Is there an alternative to Prone Jackknife - Stage 1

Options
mbarrett1
mbarrett1 Posts: 39 Member
So I've started this programme and was really looking forward to it this morning, however I didn't quite go to plan as I didn't have the strength in my legs to do the step ups onto the bench I have, so I'm going to need something lower for the time being.

Also I cannot do the prone jacknife. I can't even get onto the ball! I have no balance in anyway shape or form. I did manage to get onto the ball for about 10 seconds tried to get into position and fell off!!

I know the idea of the exercise is to build your core muscles but I can't even get onto the ball to be able to build!!

Any alternatives?! Please bare in mind that 1)I'm a larger lady 2)I work out from home and not a gym and I have no upper body strength at all at the moment. I'm doing push ups off a wall as I can't do them from any lower!!

Replies

• glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would keep trying the prone jackknife. It is awkward as heck at first but you will get better at it:) Even if you keep trying to get into the starting position and not necessarily pulling your knees to your chest, you will still get some effects of the exercise. Keep at it:)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep trying. We get stronger from the trying. When I first started, I kept falling off the ball, too. Try to keep in mind that this is a progressive program, so you are meant to make progress over time, not be perfect right out of the gate.:flowerforyou:
  • mbarrett1
    Options
    I can't even get on it. It keeps moving!! Is there a knack to it??!!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Try getting a ball at home and practicing?

I faceplant the floor halfway through, as knew I would from the start.

I know it's not keeping with the order, but I won't do it in the gym. I do 60 degree pushups in public but the jacknife is too far for me. I had hard enough time getting on the damn thing the first few times.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that your ball is over inflated? Also, I do mine next to furniture so that the ball can't get too far away from me.
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started at over 200lbs and had the same problem, don't stop trying, you have to start somewhere, and you will see improvement quickly, I still wobble from side to side a bit, I started by putting the ball against the wall, and just did what I could, mostly laughed at myself, and asking what the heck! you'll get it, and build more time on the ball, and less time on the floor, I promise!
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    Hey! As others have mentioned, keep trying the prone jackknife as it's a great exercise. But in the meantime until you build up some core strength and balance, you could try just regular planks (holding for 45 to 60 seconds). Good luck!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hey! As others have mentioned, keep trying the prone jackknife as it's a great exercise. But in the meantime until you build up some core strength and balance, you could try just regular planks (holding for 45 to 60 seconds). Good luck!

I was going to suggest this. Just plank on the ball for as long as you can, you'll work out the muscles that you use to balance on it. Do that for two workouts and then try the jackknife again.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Try wedging your ball into a corner so that it doesn't roll on you. Then once you are on it,work on starting with very small movements.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    How do you try and get on it? For prone jack knife I make sure I have plenty of room, then I roll over the top of the ball until it is in the right spot. So, my chest rolls over, my hands make contact with the floor and from that point I can walk it out on my hands until the ball is at my feet.

But yes, keep trying, it is an awesome exercise
  • mbarrett1
    Options
    How do you try and get on it? For prone jack knife I make sure I have plenty of room, then I roll over the top of the ball until it is in the right spot. So, my chest rolls over, my hands make contact with the floor and from that point I can walk it out on my hands until the ball is at my feet.

But yes, keep trying, it is an awesome exercise

Now that's a good idea actually. I'll try that thanks. And I will persevere thanks guys.

Just got soooo frustrated with myself I was nearly in tears. Luckily I work out from home so no one saw me!! lol
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....keep trying, but I doubt that you're going to do it correctly if you can't stay on the ball (and you risk injuring yourself). I would substitute mountain climbers until you can do at least a few proper jackknifes. They are the same type of exercise. Do them slowly and controlled- keep your back neutral. The authors included them NROL Supercharged.
    The goal is not to just do the exercises, it's to do them with proper form so that you're working the correct muscles and you're not injuring yourself. Good luck!
  • mbarrett1
    Options
    Well I managed a couple today by rolling onto the ball rather than trying to get my legs onto them.

However I have done myself an injury and hurt my lower back. :-( Not sure if it was that exercise or just a very bad co-incidence.

I've had a heat patch on my back all afternoon. Bugger.

Fingers crossed it will get better tomorrow.
  • jackaroo1223
    Options
    I would try building your core strength with some planks. do them a few times a day, start maybe 10-15 seconds at a time, each time, and then add 5-10 seconds each day.... it will help strengthen your core and give you bonus core workouts! Don't give up on the prone jacknife. I hated them and could hardly do ONE! when i started. but i am on workout 5 of stage 1 and i can do them all now, i feel like that is my greatest accomplishment so far! we all have to start somewhere
  • mbarrett1
    Options
    Tried them again this morning since I did my injury last week (which is much better now). Trouble is I simply couldn't do them without hurting myself. I do not have the upper body strength to hold myself up which is putting strain on my back.

I'm going to try alternatives until I've built my upper body strength up a bit. Will try every now and then and see how I get on!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan. I'm really surprised he doesn't list an alternative in the book. It's a great exercise, but somewhat advanced if you're new to lifting. I know it took me a long time to do them properly.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan. I'm really surprised he doesn't list an alternative in the book. It's a great exercise, but somewhat advanced if you're new to lifting. I know it took me a long time to do them properly.

A very good point. I am stronger than many would be when starting out and I still find it a challenge. They are back in my workout now for that reason.