Optional Mini-Challenge: Week 1

Options
2»

Replies

• garzadrive
    garzadrive Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Here's some resources from the HAES site (I signed the pledge, so I could access all the stuff on the site):

Andrea's Voice Foundation

Dispelling misconceptions ... one person at a time
    We provide presentations, educational curriculum and resources for professionals and those affected by eating disorders www.andreasvoice.org/ 1383 Rosewood Lane, Napa CA United States 94558

Phone: 707 2248032

Fax: 707 259 6060

E-mail: doris@andreasvoice.org

Contact Email: doris@andreasvoice.org

Association for Size Diversity & Health (ASDAH)

The Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH) is an international professional organization composed of individual and organizational members who are committed to the principles of Health At Every Size (HAES). The mission of the Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH) is to promote education, research, and the provision of services which enhance health and well-being, and which are free from weight-based assumptions and weight discrimination.
    If you are a HAES practitioner in any field, please consider joining ASDAH. You may join online through our Membership page. http://www.sizediversityandhealth.org-a.googlepages.com/membership www.sizediversityandhealth.org PO Box 3093, Redwood City CA 94064

Phone: 877-576-1102

E-mail: contact@sizediversityandhealth.org
    Association pour la santé publique du Québec www.aspq.org 4126 rue St-Denis, Montreal Canada H2W 2M5

Phone: 514-528-5811

Fax: 514-528-5590

Contact Email: edansereau@aspq.org

Binge Eating Disorder Association

Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) is a national organization focused on providing leadership, recognition, prevention, and treatment of BED and associated weight stigma. Through outreach, education and advocacy, BEDA will facilitate increased awareness and proper diagnosis of BED, and promote excellence in care for those who live with, and those who treat, binge eating disorder and its associated conditions. BEDA is committed to promoting cultural acceptance of, and respect for, the natural diversity of sizes, as well as promoting a goal of improved health, which may or may not include weight change.
    BEDA founded National Weight Stigma Awareness Week, which is held the last week of September yearly. This week is dedicated to bringing the dangers and realities of the stigmatization and biases promoted by an ideal of thinness. BEDA also holds an annual conference in the spring (generally March or April) that is nationally recognized as the educational forum addressing binge eating disorder and weight stigma. BEDA is dedicated to promoting the tenets and principles of HAES within the eating disorders community as well as encouraging research and public policy that is true to HAES principles. www.bedaonline.com 637 Emerson Place, Severna Park MD United States 21146

Phone: 855-855-2332

E-mail: info@bedaonline.com

Contact Email: chevese.turner@bedaonline.com

Boulder Youth Body Alliance

The mission of BYBA is to provide leadership opportunities for youth to prevent eating disorders and weight preoccupation, and to inspire a positive body image through peer education, outreach and activism.
    2760 29th St, Suite 2C, Boulder CO United States 80301

Phone: 303-440-5775

Contact Email: carmenccool@yahoo.com

Chicago Center for Overcoming Overeating

We help people end the preoccupation with food and weight, using a non-diet, HAES approach, through workshops, presentations, training and counseling.
    PO Box 108, Deerfield IL 60015

Phone: 847-267-1200 x2

E-mail: jmatz@overcomingovereating.com

Council On Size & Weight Discrimination

The Council on Size & Weight Discrimination is a not-for-profit advocacy group working to end discrimination based on body size, shape, or weight. We are consumer advocates for large-size people, especially in medical treatment, job discrimination, and media images. We provide information, counseling, and referral for people who have encountered weight discrimination. We work with regulatory agencies, legislatures, and the media to change public attitudes and public policy regarding weight. We provide public education through our website, www.cswd.org.
    www.cswd.org PO Box 305, Mount Marion NY United States 12456-0305

Phone: (845) 679-1209

Fax: (845) 679-1206

E-mail: info@cswd.org

Contact Email: lynn@cswd.org

HAES UK

HAES UK is a UK-based organisation whose membership is open to all who support its mission. HAES UK supports the Health at Every Size (HAES) approach as an effective, ethical and evidence-based approach to healthcare policy, practice and research. HAES UK is committed to challenging weight-based discrimination which is considered to be disrespectful and harmful to individual and community well-being. HAES UK is committed to the following aims: 1. To examine and publish scientific evidence supporting non-weight-based approaches to healthcare. 2. To promote an accurate Health at Every Size (HAES) approach. 3. To highlight and challenge weight-based discrimination in all areas of social life
    www.healthateverysize.org.uk/ Great Britain

E-mail: info@healthateverysize.org.uk

Imagine Dance Arts

To provide a safe, loving space for ALL to learn dance. Everyone can dance if they want to and should not be discriminated against because of their size.
    Poughkeepsie NY United States 12603

