Meal help

Options
llfretwell
llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
First of all, I realize that I post in the forums a lot and I don't want to get annoying. I'm just new to this and always seem to find questions to ask. Please don't let me get on yall's nerves. :)

Anyways, I have some binge-eating issues that I'm dealing with. I've been keto for a little over 4 weeks (with a couple of knock-outs in there because of my poor eating choices). I am struggling. I don't think I'm eating good enough/big enough/fatty enough meals because I am snacking all afternoon/night which ends up screwing me up and making me go over my calorie count. I haven't weighed and haven't measured (I know I need to), and I haven't seen much progress as far as fat loss.

What are some pretty easy meals besides bacon and eggs that I can plan? Is there anything I can do with chicken breast to make them more keto-fatty? I take my lunch to work every day so I need some easy and quick ideas for that.

Also, intermittent fasting is something that interests me. I have actually tried it before, but won't heavy whipping cream in my coffee mess up my fast?

Sorry so many questions. I am lost. I really like the idea of the keto lifestyle, but I can't seem to get it right. :(
Help!!

Replies

• karryann2008
    Options
    I understand the binge eating perspective. I find I need to eat enough to satisfy me earlier in the day, to lessen the chances of snacking and bingeing. The urge to binge is lots less since I eat this way. I know nothing about IF, I do better on 5-6 meals a day so I never go long periods without food.
    I am new to this but you are welcome to look through my diary. I like courgettes made into 'noodles' with pesto or butter on with meat. and omelettes are so versatile.
  • Asphere79
    Options
    Super easy chicken breast recipe (or chicken thighs - more fatty): You need a crock pot (get one - trust me). Just take your breasts or thighs (or a mix) and toss them into the crock pot. Add an entire bottle of Frank's or Crystal hot sauce, 4tbsp of butter, half a pack of hidden valley ranch mix. Cook on low for 8 hours. Freezes well.

Another crock pot recipe. Chili. I brown 2lbs of ground beef, drain, and put in crock pot. Add 8 slices of cooked bacon cut up. 1 small can of the lowest carb tomato paste you can find. 1 normal sized can of petite diced tomatoes. 1 bell pepper and 1 petite onion chopped. Throw in a packet of McCormick s chili seasoning (or make your own). Cook on low for 6 hours. I freeze 6 of these and take them to work. They really stick to the ribs.

In a pinch I grab some Oscar Meyer carving board ham, full fat cheese, and some olives from the olive bar at the grocery store. I much on a few almonds with it too (emerald dark cocoa roasted ones).
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Super easy chicken breast recipe (or chicken thighs - more fatty): You need a crock pot (get one - trust me). Just take your breasts or thighs (or a mix) and toss them into the crock pot. Add an entire bottle of Frank's or Crystal hot sauce, 4tbsp of butter, half a pack of hidden valley ranch mix. Cook on low for 8 hours. Freezes well.

Another crock pot recipe. Chili. I brown 2lbs of ground beef, drain, and put in crock pot. Add 8 slices of cooked bacon cut up. 1 small can of the lowest carb tomato paste you can find. 1 normal sized can of petite diced tomatoes. 1 bell pepper and 1 petite onion chopped. Throw in a packet of McCormick s chili seasoning (or make your own). Cook on low for 6 hours. I freeze 6 of these and take them to work. They really stick to the ribs.

In a pinch I grab some Oscar Meyer carving board ham, full fat cheese, and some olives from the olive bar at the grocery store. I much on a few almonds with it too (emerald dark cocoa roasted ones).

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU! That chili sounds so good!!!

It's so funny that you mention the ham, cheese and olives, because that's exactly what I've been bringing for lunch every day lately! I shred up turkey, cheese and olive oil mayo and have some green olives on the side! Haha! YUMMMM!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you're posting too much!! When I first did low carb I was always asking my coworker or trying to find out on the internet...it takes time to learn how!

As far as chicken...I usually make bacon wrapped chicken once a week since it goes over so good with my husband and my 12 year old stepson (which is difficult to do with new things). I just throw them in at 350 for maybe 30 minutes...maybe a little more. If I feel like doing it the "best" way I'll pre fry the bacon a little while since it seems to take a bit longer for the bacon to crisp than it does for the chicken to cook. I also add oil which adds to the fat count.

- chicken fajitas without the tortilla and add in sour cream.
    - taco salads with just lettuce, ground beef, shredded cheese, hot sauce, and sour cream
    - I also use ranch seasoning packets but with pork chops, some oil, and some sour cream all in the crock pot

I keep sour cream, shredded cheese, and cream cheese on hand alot since you can put in on something or mix it in with a lot of things. They keep for a long time so I like to stock up when on sale.
  • Deuxtrouble43
    Deuxtrouble43 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting. I have an 18/6 hour window and I DO have a BPC first thing in the morning to kick start my metabolism. I have that around 7:00 am and then I don't eat anything until 2:00 pm and I then eat all my calories from 2:00 to 8:00 pm.

