Recipes

LolaBug85
LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
I think it would be a great idea for us to share some recipes! I always need some new ideas for my kitchen creations! I try to eat mainly chicken or turkey for my protein, and after a while it gets kind of boring. New ideas would be great for all of us I think.

This is one that I found today that I am going to try out this weekend:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/lighter-chicken-francese-83-pts.html

What are some of your favorite healthy recipes?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    This is a great post, I have been sticking to basics and I need some ideas so I can start venturing out a little!

This recipe looks delicious but it makes a lot! Has anyone tried "downsizing" recipes to make less, and do they still turn out the same?
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    I posted this a while back on another Group. Use it while the weather is still cool. It is really good and I think pretty good on protein, especially if you boost the amount of turkey/chicken. We use left over rotisserie chicken when we make it. Also, while it says 6 servings, we get about 10 servings out of it based on our surgical stomach capacity. When I ran the figures in MFP's recipe builder, it came up to 101 cal per serving.

Found it on Diabetic Living Online if you want the source.

Turkey Tortellini Soup
    Rated: 3.5 (out of 4 stars)

Makes: 6 servings
    Serving Size: 2 cups
    Carb Grams Per Serving: 25

Ingredients

4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    4 cups water
    4 cups coarsely chopped roasted turkey breast (1 pound) (We use chicken.)
    1 14 1/2 - ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
    1 9 - ounce package refrigerated cheese tortellini
    2 cups fresh baby spinach
    6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions

In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine broth, the water, chopped turkey, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning.
    Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in tortellini. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more or until tortellini is tender. Stir in spinach. If desired, sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
    Nutrition Facts Per Serving:

Servings Per Recipe: 6
    PER SERVING: 240 cal., 3 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 63 mg chol., 656 mg sodium, 25 g carb. (3 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 28 g pro.

Diabetic Exchanges

Starch (d.e): 1; Lean Meat (d.e): 1; Vegetables (d.e): 1;
  • LolaBug85
    This is a great post, I have been sticking to basics and I need some ideas so I can start venturing out a little!

This recipe looks delicious but it makes a lot! Has anyone tried "downsizing" recipes to make less, and do they still turn out the same?

I still have yet to learn how to cook in small amounts! Luckily for me my husband eats a boatload of food hahaha. I also like to measure out my food, put it in tupperware, and freeze it. I'll take it out of the freezer the night before then grab it and go and just heat it up at work. It works pretty well. I offer no advice on making small amounts of food lol
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member

What my wife and I tend to do is make the recipe as is, unless it calls for more than 4 servings, however I think we have bigger pouches than most post-surgery veterans. By shear weight I can eat about 12 oz in a sitting. I was told that eating about a cup (8 oz) of food should be my max. I passed that by about 8 months post surgery.

Sorry, I digress. What we do is plan 3 meals a week. We then get each meal twice. If there is anything left over, it goes in the freezer. That covers 6 days. The 7th day is either our eat out meal, or we pull something from the freezer. We usually keep about a dozen meals in bags in the freezer on nights we are in a hurry, or if we simply want a lazy week.
  • LolaBug85
    I need to try the tortellini soup! That sounds AMAZING!