Proteiny food!

Options
I've been doing this for a week now and have upped the amount of protein in my diet quite a bit and I am so full!

I've always keep to a calorie deficit (and considerably higher than 1200..) and still eaten crisps, chocolate etc, but now I am snacking instead on nuts, greek yogurt, cheese and eating eggs/porridge for breakfast I'm really full well within my calorie allowance instead of just keeping to it as before.

Did anyone else find this at the start?

Replies

• elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal? are you hitting it with all these protein foods.

I am still finding it hard to hit my protein goals. I like carbs too much.

Anyone have any advice on some good protein rich snacks other than the before mentioned?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have it set at 143g, I don't always make it some days, but I'm within 5-7g at least.I don't eat protein bars or shakes, so mostly nuts and dairy products, little and often.

Carbohydrates are pretty much my favourite thing too. Nothing beats a big bowl of spaghetti carbonara, or chips.

I'm going through early menopause, so my GP told me to lift and I'm trying to get plenty of calcium as I don't want bone problems later.

Like I said, I'm eating within my calories, but now I have upped the protein, I'm struggling to eat them than when I used them for crumpets and butter, haha.

I've been eating fruit with ricotta as a snack, and fruit dipped in almond or peanut butter. I have been taking some full fat milk to work and having a cocoa to have in the mid-afternoon slump for a while, to keep me out of the biscuit tin.

I'd be interested in other snack ideas too.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Focus on Greek yogurt that offers more protein than carbs (Kroger's house brand Greek Yogurt has more protein than carbs per serving). Same thing with what ever protein powder you get.

Increase the serving sizes of the meat...for example 6 oz of chicken breast vs 4 oz, and then let the carbs fall in around that.

One of my favorite snacks are Greek Yogurt fruit salad...usually a mix of melon, berries and then low fat Greek Yogurt to turn it into a fruit salad. And then another I like is cottage cheese with cut up melon and almonds. That one sounds weird, but it is really, really good lol.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Definitely eggs, greek yogurt, nuts, and GOOD cheese. I am so much more satisfied with 1 ounce of good, hard, flavorful cheese than one of those cheese sticks. Not that there's anything wrong with them, they just aren't satisfying in any way for me.

I'll also have tofu, quinoa, beans, loads of shrimp!, fish, and will sub in an occasional protein shake or protein bar on my lift days for that extra protein kick.

Some days I struggle to get at least 100g because of all the carby things I want to eat. But on occasion, I've hit the 140 area. What it comes down to for me, is *planning*. I plan to eat as big a piece of protein as I can calorically for the meal, then add the veggies, oils, etc. afterwards. It usually works out to be a 40/30/30 pretty easily/naturally.

Also, I'm pescetarian, so I'm not eating loads of steak or chicken to reach my goal (128g). It can be done!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, I have started buying the Fage stuff instead of 'greek style' yogurt, it's more expensive but I can justify it now :smile:

I hadn't thought of prawns, they're a good snack with a bit of vinegar or chilli or something.

I have always been inclined to be heavier on the spuds/rice/pasta than meat, I am finding it difficult to up the portion size of meat/fish.

I like good cheese too, I've been taking stilton this week .
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat tuna.. With crackers so I can get some carbs (my fav).
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Focus on Greek yogurt that offers more protein than carbs (Kroger's house brand Greek Yogurt has more protein than carbs per serving). Same thing with what ever protein powder you get.

Increase the serving sizes of the meat...for example 6 oz of chicken breast vs 4 oz, and then let the carbs fall in around that.
    This. Also, egg whites are great. A veggie, egg white, cheese omelet is delish! Really you have to plan protein first and build a meal around it. My average lately is 150+ grams/day. I'm 145lbs, so it works out about right.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I love carbs so much, but I have absolutely noticed this on days where I am better at not eating so many carbs. For example, yesterday I had sushi for breakfast and was full for a good 5 hours on 200 calories. Today I had a bagel with cream cheese (400 calories) and I'm hungry already, 3 hours later.

Though, my calorie goal is 2000, so it's high enough for me to shoot for my .8-1g protein per pound of body weight and enjoy my favorite carbs, especially on workout days when I have a protein shake (30+g).
  • Yanks1996
    Yanks1996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed the peanut butter snack bar that's mentioned in the book. I make them on the weekend and then have them as a snack all week.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    I'm a bit leery about using powder or protein bars, but I'm finding it tough to eat that much protein in normal food in 1900 calories (I want to lose weight too). I do eat meat, but it only used to be two or three times a week and I'm a bit meated out.

Does anyone else not use powder/bars?