Phone: (845) 416-8734

Contact Email: Scarlettny73@yahoo.com

Kristen Watt Foundation

The goal of the Kristen Watt Foundation is to provide ways to help youth develop positive self-images, recognize the signs and symptoms of eating disorders, and know what to do if they find themselves or someone they care about faced with this problem.
    www.kristenwattfoundation.org 7746 Lorraine Ave, Stockton CA United States 95210

Phone: 209-462-3889

E-mail: kwattfoundation@aol.com

Contact Email: JamieJessopRD@gmail.com

Love Your Body Detroit

We want to challenge the social norm that teaches us to shame our bodies by doing activism we hope will change our community. Help us create a safe environment to prosper and love our bodies!
    We meet the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month to plan and create social activism in the Detroit Metro area. Come and join us! loveyourbodydetroit.tumblr.com/ Detroit MI

NAAFA

Founded in 1969, NAAFA is a non-profit human rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support.
    We come in all sizes. Understand it. Support it. Accept it. www.naafa.org P. O. Box 22510, Oakland CA United States 4609

Phone: 916-558-6880

E-mail: naafa_pr@yahoo.com

Contact Email: naafa_pr@yahoo.com

NORMAL in Schools

NORMAL is a national nonprofit that educates about eating disorders (including binge eating disorder), self-esteem and body image through arts and mindfulness programs.
    www.normal-life.org/ED_101.php NY

OHSU Center for Women's Health

Health Education Resources at the OHSU Center for Women's Health is committed to providing diverse educational opportunities and support for women. We believe that every woman can enjoy wellness, and partner with them to create this through coaching, classes, educational opportunities, and more.
    www.ohsuwomenshealth.com/classes 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, L466, Portland OR 97239

Phone: 503-418-4506

E-mail: cwh@ohsu.edu

Contact Email: nielsonl@ohsu.edu

Ophelia's Place

Ophelia's Place is a non-profit organization committed to empowering individuals, families, and communities to redefine beauty and health through initiatives that increase self-esteem, improve body image and introduce alternatives to dangerous desires for perfection; and to providing outreach, advocacy and educational services to those impacted by eating disorders, disordered eating and body dissatisfaction.
    www.opheliasplace.org 407 Tulip Street, Liverpool NY 13088

Phone: (315) 451-5544

Fax: (315) 451-5557

E-mail: joslynps@gmail.com

Contact Email: maryellen@opheliasplace.org

REbeL, INC.

REbeL encourages students to rebel against our culture's unrealistic standards of beauty, which value appearance over character and promote low self-esteem, body dissatisfaction, eating disorders, bullying, and suicide. We strive to foster a healthy culture of kindness. We emphasize the importance of seeing each person's beauty and value, regardless of size. We empower students to identify and dialogue about these issues, raise awareness among their peers, and create solutions to the problems.
    REbeL is a Not For Profit peer-education program currently running in several high schools and one middle school in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. www.rebelks.com Overland Park KS United States

Phone: (913) 660-4650

Contact Email: laura.eickman@gmail.com

The Marissa Mission

The Marissa Mission fosters youths in a nourishing and playful environment, encouraging development into vibrant, confident and healthy people through Improvisational Tribal Style belly dance, yogic practice, expressive art, community and empowering life skills.
    The Marissa Mission is a non-profit youth empowerment program, offering classes, camps, workshops and performances. www.marissamission.org
    6 NE Tillamook St, Portland OR United States 97219

Phone: 503-933-5536

E-mail: info@marissamission.org

• Skittles2183
    Skittles2183 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I just saw this but I like it so I did 100 jumping jacks. but I am going to do it the rest of the week
  • BLillard68
    BLillard68 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    March 4....

Physical: Do 100 jumping jacks every day this week....DONE!!!

Mental: Research Health At Every Size (HAES) and, in this thread, respond to your findings....still waiting on the book from my local library.

Diet: Set your calorie goal to no more than 1800 every day this week....under 1800 calories today.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    March 4
    Did I complete mini challenge #1 100 JJ broke into 50/50
    Did I complete mini challenge #2 Working on it
    Did I complete mini challenge #3 Cal goal is below 1800.

When I started here last Sept. I could not even jump or move enough to do a JJ. I credit a lot of my ability to be able to do it now to challenges like this one! Thank you caradea
  • caradae
    caradae Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    March 4....

Mental: Research Health At Every Size (HAES) and, in this thread, respond to your findings....still waiting on the book from my local library.

