Calorie levels?

Options
Should I be eating at maintenance? That's what I'm doing now. I'm in stage 1 and eating at around maintenance, getting my protein between .8g and 1g per pound of body weight. I'm happy with my weight, but I do want to burn fat and build muscle.

Are you guys eating at a deficit or a surplus or maintenance, and why?

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am eating at maintainance . I set my cals at 1400, but I don't log olive oil and so I probably eat 1500-1600. I am wondering about bulking because when I eat extra I lift more-- I had food poisoning and lifted very little for about a week. So eating is important-- but I am afraid to bulk because I might not be able to lose it.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I believe the recommendation for fat loss is maintenance minus 300 calories. I also log my strength training on workout days and I do eat those calories back.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    1400 doesn't sound like maintenance. That's very little, isn't it?
    I set mine to 1700 (and aim for 1600), and on workout days I allow myself 1800-2000.

I used the formula in the book and these numbers reflect a deficit of appx 200 calories from what he suggested.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I found myself famished at 1600 calories so yesterday I upped them to 1800. So far, I seem to be doing better.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of losing weight, and I am training for a HM so I run 5 days a week on top of 2 days a week NROL4W. I am eating 1800 calories a day and losing 1 lb steadily. I actually upped my calories, going -15% from TDEE not long ago.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry. I didn't give a complete answer. I had been maintaining at about 1600 calories. After about 4 weeks of this program, I found myself waking up in the middle of the night feeling starved. So I have upped my calories by two hundred hoping that helps. I am in between Stage 1 and 2, so I will take a 10 day break. During that time I will drop my calories again. When I restart, I will go back up to 1800 and see if it's enough to fuel Stage 2.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Noaeker 1400 is a little bit of a trick. I know I eat more calories than 1400 but I am not weighing my food and not logging olive oil or other condiments, so I am probably logging 1400 and eating 1600-1700. I am fairly short and my weight is stable ( it changes about3 lbs heavier in winter than in summer) so I am "at maintainance"
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm currently maintaining at 1700-1800