injured after the transition

Options
ROBJ3411
ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
This is the 2nd time this has happened to me in the last 6 months. I have had problems twice with my soleus muscle.

The first time was this summer on a sprint Tri. Right after I got off the bike to run it went up hill and *BAM* felt the strain, walked alittle bit and then gutted out the 5k.

rehabbed, raced, ran and road a bunch since then and no issue...

Fast forward to Saturday, it was a 10k run (hilly terrain), then a 22 mi bike(seperate event, an hour+ in between finish and start of the bike) I got 3 miles into the bike and just had my calf seize up (not a pull) well i stopped for 5 minutes or so and then very cautiously finished the ride. had it cramp and seize on me one more time. it's the same muscle, the PT has had the dry needles and E-stim on it the last two days

Now I'm trying to figure out if this has to do with the transition or what. It's only ever bothered me these two times.

Anyone else had something similar from tranisition?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Have you practiced going from bike to run? Biking is one thing, running is another... but going from one to the other can be hard on the legs if they aren't trained for it.

Are you doing any brick workouts?

My calves often cramp up going from bike to run early in the season when I'm less trained for it.

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If your answer is no to Jackson's questions I'd suggest a few options.

1. On long ride days run 25-35 minutes off the bike. Ideally this is to learn to get your HR under control, but it can double as neuro-muscular practice at transitions.

2. On long run day start with a low intensity spin on the trainer and then transition to running.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    To answer both of you I did do bricks for the race in the summer. I didn't do that this weekend, because it was a run followed after an hour by the bike....
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this would be related to your issue but sometimes cramps can be caused by dehydration. I know you only got a cramp in one leg but worth looking to see if this is part of the issue and evaluating that you are staying well hydrated.