Diet: Set your calorie goal to no more than 1800 every day this week....under 1800 calories today.

You're reading the actual book! I'm so pleased to hear it! Best book ever, seriously. It changed my life. I love it.
  • Bebubble
    Options
    March 5th
  • BLillard68
    Options
    March 5

Physical: Do 100 jumping jacks every day this week....DONE!!! :bigsmile:

Mental: Research Health At Every Size (HAES) and, in this thread, respond to your findings....still waiting on the book from my local library. :ohwell:

Diet: Set your calorie goal to no more than 1800 every day this week....under 1800 calories!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Bebubble
    Options
    March 5th
    Read a few articles on the #2 challenge.
    Interesting. I got a lot form it. Wish it had been mandatory reading for me and my kids.
    I am going to try and follow the info!
  • caradae
    Options
    March 5th
    Read a few articles on the #2 challenge.
    Interesting. I got a lot form it. Wish it had been mandatory reading for me and my kids.

That is awesome!
  • BLillard68
    Options
    March 6

Physical: Do 100 jumping jacks every day this week....DONE!!!:bigsmile:

Mental: Research Health At Every Size (HAES) and, in this thread, respond to your findings....picked up the book this evening...will start to read it tonight!!! :bigsmile:

Diet: Set your calorie goal to no more than 1800 every day this week....under 1800...just barely...ate out at Golden Corral but made several good choices. :blushing:
  • BLillard68
    Options
    March 4....

You're reading the actual book! I'm so pleased to hear it! Best book ever, seriously. It changed my life. I love it.

Yes, I actually picked up from the library this evening and i will start to read it tonight. I can't wait!!!
  • Fit2BeFly
    Fit2BeFly Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 1800 calorie or less per day. Doing good so far. This challenge has also forced me to get moving again. Thanks for the challenge.
  • Bebubble
    Options
    I'm doing the 1800 calorie or less per day. Doing good so far. This challenge has also forced me to get moving again. Thanks for the challenge.

Good Job! You are doing great!
    We all are just beating this challenge down.
  • Bebubble
    Options
    March 6th
    Did I complete mini challenge #1 100 JJ broke into 55/55!
    Did I complete mini challenge #2 Interesting. I got a lot form it. Wish it had been mandatory reading for me and my kids.

Remember I couldn't even jump in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, and part of Jan. I am doing it now!!!
  • garzadrive
    Options
    On the HAES website, I found a link to a website about BED (Binge Eating Disorder). Sounds familiar to me! :)

So, I am checking out that BED site. This list of health complications from binge eating was a wake up call to me.

http://bedaonline.com/understanding-bed/complications/#.UxoAVV47soY

"People who are obese and also have binge eating disorder may be at greater risk for several potentially life-threatening complications, including:

Type 2 diabetes
    High blood pressure
    High blood cholesterol
    Gallbladder disease
    Heart disease
    Certain cancers
    Osteoarthritis
    Joint and muscle pain
    Gastrointestinal problems
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Sleep apnea
    PCOS"

To feel encouraged, and not just scared, I looked at the BED webpages about recovery and some happy success stories.

http://bedaonline.com/understanding-bed/the-recovery-process/#.UxoAal47soY

and

http://bedaonline.com/understanding-bed/bed-recovery-stories/#.UxoAbV47soY

And I found out that my new (Obama Care) health insurance covers free therapy with certified therapists and nutritionists for treating binge eating! Thank you Obama Care!
  • garzadrive
    Options
    I didn't know what PCOS was, so I googled it. Here's what I found.

"Polycystic ovary syndrome (say "pah-lee-SIS-tik OH-vuh-ree SIN-drohm") is a problem in which a woman's hormones are out of balance."

Yep. My hormones I would say are out of balance. And the binge eating of "comfort foods" can be a cause of that???? Yikes!

I want to not only accept myself the way I am, I want to learn habits of treating myself with love, and not in ways that damage my precious health.

Thank you for this mini-challenge this week! It has been very helpful for me. And I hope for others, too.
  • caradae
    Options
    I didn't know what PCOS was, so I googled it. Here's what I found.

"Polycystic ovary syndrome (say "pah-lee-SIS-tik OH-vuh-ree SIN-drohm") is a problem in which a woman's hormones are out of balance."

Yep. My hormones I would say are out of balance. And the binge eating of "comfort foods" can be a cause of that???? Yikes!

I want to not only accept myself the way I am, I want to learn habits of treating myself with love, and not in ways that damage my precious health.

Thank you for this mini-challenge this week! It has been very helpful for me. And I hope for others, too.

Right on. I think one of the most revolutionary things we can do is love ourselves.