Paleo Coffee Creamer

Options
AbbeyDove
AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
I've been pondering doing a dairy free trial, but the main impediment has been that I need cream in my coffee. That is, I seriously NEED the coffee. And as a result I NEED the cream. All attempts at using substitutes have failed for me, on the grounds of being too processed/replete with unpronounceable ingredients, too thin, to weird tasting, etc. But I came across this recipe this week, and I thought I'd try it. I'd be SO happy if it works! I thought I'd share it with you guys!

http://followingmynose.com/2010/10/a-primal-non-dairy-coffee-creamer/

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Have you tried this yet? Please let us know, I am looking at doing the Whole30 in a few months and would love to have a creamer of sorts available
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My wife simply switched to coconut milk (the canned one - not the one in the carton). It adds plenty of creamy mouthfeel and a slight coconuttiness. She then dusts it with some cinnamon.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Agree!!! Canned coconut milk does it for me. If I'm really missing my old flavored creamers I'll add a little vanilla extract and maple syrup and maybe some cinnamon sprinkled on top. Yum!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I was never a cream in the coffee kind of person,love espresso.
    It would seem that black coffee really increases my hunger,I have since been adding in a tbsp (or less)of a really good coconut oil and I found this has improved my coffee experience and keeps me full for a really long time.
    I use a great brand of coconut oil by Ziggy Marley..lemon and ginger or almond and orange.Amazingly good!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I used to love cream in my coffee. But you do have a choice. No one can make you. By saying you "need" things that in reality are not needed (like air, water, sunlight) isn't very conducive to commitment.

Right now I put ghee (or unsalted butter-still dairy but I tolerate it) and coconut oil in my coffee and whisk it up with a hand blender. I would have no problem with just coconut oil or coconut milk too, but I don't like it as much. I tried an egg yolk too and though the froth is amazing after half the cup I didn't like the flavour- even though I love egg yolks. LOL

I love coffee. I used to quit it from time to time but where I live right now I've been very resistant to the idea as there are very few enjoyments in my life. I am thinking of quitting just to save money and pay off debt faster but i haven't committed yet. When I do, I will quit; no excuses. Do or do not do.

That recipe looks great; did you try it?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    My wife simply switched to coconut milk (the canned one - not the one in the carton). It adds plenty of creamy mouthfeel and a slight coconuttiness.
    Same here.
  • cuyunamike
    cuyunamike Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use regular old half and half which has only 1 carb for 2 TBSP. Hasn't effected my weight loss negatively.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I use regular old half and half which has only 1 carb for 2 TBSP. Hasn't effected my weight loss negatively.

Not everyone who's considering dropping dairy does it for carb or weight loss reasons, FYI. Unfortunately, for some people, even the small amount of lactose and/or casein in cream (and yes, half and half) triggers an intolerance. The only way to fix that is to cut it out entirely.

And yes, butter/clarified butter/ghee is still dairy. The difference between them is that clarified butter and ghee have had the remaining lactose and casein removed from them, as even (regular) butter still has some in it.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Not to split hairs but its my understanding that ghee yes is lactose free but for people sensitive to dairy it does have casein. My kids can tolerate lactose free goat dairy and lactose free A2 cows dairy and no other dairy products.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Not to split hairs but its my understanding that ghee yes is lactose free but for people sensitive to dairy it does have casein. My kids can tolerate lactose free goat dairy and lactose free A2 cows dairy and no other dairy products.

Only trace amounts in the most pure stuff. The process of clarifying the butter (part of the process of making ghee) separates the lactose and milk solids from the fat (when you clarify butter, it separates into three layers - the milk solids on the bottom, which includes the casein, the butter oil in the middle, and the lactose on the top).

It is possible that some who are very sensitive to casein (such as those with severe Celiac such that even minor cross contamination is an issue) will react to it, but most people who can't tolerate other dairy can tolerate ghee.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I really like my cream. I've had a hard time giving it up though I've tried numerous times.

I find plain coconut milk doesn't give as much of a creamy feel.
    I've tried drinking it black and often do, but it's not the same.

