Back to back halfs then 26.2?

Options
2»

Replies

• pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    One thing that has struck me in contemplating running a marathon (I may never do that) is why people still hit the wall when we've had energy gels for almost 40 years. How does that happen when I can ingest enough carbohydrates that I do not deplete my intramuscular glycogen before completing 26.2?

My own experience is that if your glycogen stores aren't high enough before you start the race, you aren't going to be able to make if up with gels. I did two 20 mile training runs before my full marathon. Before the first one, I made sure I carb-loaded properly and I felt great at the end of the run. I got a little too self-sure for the second run and didn't carb load and I hit the wall hard. I believe that the body can only abosorb about 250 calories per hour while you are running which is far less than you are burning, so if you aren't fueled right to begin with you can't catch up. I think the average person has enough glycogen to get about 20 miles (with seasoned marathoners able to store more).

Edited to add: for info about training your body to use fat more efficiently while running look up "fasted training". I've never tried it so I hesitate to elaborate on it here.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the info in this thread everyone. very informative!