In need of a little support/advice

Options
jenb1830
jenb1830 Posts: 19 Member
Hi all,

So I just got back from my bachelorette weekend in NOLA and those familiar feelings of being on a slippery slope have surfaced while trying to get back into the swing of my natural routine of LCHF/Keto living. I usually do not drink much alcohol, and on average, I have maybe one drink per month. While I was in New Orleans, I delighted in having some delicious seafood and it was easy to adhere to my lifestyle choice of abstaining from grains, sugars, or starches. I had no problems to pass on the breads, sweets, and rice whenever it was offered. While I am happy about preserving these lifestyle choices while I was on holiday, I did however, drink alcohol, and lots of it. I did not have any of the sugary drinks like hurricanes or daiquiris, but I did drink nonetheless. The first night in NOLA, I had five drinks total including a campari soda (8 carbs), 3 shots of tequila (o carbs), and beefeater gin with soda (0 carbs). Sheesh. The next day I had 2 drinks total including some brut champagne (1.5 carbs) and then sipped on a light margarita cocktail (3 carbs) for remainder of the afternoon. I did not drink anymore over the course of the weekend, but 7 drinks in the course of less than 24 hours time has been enough for me to feel a little down on myself. I know it was a party but still… I kind of wish that I didn't do that to myself or feel pressure to "hang"… I feel a little defeated, like I overdid it...
My issue now though, is that now that I am back at home, I feel ravenous! I feel like I just want to binge and I hate this feeling. If any of you have any advice, words of encouragement, or support, any or all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• 195to135
    195to135 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Is it your first time doing a cheat since going low carb?
    The first few times are the hardest to get back into the swing of it so don't be hard on yourself, From the sounds of it you actually didn't do too bad with drinks much better than me this weekend just drink as much water as you can and snack on higher fat snacks in a couple of days the urge to binge will fade and you'll be fine, But don't feel bad if it takes you a couple days to get back into low-carbing just keep trying you'll get there.
    I started Keto in March 2013 and my first couple of cheat days ended up lasting about a week before I got back on track, I just did a 3 day cheat with Sat night being filled with beer, shots and chips so today I'm back to Keto's and would kill for some nachos lol.
    I tend to bounce back into Keto's fairly quick now that my body has gotten used to my carbing up days so it will get easier just remember with Keto or any lifestyle change you have to make sure its something you can keep up with and not feel bad when life gets in the way and you let yourself have some fun :)
  • jenb1830
    Options
    Is it your first time doing a cheat since going low carb?
    The first few times are the hardest to get back into the swing of it so don't be hard on yourself, From the sounds of it you actually didn't do too bad with drinks much better than me this weekend just drink as much water as you can and snack on higher fat snacks in a couple of days the urge to binge will fade and you'll be fine, But don't feel bad if it takes you a couple days to get back into low-carbing just keep trying you'll get there.
    I started Keto in March 2013 and my first couple of cheat days ended up lasting about a week before I got back on track, I just did a 3 day cheat with Sat night being filled with beer, shots and chips so today I'm back to Keto's and would kill for some nachos lol.
    I tend to bounce back into Keto's fairly quick now that my body has gotten used to my carbing up days so it will get easier just remember with Keto or any lifestyle change you have to make sure its something you can keep up with and not feel bad when life gets in the way and you let yourself have some fun :)

I "technically" didn't cheat--just drank more than what I wanted to. I even checked for ketones when I got back into town last night and I was still in ketosis according to my ketostix, however my hunger is not as subdued as it usually is, which is from all the alcohol I am assuming.
    Any tricks to help get over the mind part of it?
  • 195to135
    195to135 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy is pretty much the only thing that will help fight the urge to eat, Try and get in more water than you normally do too which will make you feel full and flush out any booze still lingering on, maybe take up playing Candy Crush or HayDay both are addictive games that make people forget about food lol
    Or you could have a nap! Sleeping is the best way to avoid eating :wink:
  • jenb1830
    Options
    Keeping busy is pretty much the only thing that will help fight the urge to eat, Try and get in more water than you normally do too which will make you feel full and flush out any booze still lingering on, maybe take up playing Candy Crush or HayDay both are addictive games that make people forget about food lol
    Or you could have a nap! Sleeping is the best way to avoid eating :wink:

Perfect advice. Thanks. I have been guzzling the water all day today and I LOVE sleeping! :)