Tips for running in rainy conditions

Options
cdstaufenbiel
cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
I'm running the Saint Louis Go! half marathon on 4/6. It's a strong possibility that the weather could be rainy and cold. When the weather is iffy, I run at my local gym, so I don't have any experience with running in less that desirable conditions.

My concerns are:
*Damp/wet socks- will that automatically lead to blisters? How can I prevent this?

*Will my earbuds short out if they get wet? Any tips to stay dry?

*Will a garbage bag/poncho get so annoying that I hate the run? (I realize that one's entirely subjective- just looking for your experiences so I can prep)

*Dressing in layers? What do you do with extra layers when you start to heat up?

It would be great to hear about any experiences/ tips you have with running in rainy/cold conditions. Thanks!

Replies

• amc_runs
    amc_runs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Running and racing in the rain is inevitable so here is what I have learned.

**I have never gotten blisters per se but very waterlogged feet. Don't try and avoid all the puddles if it is raining, it will just expend more energy.

**If it is cold, make sure your fuel is close to your body. Nothing worse then trying to squeeze out cold gu or chew ungummy chomps.

**If the weather is cold, bring a pair of gloves that you don't mind discarding and think about brining some hand warmers, you would be surprised at how much they can help

**My i pod only shorted out once but that was when I threw a cup of water over myself during an August race. Thank god I was able to get a replacement. I have seen some runners put their i pods in a plastic baggie but mine is just a clip so I just clip to my sports bra and hope for the best.

**I definately recommend the garbage bag poncho to use to keep dry before the race. For me it's too cumbersome to run a race in it but for those minutes leading up to the race it's a life saver.

Honestly though - if it's raining or drizzily you just have to resign yourself to the fact that yes every part of you will get wet so make sure to have an entire change of clothes to change into.

Also I recommend a hat with a brim, there's nothing I hate more then water dripping down my face

Lastly - you should probably run outside if not before this race then defiantely in future training. Unfortunately races happen rain or shine.

Hope this helps
  • cdstaufenbiel
    cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I'm so ready to run outside, but am resigned to running indoors until the trails are free of ice/snow. I trained for a half marathon last summer and it was so much easier to stay engaged for long runs when running outside. I have had a tough time logging longer runs on the treadmill this time around.

Thanks again for the tips.