Newbie Here

Options
Hi all! I started a keto/low carb diet a week ago. I have a goal of losing 60 pounds by my 50th birthday in September. I would love to make some new friends along the way and would appreciate any support, tips, or encouragement that comes my way.

Replies

• jessicamoye33
    jessicamoye33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fat & more fat! Fat is satisfying, helps with cravings & feels good on your mouth & brain. I'm a coconut oil junky. ????
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Use this guide to set up your diary to keto specifications (there's even a script that will calculate your net carbs* for you): http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/

* Net Carbs = Total Carboyhydrates - Fiber --- This is what we track on keto. Most say to stay under 20g net carbs per day, but your diary will tell you your limits after you set it up with the keto configuration. Fiber is not tracked as part of your carb intake because the body processes it differently.

Don't neglect your veggies! A lot of people make the mistake (well, I believe it to be a mistake) of thinking that the diet is only meat, meat, meat, cheese, and meat. There's plenty of room for veggies. Most of my carb intake for the day comes in the form of veggies. General rule is that you can eat it if it grows above ground. There are a couple of exceptions, but you'll get used to it all as time goes on.

If you start feeling ill on your first few days, that's totally normal. It's your body adjusting. You can normally make yourself feel better by having some salty chicken broth (like a bullion cube) and some sugar free Powerade. Those feelings can be caused by electrolyte issues, lack of sodium, or potassium issues.

Potassium is hard to come by on a keto diet, unless you're willing to eat your weight in spinach every day. I like to supplement using Morton's Lite Salt or No Salt. These are both salt substitutes that use potassium chloride. Tastes the same, but it let's you sprinkle potassium directly onto anything you eat.

I'd suggest steering clear of replacement foods for the first bit, while you get adjusted. There's plenty of time later for cream cheese pancakes, low carb wraps, and keto cheesecake. For now, try to get your body used to eating meats and veggies with plenty of fat. I like using avocado, coconut oil, and olive oil to keep myself satisfied. Try to steer clear from trans fats, that's the only thing pretty much everyone agrees isn't too great for you.
  • jessicamoye33
    jessicamoye33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, Crepes_!!!! I couldn't agree more. I had someone tell me the other day that my brain NEEEEEEDs carbs. I simply said, I get carbs. My brain & body are using ketones for energy, so it's all good. :-)