Bulletproof coffee (coffee and coconut oil blended together) is surprisingly good and creamy and was my go-to until we ran out (just got some more this weekend though so I'm starting back up).

I am going to try this recipe though (just made a batch). I wonder if the egg will help with the creaminess aspect of it. I have a feeling it won't be much different than just plain coconut cream though.
  • veronicaadavis7
    Options
    I use the cream part of the canned coconut milk (the asian versions seem to be thicker, don't shake it up, the cream will be on top, very thick and creamy). I use the liquid part in green smoothies.
  • tomebug
    Options
    Trying the coconut milk in my coffee this morning for the first time, and holy yum why haven't I tried this before?! I've been using almond milk occasionally, but this is way better and much creamier. Thanks!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've tried the recipe above and it's pretty good. Slightly better/creamier than just canned coconut milk. I wonder how it would hold up with two eggs rather than one. I think the blended egg helps with the creaminess.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I've tried the recipe above and it's pretty good. Slightly better/creamier than just canned coconut milk. I wonder how it would hold up with two eggs rather than one. I think the blended egg helps with the creaminess.

I use three whole eggs and 2-3tbsp of butter in mine when I do it. It makes for a nice, creamy, almost custardy texture. You can drop it down to two eggs if you don't want it that creamy.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yes i know the process of making ghee. Ive made it many times from our A2 jersey milk cow. And i would love to be able to buy the high quality stuff from the store. I totally get that its low in casein but ghee is not casein free; I've got some super sensitive tummies in my tribe and its just incorrect to say ghee doesn't have casein.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Yes i know the process of making ghee. Ive made it many times from our A2 jersey milk cow. And i would love to be able to buy the high quality stuff from the store. I totally get that its low in casein but ghee is not casein free; I've got some super sensitive tummies in my tribe and its just incorrect to say ghee doesn't have casein.

It's also disingenuous to say that it does have casein without qualifying that "does have casein" means "may contain trace amounts that very, very sensitive people may still react to." There's a vast difference between the amount of casein in ghee and the amount even in butter, and moreso in regular milk, and I was attempting to clarify.

Also, judging from your comments, it's not casein, itself, that your family is sensitive to, but rather the A1 strain, specifically. All mammal milk has casein, so if your family can tolerate goat milk and your A2 cow's milk, then the culprit is pretty clearly A1 casein, not casein in general. In which case, whether a person can tolerate a particular butter or ghee will depend more on the source of the cream than of the amount of casein left in a given product. You probably already know that, but a lot of people aren't familiar with the A1 vs A2 thing, and I think the differences are worth noting. For what it's worth, though, the ghee you get from your cow is probably superior to most ghee or butter you can get in a store, so you're probably not missing out on much (seriously - fresh, raw milk from a cow that you know is happy and pastured beats even the best store-bought, which is at the very least, a couple of days old by the time you even get it, if you're lucky enough to have access to raw milk in the store). :flowerforyou:

That said, there's no need to get defensive. The explanation of making ghee wasn't just for you, but for anyone else that reads this. Not everyone knows how to make ghee, or even butter (I didn't even know what ghee was until about 6 months ago).
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    I buy thick coconut cream in a can and add a TBSP to my cup ... my brother who is a firefighter and always trying to keep some bulk on his paleo body uses eggs and pasture butter ... its all a matter of taste I guess :)
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I thought I'd update you--this is a good recipe, particularly if you make it with coconut milk that has a little guar gum in it (I know, I know, not very paleo, right?). Anyway, that's how I've had the best results with this. The Native Forest (BPA free cans, for what it's worth!) brand is the one I've used, and it's very good. It's reasonably close to cream, thicker than straight coconut milk, and makes me happy when I use it.

And thank you Akimajuktuq for the needs/wants reminder. I was being dramatic. Do I need cream in my coffee? Oh, no. But I do really, really, really like it! :flowerforyou:
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Ghee, when made right, is pure fat. Heavy cream is also pure fat. I am still using Half & Half, but I'll probably switch to heavy cream. No, the dairy is not strictly paleo but I guess to each their own. Coconut cream is even thicker than coconut milk, and the carb amount is very low.