Do you count calories?

Options
Do you count calories?

If not, do you still lose weigh?

Or do you have to count calories to loose the weight?

At first I would still drop weight just eating as much primal/paleo as I wanted....but then it stopped. Once I started counting calories I lost those last five pounds. I have since gained 10 back due to my "kidney' issues. I had to have a stent put in my kidney and was not allowed to work out...It suuuucked!!! Gained 10 pounds in 3 months. I'm having a hard time staying "low calorie"...I love food!!!! But I'm determined to get this weight off and get in shape again.

Just curious as to how many primal/paleo buddies actually are conscious of their calorie intake.

Thanks,
Tuesday

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue.

I lost easily just going primal than the progress slowed/stopped.

Either that or I figured out how to make lots of yummy high-cal, high-carb paleo treats and went to town!

I'm usually always over on my calories and still losing.

I count them because I think I have some binge eating issues, but that's besides the point.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I keep track of calories, mostly because I need to track my carbs.

I guarantee that I could still lose weight if I didn't count calories as long as I didn't let my carbs creep up. But I do tend to let my carbs creep up so I need to keep track. For now.

My goal for this lifestyle is to get to my "goal" weight of 151, or thereabouts, which is healthy and achievable for me and then work towards stopping tracking. Intuitive eating, but sticking to my rules 95% of the time. So, the work really begins after I lose the weight. It's ridiculous to be so focused on numbers and ratios, but I need to for now.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I lost weight to begin with without counting the calories, but like the others it did eventually stall. I am counting calories and tracking my macros at the moment which seems to help. I'm hoping that I'll eventually be able to maintain weight without tracking though
  • Tuesday4422
    Tuesday4422 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not alone. I read some of your blog...I had the same issue with carbs. When I was low carb i gained 5 pounds immediately. Found out the more fruit I eat the more I lose. :)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I still count. To be completely honest, counting is like a security blanket for me. Even after 2 years of being at a healthy weight I am super terrified of putting the weight back on and watching my calories helps with that anxiety. At the end of the day, I say that if it helps you maintain a healthy lifestyle then keep it up.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I still count. To be completely honest, counting is like a security blanket for me. Even after 2 years of being at a healthy weight I am super terrified of putting the weight back on and watching my calories helps with that anxiety. At the end of the day, I say that if it helps you maintain a healthy lifestyle then keep it up.

This for me too! :drinker:
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I count to track carbs as well, I have a hard time hitting my calorie goals most of the time if i try to keep my carbs at 50 a day so I am almost always under