and still do not go everyday like when I ate all the wrong foods.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of chia seeds - a few tbsp, lots of water throughout the the day and you'll be moving in no time!
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I find that coconut oil or MTC oil in my coffee every morning (think bulletproof coffee) does the trick. You could just do a does of the oil. TRUST ME you will be very regular. It's generally about 10-30 minutes after the coffee or oil that I need a bathroom break. :)
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Forget flax seed. I like magnesium citrate (Natural Calm brand). It dissolves in hot water. I drink it as a nightcap. Also, adding more coconut oil. HTH.
  • llfretwell
    Options
    Ya'll are great. Thank you so much! I think I'll try some magnesium citrate for a change. I actually drink bulletproof coffee every morning already so that hasn't been doing the trick. Hopefully I will get some relief! :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Ya'll are great. Thank you so much! I think I'll try some magnesium citrate for a change. I actually drink bulletproof coffee every morning already so that hasn't been doing the trick. Hopefully I will get some relief! :smile:
    Take a good look at the label, there are several different kinds of magnesium. Citrate seems the best for our needs lol. I use capsules.
  • llfretwell
    Options
    Went to Wal Mart this morning and looked for a Magnesium Citrate supplement and could only find Magnesium chloride. Where can I find what I need?
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Went to Wal Mart this morning and looked for a Magnesium Citrate supplement and could only find Magnesium chloride. Where can I find what I need?

I get "Natural Calm" (dissolves in water) at Whole Foods. A vitamin store would have a greater selection than Wal Mart, I bet.

If it's been five days or more and you're in discomfort, it's time for a laxative, maybe a stool softener, IMO. How can you stand it? Also, an MD told me that walking would help, too.
  • llfretwell
    Options

I get "Natural Calm" (dissolves in water) at Whole Foods. A vitamin store would have a greater selection than Wal Mart, I bet.

If it's been five days or more and you're in discomfort, it's time for a laxative, maybe a stool softener, IMO. How can you stand it? Also, an MD told me that walking would help, too.

Thanks for the advice. Thankfully, I have had a little "relief", but I still think I'm not "emptied" (for lack of better words). Anyway, I finally found Magnesium Citrate, but it's in the liquid form. How would I take the liquid form??
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A couple cups of dark roast coffee (Italian roast has the most oils). That get's me going in the morning, in more ways than one. Keep us posted so we can celebrate with you. :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better by now!
  • mixelated
    mixelated Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you logging water intake and keeping very, very well hydrated? That turned out to be my fix for the problem - 80+ ounces of water every day. Some say if you're in keto, double the recommended 8 glasses. Keto is dehydrating.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Ground flax and lots of water really helped me. Also, a tablespoon of supplementary fiber with 16 oz of water really helped.