Hot flashes

Options
ejdp254
ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
Anyone experience getting really hot?? Sudden onset and great thirst even when drinking pints of water daily? Could At a push be age related- but i'm hoping maybe a keto side effect... Any ideas?

Replies

• hernamewasdana
    Options
    I have not had this problem. You say pints of water daily... you should be drinking about 3L. Just want to make sure thats not the issue. Excessive thirst can be a warning sign of diabetes, FYI.
  • ejdp254
    Options
    I check my blood sugars regularly as we now have a family history of diabetes, but there fine -well within range thankfully! cant think what else it maybe unless were heading for menopause...... hope not but thanks for your input x it's usually when i'm more active around the house so who knows:smile: !!
  • djgreen1968
    djgreen1968 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have you just started doing keto? I know I had hot flashes in the first couple of weeks of the diet. It went away after that and hasn't done it since. I wonder if it is because my body was transitioning from glucose to ketones? I have read that other people have had the same issue, but it will go away. Stay calm, and Keto on!!!! :)
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the hot flashes, but I do know that many women experience crazy hormone fluctuations for the first couple of weeks. It should normalize soon. If it doesn't, please consult a doctor. Make sure to keep data on what's been happening, when, and how you feel.

As for the thirst, that happens to me. I am not diabetic, nor am I pre-diabetic. When I started this diet, I noticed that I would retain so much less water. Because of this, I was always thirsty. Water in, water out. Regardless, glad you got yourself tested for diabetes. It's always important to know.

How much water are you drinking normally? I like to maintain a 3L minimum per day. Drink up!
  • ejdp254
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I've been doing keto since the beginning of the year although the first few weeks were a bit rubbish as I tried to work out macro levels. I think it must be a side effect but seems to have settled now! If it returns I'll be off to the Drs!!! :)
  • ejdp254
    Options
    Oh and I drink about 80-100 oz of water aday :drinker:
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Are you a woman, over 50? Welcome to my world!
    The good news is that when it is very cold--I am my own personal heater.
    Again, if you are a woman over 50 I suggest these supplements: primrose oil and Phase II.
    If you are a guy or younger woman---get yourself to the doctor and let them figure it out.

Good luck!
  • Ninanator
    Ninanator Posts: 38
    Options
    I have one more suggestion! When was the last time you had your thyroid checked? You said it happens more when you get active around the house. Sure, it could be the beginnings of menopause, but also look into your thyroid. Usually a hypothyroid patient will complain about being cold when everyone else feels comfortable. Also, though, when becoming active, you can finally feel warm, but it is short lived, kinda like a hot flash. Just a thought.
  • djgreen1968
    djgreen1968 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 years old, and my thyroid is working fine. Just had the Doctor do a full panel on it. I know when I had the heat flashes during the first couple of weeks, it freaked me out a bit too. I was like the OP who kind of worked her way up to getting into the keto stage with a few mess ups. lol You should be past the transition now. I'm glad it settled down for you.