DUMPING AFTER ALMOST 2 YRS

Options
Butlavie
Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
The strangest thing is going on,,,I havent dumped for a long time...the last couple of weeks I have been dumping everything no matter how healthy, Im not vomiting but through the whole drama of it all. I will 2 yrs out in May ...anyone else experience this?

Oh so Im almost back to just protein shake stage.

Replies

• Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If this persists, check with doctor. Sometimes big weight loss yields to gallbladder issues....... Gallbladder issues similar to dumping. As shakes have almost no fat, gallbladder symptoms should subside. What you may be thinking is sugar dumping, is really excess fat causing your gall bladder to become irritated, nausea, pain, sweating.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Do you have ALL of the dumping symptoms except the vomiting? Reason I ask, about 5 months out of surgery, I started getting 'dumping' like symptoms after ALL foods, but no vomiting. But I had one symptom that didn't tie in - total lack of appetite. Being that close to the surgery, I called the MD. He ordered an endoscope and it turned out one of my staples caused an ulcer. Now I'm on daily medication, and have no reoccurrence.

If you have any question that perhaps you could have something (else) wrong, call your MD. So much is possible with the aftermath of such a huge surgery - even years out. Personally, I wouldn't speculate, call and tell them what's going on.

Be sure to update us!!! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    if I eat to much or the wrong thing I will get it I am 2.5 yrs out some people will dump for ever on high sugar foods like ice cream I think its a good thing to remind us to pay attention
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    After a couple of years a lot of people start getting reactive hypoglycemia. Do a google search and see if the symptoms match.

Essentially RH happens after eating too many carbs and little or no protein. Your blood sugar rises really fast, and then crashes. Unless you are eating lots of sugar, what you have isn't dumping. If you are eating a lot of sugar, . . . then stop it.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am totally intrigued with the Reactive Hypoglycaemicia condition post WLS. I have never heard of this and my MD/surgeon/nurse/support groups have never discussed it (pre/post surgery). I have had periodic shaking, rapid heart beat and dizzy spells once or twice a month. My PCP has run an EKG, blood tests (no sugar test) and urine tests - and he can't find a thing wrong.

I do not carb load and rarely eat much sugar at all. My meals are less than 8g of sugar and protein loaded. I'm wondering if this condition - which appears to be (very) 'low blood sugar' is what is causing my symptoms.

I found this on google: http://www.weightlosssurgery.ca/before-after-surgery/reactive-hypoglycaemia-post-gastric-bypass/

Thank you grim_travelle for bringing this up to the group. I think for those of us who are post WLS and have some similar symptoms, a chat with the PCP or surgeon is in order

I know I will be calling him/them.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    The best way to check is to have access to a glucose monitor and test strips. You need to check while you aee feeling the effects. A1C tests won't help, since they are an average of your blood glucose over about 90 days. Your average can be great. It's the short spikes of really high then really low blood sugars that cause the problems, and you have to test before they change back.

There is a test called a glucose tolerance test, but it calls for consuming a lot of straight sugar. Not a good idea for us, especially if you might dump.

RH is easy to avoid with proper nutrition. Always eat protein first, and limit carbs, especially white and refined carbs, or some fruits, that have high insulin response numbers.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this info -- I am going to look into this for my husband who sometimes feels like he is "dumping" but he has had the sleeve and I don't see it being the same as when I have experienced dumping after RNY. Great info!
  • Butlavie
    Options
    TY I RECENTLY STARTED CHECKING MY GLUCOSE LEVELS AGAIN, AND THEY WERE HIGHER. SO IM WATCHING MORE OF WHAT I EAT..THANKS
  • Butlavie
    Options
    Thanks I have been watching more of what I eat and it has stopped. I think I got to relaxed with my diet.