new to group, need some vegan advice please!!!

Options
ok, so I have been vegetarian for 12 years... 3 weeks vegan.
started when I found freelee the banana girl... was trying to follow her life style... needless to say im totally lost. have questions I cant get answered.
few things... I am underweight, so I don't do cardio crazy like her and a lot of ppl iv noticed that do the high fruit diet..
I do weight train though. all at home because a gym does not fit the budget right now. so iv been kind of shying away from her but still kind of on the 80/10/10 guidelines, except I eat cooked foods at night ( tofu, steam veg, etc)
I guess what im asking for here is good healthy ways to gain weight(muscle) yet still follow close to this... I don't eat pastas, breads, etc... all whole foods...except the tofu of course...
I know of a vegan protein powder I could add if that's a good idea? honestly I just really need some support and advice for all these things I don't understand!!! please help :(
you can friend request/msg me/respond here... anything... just feel like im walking around in the dark and I just don't want to give up on this just because I couldn't figure it out
thank you guys in advance!!!!!! <3

Replies

• MemphisHellFire
    MemphisHellFire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hey, iv been on weight gaining diets before and healthy food i found useful were, dried fruits, nuts, oats, nut milks, seeds, sweet potatoes and nut butters these are all quite high calorie foods which make good snacks or can be added into meals to boost calories and are full of goodness. make sure your getting a high amount of carbs before and after your workout and a good dose of protein after.
    i use reflex vegan protein powder as its made from pea protein and it is the best tasting one iv tried. hope thats some sort of help! x
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    thanks! yea I eat most of that stuff... where do you get your protein powder from?
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Check out Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman, they say added protein isn't necessary but there is something out there called RawFusion has pea and rice protein and has the amino acids. Added protein could be harmful to the kidneys. Please educate before adding extra protein to your body.

Vegetables that contain protein:
    One cup of cooked spinach 5.4 grams for only 42 calories
    One cup of frozen broccoli 5.8 per 52 calories
    One cup of tofu 18.0 for only 165 calories
    One cup of lentils (cooked) 16 grams of protein for only 175 calories.

Also beans and legumes remove cholesterol from your body and makes you feel full due to the high fiber content. It is considered a carbohydrate but passes through the body unlike grains. Also Quinoa has lots of protein.

For B12 you can take supplements. I personally take 1,000 mcg Daily and let it dissolve under the tongue. You can also take a larger dose once a week. There no such thing as getting too much B12. I don't care for tofu. I do like Nutritional Yeast (Red Star). It has a cheesy flavor and can sprinkle on popcorn or in soups and salads. B12 is important to prevent arterial disease.

See: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/daily-source-of-vitamin-b12/ and http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vitamin-b12-necessary-for-arterial-health/ - I love nutritionfacts.org by Dr. Greger.

How much Protein do we need? See: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/changing-protein-recommendations/

Also Dr. Fuhrman's eat to leave page 143 States RDA is 0.8 mg/kg body weight or about 44 grams for a 120 pound woman and 55 grams for a 150 pound man. This is the recommended amount.On page 144 Dr. Fuhrman in the 1970s was a US Figure Skater and worked out with weights and he feels he obtained what he needed through calories, when you exercise your caloric needs go up and you get the protein you need automatically when you meet your calories. American's take in too much protein to an unhealthy level. (paraphrased).
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Check out Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman, they say added protein isn't necessary but there is something out there called RawFusion has pea and rice protein and has the amino acids. Added protein could be harmful to the kidneys. Please educate before adding extra protein to your body.

Vegetables that contain protein:
    One cup of cooked spinach 5.4 grams for only 42 calories
    One cup of frozen broccoli 5.8 per 52 calories
    One cup of tofu 18.0 for only 165 calories
    One cup of lentils (cooked) 16 grams of protein for only 175 calories.

Also beans and legumes remove cholesterol from your body and makes you feel full due to the high fiber content. It is considered a carbohydrate but passes through the body unlike grains. Also Quinoa has lots of protein.

For B12 you can take supplements. I personally take 1,000 mcg Daily and let it dissolve under the tongue. You can also take a larger dose once a week. There no such thing as getting too much B12. I don't care for tofu. I do like Nutritional Yeast (Red Star). It has a cheesy flavor and can sprinkle on popcorn or in soups and salads. B12 is important to prevent arterial disease.

See: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/daily-source-of-vitamin-b12/ and http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vitamin-b12-necessary-for-arterial-health/ - I love nutritionfacts.org by Dr. Greger.

How much Protein do we need? See: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/changing-protein-recommendations/

Also Dr. Fuhrman's eat to leave page 143 States RDA is 0.8 mg/kg body weight or about 44 grams for a 120 pound woman and 55 grams for a 150 pound man. This is the recommended amount.On page 144 Dr. Fuhrman in the 1970s was a US Figure Skater and worked out with weights and he feels he obtained what he needed through calories, when you exercise your caloric needs go up and you get the protein you need automatically when you meet your calories. American's take in too much protein to an unhealthy level. (paraphrased).

thanks for that! I was worried I wouldnt get in the protein because im not a huge fan of dark leafy greens... I will eat them, but I know not often enough to reap the benefits of their protein...