It may be a little hard if you are finding yourself snacking every day, but it also could quash that since you will eating all your calories in a smaller window of time and I certainly do not feel hungry at all after 8:00 pm.

I cook everything with butter or coconut oil. I have cheese, cream cheese and sour cream on a lot of my stuff, I make a chocolate mousse out of HWC and unsweetened cocoa powder if I want a treat.
  • Deuxtrouble43
    Deuxtrouble43 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh and definitely take some measurements and pictures. You will be shocked. I didn't change much weight but the difference in my pictures is phenomenal.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Please never feel like you're posting too much! Everyone's here to help each other through their diet here. We're all in it together, really.

I've dealt with binge eating problems before. I increased the amount of fat in my general meals and that helped, but the true savior for me was training my body into intermittent fasting (IF). It was tough at first, but then I just got used to eating during only certain windows. It let me hoard my calories for later in the day, so I wasn't really binge eating, just eating my calories in a smaller window. It helped keep me with a healthy outlook on my food. I wasn't doing it mostly for hunger, but really because of anxiety, though. So just in case...

Increasing the fat on high protein food can be simple if you're creative! Try making yourself fat bombs to eat as little "desserts" after your meals. You can also take that lean chicken breast and turn it into chicken fingers by coating in mayonnaise (with mustard and seasoning for flavor), and coating in crushed pork rinds and cheese. Broccoli and cheese soup is delicious and high fat, full of cheese and cream. You can also top all your chicken with mozzarella cheese, or cooking it in an alfredo sauce you make out of butter, heavy cream, and cheese (I cannot believe that this can be considered "diet" food). Add avocados to your grilled chicken with a slice of tomato topped with olive oil and feta on the side. It's delicious, and a nice way to incorporate more fat. Bulletproof coffee, if you've never had it before, is a nice treat. Add high fat things like butter, coconut oil, or heavy cream into your coffee and blend. Add some cinnamon to make it even more delicious.

ETA: Yes, heavy whipping cream in your coffee would mess up your fast. Your coffee would have to be taken black or just with sweetener. For it to be considered a fast, you cannot exceed 10 calories per hour consumed.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    If I struggling to get enough fats, I drink a coffee or protein shake with heavy whipping cream. I can go with out eating for long time.
  • Asphere79
    Options
    You can always do the bulletproof coffee to up your fats. Basic recipe would be 8oz coffee (better quality coffee if you can get it), 2T heavy cream, 1T grass feed unsalted butter (kerry gold), and 1T coconut oil. Throw it in a blender and blend it until it is frothy and creamy. If done right, it just tastes like a super creamy latte (I was shocked). You can also add some sugar free vanilla syrup (or any other flavor) if you want. I usually do that for a breakfast replacement. The MCT oil in the coconut oil is said to have many health benefits (I am a bit skeptical) but it sure makes it taste really good. Usually one of these more than holds me over until lunch (from 5:30am to 12pm).

Additionally, you could use a protein powder (like Optimum nutrition double rich chocolate) which has only 3g carbs per scoop, heavy cream, ice, and sweetener (gain Da'Vinci's vanilla syrup SF rocks) to make a tasty smoothy. Sometimes I throw some peanut butter in. Be careful though, if you are eating other meals that are protein heavy that day this might make you overdue it on the protein.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You can use boneless, skinless chicken breast meat in curries. Cube the meat. Add Thai curry paste as per directions on the container (look for the lowest carb one you can find) to 1 can of coconut milk. Bring to a boil and add the meat, as well as some low carb veggies to taste, and simmer until the meat is cooked. This is very tasty.

You can also make mayonnaise baked chicken: Mix together equal amounts of mayonnaise and a good quality, shredded parmesan cheese. Add to the mix 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed, oregano, and fine ground black pepper to taste. (Be careful not to use too much oregano - for 4 chicken breast halves, I usually use 1/2 tsp.) Place boneless, skinless chicken filets in a greased baking dish. Spread the mayo mixture atop the chicken. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes. This is so good. You won't believe it!
  • Ninanator
    Ninanator Posts: 38
    Options
    I love heavy whipping cream! And take things one at a time. Like, get the hang of not being hungry, and getting enough fat before worrying about fasting. Once you get that down, then step it up another notch. I love deli roll ups for lunches that include salami, mayo, and spinach. Easy to prepare, filling.