Protein question.

Options
Serah87
Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
My LBM is 89.80 ( 44 yrs old, 121 pounds, 5'2), so should I be doing 90 grams or should I be doing way more than that? I do weight lifting, right now I can't as I just recently had hand surgery, but will be back at it in mid March. I average between 90 and 110 grams of protein. Thanks in advanced.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Are you making progress with your weight-oriented goals and are you relatively satisfied with your current diet as far as macronutrient breakdown goes?

If the answer is yes, then keep doing what you are doing.

That's not my attempt at a lazy answer -- the issue is that LBM is not the only variable in determining protein intake as you also have to consider how many total calories, your dietary preferences, gym performance/etc.

Strictly in terms of "is your protein intake adequate for LBM retention" I would answer yes, it most likely is provided that you are not exceptionally lean and/or eating in an excessive deficit.
  • Serah87
    Options
    Are you making progress with your weight-oriented goals and are you relatively satisfied with your current diet as far as macronutrient breakdown goes?

If the answer is yes, then keep doing what you are doing.

That's not my attempt at a lazy answer -- the issue is that LBM is not the only variable in determining protein intake as you also have to consider how many total calories, your dietary preferences, gym performance/etc.

Strictly in terms of "is your protein intake adequate for LBM retention" I would answer yes, it most likely is provided that you are not exceptionally lean and/or eating in an excessive deficit.

Yes, for the most part, waiting for the ok from doctor and will probably have to start back at little bit lower on weights once I start back up, lower (Legs) body I can still do and even went up on the weights today.

A friend has been questioning my in take of protein, that's the reason for this question, thank you for your help. :flowerforyou:
  • Serah87
    Options
    I would answer yes, it most likely is provided that you are not exceptionally lean and/or eating in an excessive deficit.

I believe my Body fat is around 21% to 22% and I usually have around 250-500 deficit, is that alright?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would answer yes, it most likely is provided that you are not exceptionally lean and/or eating in an excessive deficit.

I believe my Body fat is around 21% to 22% and I usually have around 250-500 deficit, is that alright?

I would say it's quite likely that your protein is sufficient.
  • Serah87
    Options
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.