Chris Kresser

Options
Who watched the Dr Oz Paleo show with Chris Kresser?What did everyone think?
I must say,I thought it was very underwhelming and it seems as though Palep was changed to suit the masses
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/your-personal-paleo-code-diet-lose-weight-and-get-healthy-life?video_id=3217269778001

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I tried to. I was off work for the afternoon but didnt' get home from court until almost 3 pm. BOO HOO.

Dr. Mercola has had the same experience when he goes on Dr. Oz. He has to be careful about what he says and follow Dr. Oz's strict rules about what can be said and is never allowed to present the whole story. I expected it would be the same for Chris, but was hoping to be wrong.

PS. I'm also very disappointed in Dr. Oz and the way he has sold out so fully to the producers and sponsors. I think he meant well early on, even if I didn't completely agree, but now I don't trust a word coming out of his mouth. He mixes in just enough truth to keep everyone watching and appear credible and trustworthy but is still promoting the BS of his financial sponsors adequately enough to keep them happy and the masses misinformed.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I just found it weird.They were discussing something called the paleo code and whether or not you were code 1 or 2..apparently in one,you are able to have 3 cheat meals a week as long as the rest of the week you eat really well..these were SAD cheats
    Also,there was talk about how legumes are good for you as they are full of nutrients and fibre rich,what about the fact that they are very difficult to digest?
    The general message was great but it all seemed to be quite watered down in the end.I guess it's easier for people to digest like that.
    Also,one interesting thing mentioned was paleo was the most googled diet last year.With this exposure,it will reach loads more people.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I just HATE the promotion of "cheat meals". It goes against everything imo. Nothing like that or "code 1 or 2" or asserting that legumes are healthy is in the book at all (except perhaps the info aimed at vegans). The point is that just living a regular life means that we will never eat 100% Paleo, nor should we expect to. But purposefully planning multiple "cheat meals" per week? Just retarded. The people who do that will say what my aunt said "Paleo didn't work!" even though she didn't even try it…

It's not easier for the people to digest necessarily; it protects the sponsors profits. Too bad Chris didn't just avoid the show…… but, but, but, it will get more people to Google it, as you say, and they will get further clarification. So there's that.

I'm glad I missed it; I would have been screaming futilely at the television-as if that would help anything at all. :mad:
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Some people can do very well with cheat meals. Th first paleo book I read was Cordain's book back in 2009, and guess what? He even says that thre "open meals" can be acceptable. I did paleo like that for a long time, and still do allow an open meal on occasion. I just don't see myself never eating a piece of pizza again, or some nann bread with my Indian food. I don't have severe reactions to wheat, just a little gas/bloating. I do avoid it most of the time, but if I'm going out somewhere I make a choice before I go to either eat clean or take an open meal.

I lost over 40 pounds in 6 months, after being on a fitness prgram for 3 years and losing only 10 pounds in three years following the food pyramid/my plate. This was lost while eating 1-3 "open meals" a week. I also healed my inflammation and fixed my insulin resistance (even eating an average of 100 carbs a day). So, while the open meals may not work for everyone, especially people like my hubby that struggle with over eating or binge eating, it is a viable option for others.

I don't get the beans part though, blah!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Some people can do very well with cheat meals. Th first paleo book I read was Cordain's book back in 2009, and guess what? He even says that thre "open meals" can be acceptable. I did paleo like that for a long time, and still do allow an open meal on occasion. I just don't see myself never eating a piece of pizza again, or some nann bread with my Indian food. I don't have severe reactions to wheat, just a little gas/bloating. I do avoid it most of the time, but if I'm going out somewhere I make a choice before I go to either eat clean or take an open meal.

I lost over 40 pounds in 6 months, after being on a fitness prgram for 3 years and losing only 10 pounds in three years following the food pyramid/my plate. This was lost while eating 1-3 "open meals" a week. I also healed my inflammation and fixed my insulin resistance (even eating an average of 100 carbs a day). So, while the open meals may not work for everyone, especially people like my hubby that struggle with over eating or binge eating, it is a viable option for others.

Absolutely agree that it can work for some people IF they do not have severe metabolic issues. However, imo most Americans/Canadians do have severe metabolic issues as seen by the majority of sick/fat/depressed people.

