SHOUT OUT TO OUR SLEEVE MEMBERS

Options
HI there! I know our group says Gastric By Pass/ Lap Band so I want to thank you for joining us and sharing your journey!

I am also more than likely, going to be having the Sleeve done early summer!

I would like to get kind of a consensus of how many of our beloved members here are Sleeved.

Maybe a quick stat on when you had your Sleeve surgery and how much you have lost (I always LOVE to see those numbers!)
And of course anything else you'd like to share about your choice in WLS and your journey thus far.

Again THANK YOU for being here! The knowledge I gain from all our members Bypass/Lapband/Sleeve is invaluable to me and I know to many of our members. We are all in this together! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Replies

• sue100194
    Options
    sleeved 02/12/14 - so far have lost 6# besides pre-surgery weight loss
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    sleeved 02/12/14 - so far have lost 6# besides pre-surgery weight loss
    Yes I've seen your posts Sue, Congratulations on your new life! :wink:
    How are you doing with your first week out?
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    You know my stats, Jena. Sleeved 5/1/2013 - lost almost 140 lbs at this point (138.9 as of this morning.)

My choice was agreed on by my surgeon and I, and according to him I really had no choice. We move too much in our jobs (my wife was also sleeved at the same time) for us to do Lap Bands -- to difficult to find new doctors with every move, and I was actually too obese for the full Gastric Bypass.

The RNY is still an option for me if after a couple of years on the sleeve I have not lost enough weight. At this point, that doesn't seem likely, but I do still have a long way to go!

Since then, hearing the problems LB people have discussed in support, I'm even more happy with my choice. I know of at least two people in those groups who have had the Band removed and gone with the sleeve. Problems have gone, they have resumed losing and are very happy with their decision.

Each person has their own needs. I'm happy with my choice.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    140! SO AMAZING YOU'RE DOING GREAT!! I see your little star is OVER the halfway mark!:drinker:

I was kind of leaning towards RNY but recently in class they mentioned you have to have 100 pounds to lose which I don't (70-80 lbs to lose at this point) so of course I still need to speak to my surgeaon but either way I know I will be successful! :wink:
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Don't let the little star fool you. That is to get to my Doctors goal for me. My goal is 30 - 50 lbs beyond that. I'll change up as I need to.

Thanks for the toast anyway.:happy:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 10/9/13. I honestly don't know exactly how much weight I have lost because I don't weigh myself unless I go to the doctor, I get too scale obsessed, but I am thinking it's now about 130 all together, and I lost 70 of that on my own prior to surgery. I will see my PCP next week so I will get weighed and update my ticker!
  • jillybean65
    jillybean65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve done December 5th 2012. I have lost 103 lbs. from the beginning of starting it all. I have went 13 lbs below my goal weight and I am in maintenance mode now. Best decision I ever made!!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Me! Sleeved 7/8/13. I'm down exactly 100 lbs from my first pre-op visit on May 20, and a total of 115 from my highest weight. I love my sleeve!
  • Bubirn
    Bubirn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was sleeved 10/30/13 I have lost 44 since surgery, 21 lbs prior to surgery.

I'm never sorry I did it, feel great. Wish the weight was coming off faster but my work schedule limits my exercise and I think that is most of the issue.

You will do fabulous with your sleeve you are already so determined.
    Gerri
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Thank you all for posting! My INS provider no longer does lap band at all, mostly sleeve now and I think that trend will stick because as you all are showing it is an amazing tool!
  • heretowin
    heretowin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Two of my doctors recommended the sleeve over the lap band because of maintenance and long term results. I personally did not want to go under the knife more than once- which with the band you have to get it removed and in case there's oxidation or any other issue that could be a surgery too. Hopefully things go well for me. I'm down 30 since 12/23 and 45 overall.
  • Skykilr1
    Skykilr1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had a sleeve exactly 6 months ago. Aug 21, 2013. -103 lbs so far. Best decision I've ever made. I only wish I would've done this 10-15 yrs ago.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    <
    is getting sleeved! Hopefully this summer as well!

I had my psych eval this past week, and they cleared me. Now just waiting for my dietician to clear me. I see her Mar 27 next.
  • missmom57
    Options
    Hi I have my first appt. with my doc on the 4th, going to have the sleeve done, so looking for it....can't wait to start my journey!!
  • missmom57
    Options
    GREAT, I'm starting soon too!!
  • missmom57
    Options
    Awesome job, looking forward to the journey!
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am on the waiting list for the sleeve (3 years). I'm in Canada and it's free, but you have to wait unless you want to pay out of pocket. Recently I've been considering paying out of pocket and even travelling to the US or Mexico. I'd love some advice on surgeons/locations that people recommend or places to avoid.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sleeved September 26, 2013, closing in on 6 months. A great decision that has helped me jump start a new healthy lifestyle.
  • missmom57
    missmom57 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, I would go to Mexico, they are so much cheaper if you, also here is a Dr. I wish I was going to do mine, but my insurance is paying for most of mine too..

http://surgeon.endobariatric.com/gastric-sleeve-surgery-mexico/?s=goo&kw=gastric+sleeve&gclid=CKOdw5md47wCFS1p7AodkGsAzw
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Sleeved 10-14-13. Great results so far and no complications!