Week 8 - Can you believe it?!

I’ve noticed in the last couple of weeks a decline in tracking on myfitnesspal from what I had been seeing and I wanted to talk a little about that in this week’s post. First, let me say that I know tracking workouts and/or diets on a daily basis can seem a very cumbersome thing to do that does not appear to offer much in the way of helping meet your goal. It takes time, you have to remember what you did or what you ate. You of course want to be as accurate as possible, so if you don’t get to it right away and then find you can’t remember exactly when you finally do get to it, you may think to yourself – well, what’s the point now? The important thing is that I did the workout or I did eat my meal, right? True, that is important. I really believe though that you are helping yourself in a huge way meet whatever your goal is by tracking your progress – in this case logging your exercise and your food.

If you are currently tracking your activities somewhere, good for you! There are certainly many, many avenues available to track your fitness besides myfitnesspal. There are online options, there are apps for your smart phone, and there are old-fashioned notebooks and diaries. Any will work (the vast number of choices can even be a deterrent to tracking. Which to choose? Which will work best for me? My recommendation? Pick one and try!) What I personally find to be the biggest benefit from tracking is that I can look back over what I’ve done, see the progress I’ve made within a particular time frame and then feel better able to decide if I’m on track with achieving my goal in the time I want, or if I need to make some adjustments. I can see if I’m honestly following the plan that I had set for myself. If not, I can adjust. If I am, I feel good about sticking to my game plan.

One other thing about tracking your exercise and diet on myfitnesspal. It is as private or as open as you want it to be. You have control over what gets seen and what doesn’t. Even if you are a part of our groups, your daily logging data remains private unless you want to share it. The groups are just a great place to look to for support and to offer your support back in return.

I’ve heard some great things going on in our Biggest Loser Challenge! Weight loss, increased physical activity, increased commitment to healthy habits in our daily lives. Way to go everyone! Don’t forget to weigh in on occasion and keep up the fantastic work! Go Team Springs!