Planning cheat meals is a strange concept to me. Of course we are going to have treats and eat some non-Paleo things on occasion. The 80/20 thing refers to that- aiming for 100% will ensure that we hit 80%. But purposefully planning meals of unhealthy food, on a weekly basis just seems to go against my health-based focus. I do have an indulgence occasionally, such as organic popcorn, but I'm not focused on it or planning it and I have to keep myself in check to not make it too frequent.

I've actually had too many indulgences lately (usually too much fruit) and have been struggling since Christmas. I know how to solve the problem and am almost back on track, but struggling with hunger and bingeing just to enjoy certain foods just isn't worth the problems that result. For me. While I am still mostly healthy (some depression has crept back in lately) my weight loss has stalled.

I've noticed that the people who seem successful with "cheat meals" also have rules what kinds of foods they will cheat with. I'm sure that makes a difference as well.

I'm with you on the beans. I remember trying to force myself to eat them for 20 years of my life because they are so healthy. Yet they made me sick, but I persisted because they are healthy. So silly. We must have faith in our own body!

Oh, but the point with the cheat meals is that Chris Kresser did not promote that in his book. lol
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I haven't read Kresser's book. I think after reading Cordain, Sisson, Fragoso, Gaudette, GCBC, Wolf and Neanderthin....I'm not sure I need to read any other paleo books...lol Although, I am thinking of reading The Perferct Health Diet, since i am one of the people that needs starches to keep my thyroid functioning properly.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree that it can work for some people IF they do not have severe metabolic issues. However, imo most Americans/Canadians do have severe metabolic issues as seen by the majority of sick/fat/depressed people.

Planning cheat meals is a strange concept to me. Of course we are going to have treats and eat some non-Paleo things on occasion. The 80/20 thing refers to that- aiming for 100% will ensure that we hit 80%. But purposefully planning meals of unhealthy food, on a weekly basis just seems to go against my health-based focus. I do have an indulgence occasionally, such as organic popcorn, but I'm not focused on it or planning it and I have to keep myself in check to not make it too frequent.

I've actually had too many indulgences lately (usually too much fruit) and have been struggling since Christmas. I know how to solve the problem and am almost back on track, but struggling with hunger and bingeing just to enjoy certain foods just isn't worth the problems that result. For me. While I am still mostly healthy (some depression has crept back in lately) my weight loss has stalled.

I've noticed that the people who seem successful with "cheat meals" also have rules what kinds of foods they will cheat with. I'm sure that makes a difference as well.

I'm with you on the beans. I remember trying to force myself to eat them for 20 years of my life because they are so healthy. Yet they made me sick, but I persisted because they are healthy. So silly. We must have faith in our own body!

Oh, but the point with the cheat meals is that Chris Kresser did not promote that in his book. lol

I suspect the planning cheat meals thing is because Dr. Oz is pitching it as a weight loss thing, instead of a get healthy thing. You know how "weight loss plans" are -- there's always a "cheat meal" or three in them. I agree, though, it's strange and dilutes the real logic being the 80/20 rule, especially when promoted by one of the big names in Paleo, particularly when you look at it from a health perspective.

That dilution is what bugs me most about seeing Paleo working its way into mainstream. It seems to me like it's the diluted parts that get into the mainstream light, which makes it that much harder when someone finds out that I follow it, because they immediately brush it off as just some other "fad" diet, when it's anything but.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I haven't read Kresser's book. I think after reading Cordain, Sisson, Fragoso, Gaudette, GCBC, Wolf and Neanderthin....I'm not sure I need to read any other paleo books...lol Although, I am thinking of reading The Perferct Health Diet, since i am one of the people that needs starches to keep my thyroid functioning properly.

The topic of this thread is "Chris Kresser". I'm not suggesting you need to read any more books.

Your high starch diet, that works for you, has precedence in the Kitivan society and a few others. But I hope you are eating some organ meat, or whatever substance needed to fully absorb the fat soluble vitamins (the author of Death by Food Pyramid suggests that today's health problems are more about what is NOT being eaten than what is). You likely have the gene that allows for starch to be an ideal food. A high starch diet when done with real food is just as Paleo as any other as long as ideal health is achieved. However, the majority of people eating SAD will resolve metabolic health issues best with a temporary (and sometimes permanent), low carb version of Paleo.