Percent fat vs protein?

Options
I've really tried to find the answer online, but was overwhelmed by sites, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.... What is the correct ratio of carbs to fat to protein for weight loss? I've heard that if you eat too much protein, your body changes the protein into glucose and you slow your weight loss down. Can anyone help please? Thanks!

Replies

• karryann2008
    Options
    I've been researching the same. I'll be interested on the replies.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    From what i've seen it varies from person to person. However the most common ratio seems to be:

5/75/15 or 5/70/20 that's Carbs/Fat/Protein . -These are quite strict ratio's and only trying for yourself will see what works.

Most will say to keep your Carbs below 20g a day which is around 5% then you need your fats to be higher than your protein.

Hope this helps.
  • karryann2008
    Options
    Thank you, at the moment I have it set at 10%c/ 55%f/35%p, although my carbs are usually around 7%(30g) and fats make up the difference.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    seems good , i'd suggest try that for a couple of weeks and see how you feel, and then adjust if you need to as it's different for everyone.:smile:
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jenb1830
    jenb1830 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've really tried to find the answer online, but was overwhelmed by sites, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.... What is the correct ratio of carbs to fat to protein for weight loss? I've heard that if you eat too much protein, your body changes the protein into glucose and you slow your weight loss down. Can anyone help please? Thanks!

Here's a link to a really helpful tool that is really useful to plug in your own numbers to come up with your personal formula for weight loss. There's a really cool forecast graph also towards the end that is so fun!
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
  • Paleohawk
    Paleohawk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually ignored the amount of fat I am taking. But I have to say my percentage of my diet, 40% Carb, 30% Protein and 30% fat. I am kind of tired of worrying about how much fat I am eating. Learned from reading some good Paleo diet books, I read their arguments about how much is fat intake we should eat, how much cholesterol we are taking and how much protein we can eat.. I love bacon fat and real butter instead of canola oil and famous fake butter (margarine).
  • lfreeman910
    lfreeman910 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Up until 3 months ago i was 5/20/75.... my hair was thinning, nails brittle and skin was bad.... I found online (don't remember where) that should have .8-1 gram per lb LEAN body mass... i'm 5'6'' and do 90-130 grams a day, now 5/30/65. since then my hair, nails and skin have improved! I also feel better physically when i work out! If something isn't working out you can always try something different or new. Every BODY is different!
  • edouardpal
    edouardpal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey !
    I aim for 15% carb or less
    protein aound 35%
    and the rest in fat (50% and more if on very low carb)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 10c/30p/60f and i am often over my fat and carbs will be around 7 or so. I had been losing steadily since march 1st when i started but have been stalled for the last week or so. How do I know what I should adjust my numbers too? should I eat more protein or carbs? less fat or more? any ideas?
  • edouardpal
    Options
    Hey cristafb!

for the carb I d say that s fine if you eat the right kind of carb, maybe increase slighlty proteins if you fell hungry, and if you feel that you need energy increase fat :)
    All of that of course assuming that you eat the right food should be pretty effortless.
    (I wouldn t restrict on calories, more for the fact that it is not very sustainable on the long term- which is what makes the difference).

If anyone is doing a lot of weight lifting could they share their thoughts on their ratios?
    I am doing great to stay lean on lowcarb high prot and fat but I was wondering if other people had other thoughts?
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Following! Im at 15c/20p/65f but am stalled. A little confused about how to do the ratios correctly myself.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I found a fantastic website which really explains things well. It's ketotic.org. Based on that site and Peter Attia's site, I've been restricting my carbs to 20 per day with 130 grams of protein as goal. The remainder fat. It's lower carbs than you're doing, shutterbabe, but I am not telling you you're doing something wrong. You've been doing this longer than me, but thought I'd give you a different perspective. GL!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    edouardpal, thank you for the response. that makes sense :)

I have a bit of a stupid question - do people go by percentage or grams? I have my set as 5c/30p/65f so my carbs in grams is around 17g/d. is that too high? or low?

I had it at 10/30/60 but changed it today to see if perhaps it would help me get out of a stall. 10 percent had me eating 34 g/d & I keep reading that most people stay under 20 & I was thinking they meant percentage but now I'm thinking grams.

Does that make sense? sorry I'm a bit of a rambler. :flowerforyou:
  • edouardpal
    Options
    Hey!
    yes it makes perfect sense,

But doing a LOT of weightlifting, I chose not to be on full keto diet, but rather just low carb and Intermittent fasting (evening through next lunch) :)

However if I come to reduce the amount of sport I do I will probably go for keto =)
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 10c/30p/60f and i am often over my fat and carbs will be around 7 or so. I had been losing steadily since march 1st when i started but have been stalled for the last week or so. How do I know what I should adjust my numbers too? should I eat more protein or carbs? less fat or more? any ideas?

Hi Kris...this from a site that helped me a lot..and it could have already been shared:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_why_we_plateau_and_what_to_do_about_it

What to do about plateaus?
    Before you take action to fight your plateau, make sure you are actually stuck. Don't rely on your scale alone; use body tape, calipers, a tight pair of pants, number of belt loops, or whatever tools you might have where you can verify that nothing is changing. There are times on keto where you may drop a size without losing weight. Now that we have that out of the way,...When you undertake any action, test it for a fixed period (2-4 weeks) to see if it is effectual, and if not, you needn't bother yourself with integrating it into your lifestyle.

I am not in a hurry to lose because I know this is a Lifestyle now...and since I "don't" have that much to lose to maintenance...I am interested in losing bodyfat...and I am getting nice NSV's along the way (big smile)...

Keep on keepin' on :):drinker: :drinker:
    Deb :flowerforyou:
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    True LCHF WOE is fairly straightforward to come up with your macros (ratios).

1. Decide how many net carbs you're going to eat (or can handle)
    2. Calculate how much protein you need each day to maintain your LBM (1g/kg of LBM, 1.5g if you're highly active)
    3. Make up any remaining caloric difference from healthy fats

Most would agree that anything above 5% for carbs isn't really LC any longer (at least not how most people practice LC dieting). If you're protein is much above 20% then something went wrong with your calculation. Fat is going to come in somewhere around 75% or higher (although the "published" cut-off point for a keto diet is 65% or higher).