Returning To The C25K Program After Months Off

dixiewhiskey
dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
I completed the program in July 2013 but up until yesterday, I had not run in awhile. I'd like to start running again and wasn't sure where to start.

I went ahead yesterday and did W6 D2 (10 mins run, 3 mins walk, 10 minutes run) just to see how I felt. I was very surprised that I was able to complete it (and didn't feel like I was going to die).

I'm not sure if this is a good place to start or if I can just go ahead and run 30 minutes again.

What would you do? Has anyone taken a break from running or had an injury? Where did you start when running again? I think it's safe to say that I can get through more than just the intervals just not sure if 30 minutes is too much too soon.

Replies

• I am starting from scratch again, personally. I am going to start by building a base of fast walking and go from there. I'd LOVE to go straight to running, but I'm scared of getting injured. :/
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    I didn't have as long a break as you but I finished C25K in December and then was on holiday for a month when I wasn't running regularly. When I got back it took about 3 weeks of oscillating around 4.5-5k until I could get back to my previous level.

I think Week 6 is probably a good place to start, it still has decent amounts of walking in there so you can ease yourself back in. If you find Day 3 a struggle then repeat days 1 and 2 for a few times until you can manage the 22 mins running, then go onto Week 7.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    It really depends on where your fitness is and how long you've taken off. If you didn't complete Week 6, then you probably would need to start from scratch.

One of the things I've done when recovering from illness is to run half a mile, walk a minute, run half a mile, walk a minute, run half a mile, walk a minute, run half a mile. After running every other day for a week, I'm usually able to eliminate the walking breaks and just run for two miles. Then I build back up from there over the next couple of weeks to where I was before getting sick.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Hi there dixiewhiskey, sorry I'm hijacking your thread!

I have also started back after around 6 months off - I have no problem with the actual running (I did 10 mins run, a couple walk, another 13 minutes running, and a cool down walk), but I couldnt' walk for about 4 days afterwards due to incredibly sore calves.

I'm not sure what to do at this point - I can start further back on the C25K, assuming that something has happened to my calves that they need to adjust to running again?

Just not sure what would be best!

Any advice welcome :smile:

Steph
  • likitisplit
    Make sure you warm up before your run

Slow down during your run

Stretch after your run

Also consider massage and/or an Ice bath
  • StephieWillcox
    Thanks varda - I do stretch, but I absolutely did not warm up, so that could be the major issue here.

I'm going to take it back to an earlier week, maybe 4, where the running intervals are short and see if my calves cope ok (after an appopriate warm up)

I'll also look into an extended stretch session after the run.

Thanks again!
  • likitisplit
    Tight calves are an issue for many runners (especially me). You shouldn't have issues walking because of it. If if continues, you might want to see a sports chiropractor or physical therapist to make sure there's not an underlying problem and to show you how to deal with the issue.

Also, buy a foam roller and use it.
  • I started over at week one and just completed week 3 today . I have a 5k in April and another in May and my goals are to run the whole thing in both, I have done previous 5k's but using a run / walk method. From there I am going to begin training for a 10k that I'm registered for in September ! Good luck everyone :flowerforyou:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I ran for 30 minutes today (or W9) today. Feel great!

@Stephie did you keep a steady pace during your run? I had sore calves when I did the 2 x 10 minute run probably not just from not running for awhile but going too fast. I made sure to rest an extra day before doing more. The R.I.C.E method is really important too.. that helped me A LOT last year when I started C25k.
  • StephieWillcox
    I probably did go too fast - am going back to week 4 starting tomorrow, should be a nice way back into running, and will hopefully give my calves a bit more of a chance!

I also bought a foam roller at the weekend, and tried it out. IT HURTS SO MUCH. So clearly my calves are super tight. Will try to roll them each day to ease the pain!
  • likitisplit
    I probably did go too fast - am going back to week 4 starting tomorrow, should be a nice way back into running, and will hopefully give my calves a bit more of a chance!

I also bought a foam roller at the weekend, and tried it out. IT HURTS SO MUCH. So clearly my calves are super tight. Will try to roll them each day to ease the pain!

Once you start loving your foam roller, you'll be ready for the Bridge to 10k group :wink:
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Another threadjack here - I started back this week after breaking my fibula in December. I did Week 1 day 1 just to see how it felt, and it was surprisingly easy. I really thought I'd be completely back to square one, but I went ahead and bumped up to week 2. I'm sure I could bump farther, but I don't want to do too much too fast considering I'm still iffy on range of motion and balance.

I'd like to say I kept up other workouts while I was injured, but I didn't do a whole lot other than a few sessions on the bike and a couple of strength training days (which I know I need to do regularly). It was such a pleasant surprise to see that I hadn't lost everything I'd worked for.

My friend is in charge of a half marathon in town in April and before I got hurt, I was planning to at least try to walk it. I don't see that happening at this rate, but I think I'll at least be able to do the 5k that day. It's nice to be back in the game - fingers crossed that I can stay upright between now and then!
  • likitisplit
    The C25k program is only 9 weeks long - a drop in the bucket when you consider running for a lifetime. Take it easy and enjoy the process. Going too hard is just going to make it less fun and increase the chance of injury.
  • StephieWillcox

Once you start loving your foam roller, you'll be ready for the Bridge to 10k group :wink:

Yikes. That was my intention this time round - I need focus in my life otherwise I'm all over the place!

Run this morning was lovely, followed by a nice yoga stretch out... dreading the foam roller tonight!
  • JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    I am working on C25K for the second time as well. I have found this time that the back of my upper thigh feels extremely tight. It is slightly uncomfortable to run while it is hurting. Otherwise, I started this time at the pace I finished with this time, but haven't improved much from there. The first time around I improved way more from the beginning. I try not to worry about the pace, but I feel like I am going so slowly that it isn't even beneficial sometimes. I average 14-15 minute miles.