Is this a good plan?

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
I graduated yesterday! Yippee for me! I ran 3.2 miles in the 35 mins run yesterday. What I plan to do is run 35 mins every other day this week and increase my run time to 40 mins next week. I plan to increase my run times by 5 mins until I hit 60 mins. Is that a good game plan? I have no races that I have signed up for. I wanted to increase endurance first. Plus I still run most of my runs on an indoor track. I wanted to try doing mostly outdoor runs this month and see how I can pace myself. I don't want to go down the black hole now that I don't have an app telling me what to do :). I also plan on checking out endomondo and runkeeper this week and use one of these for my runs.

Replies

• lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes. And Congratulations on that time! That's excellent!

This is pretty much what I did once I finished a 5K. I knew that there were longer distances and I would want to increase my endurance and be able to go those longer distances. So I laddered up each week either more time (5 minutes added on), or more distance.

Then I started incorporating long runs on weekends. I was so happy when I was able to go for an hour. The more you run, the faster you'll get naturally. The next thing I added in was fartleks and tempo runs. Runkeeper has some decent running plans for this and of course the app lets you set a target pace or create your own plans. I haven't used endomondo but I'm sure they offer something similar. Runkeeper integrates well with myfitnesspal. I use it as well as garmin, and I can export from runkeeper and import into the garmin.

As you transition from indoors to outdoors, don't be discouraged if you find your pace suffering a little. The outdoors, or real race world has obstacles, uneven terrain, hills, wind and other elements you dont contend with indoors. But all these things make you better and faster and are very rewarding. Before you know it, you're long runs become your short runs, and you'll look back wondering how your body adapted so quickly and so well.
  • pmur
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I can't wait to get out more often. Like you said, I'm prepared for pacing down to complete a 5k outside.
    I'm glad I'm on track. I do want to keep challenging myself, if not I will just lose interest. I hope in time running becomes the stress buster for me like for most other runners!

I love this group for the motivation and support I got when I needed it the most. You folks rock!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Really regrdless of what you want to do there is going to be some need to increse your distance. So what you suggest is perfectly reasonable.

Personally I conslidated for about a month until I knew I was comfortable with 30 minutes continuous and then moved onto a Bridge to 10K programme. That went back to the same walk/ run plan and jumped up to a 45 minute session straight away.

I found that a little aggressive, although at the time my diary was a nightmare, which didn't help much.

An alternative might be to use one of the plans in Runkeeper or invest in a premium subscription to Endomondo and let it put together coaching for you.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I really liked the SmartCoach program on www.runnersworld.com.

There are a number of training plans out there, however. I also really like these:
    https://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/

I've been using Endomondo premium and it's good, but it's just not working for me because I need a little more flexibility in how my plan gets implemented.

Other people have used the Zen Labs Couch to 10k program.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I did my 5K right at the end, even though I was slower than most of the people in my beginner's/C25K running club. But we were running on an outdoor track... anyway: I didm;t really like the 10K apps much, but found I REALLY like 5K Forever; it has one day/week with run/run faster intervals, the next is run/run faster/run for loner intervals, and the third day each week is 35 min or so run. Starting week 5 now, and registered for my second 5K at the end of this program. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I've been using Endomondo premium and it's good, but it's just not working for me because I need a little more flexibility in how my plan gets implemented.

Indeed, I'd prefer to be able to tell it what day to anchor my long run on, and then work everything else around that. As it stands my long run is Saturday, which works ok, but my interval session needs some management to avoid breaking myself.
  • pmur
    Options
    I'm unable to get endomondo to work well within the indoor track. I used a lap counter today and know I ran 3.2 miles but for some vague reason endomondo puts it at 20kms. I'm trying runkeeper tomorrow. I will step outside next week but I like my running app to work in the track too. I looked up some plans online and I think I would like to use the track for the speed works and tempo runs. I can't have the app failing on me then :(

Regarding the bridge to 10k, it sounds too intimidating to run 4 15 mins intervals with just a minute walking break. Plus, I'm not able to start running after that short walking break. I tried that multiple times during the c25k to ease into a walk and then restart after catching my breath on difficult days but I just can't start back. I wonder how I finished the C25K in the first place. Maybe I'll try the B210k after a month or so.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Oh yeah. I forgot how awful walk breaks were back then. :(. That WILL get better.

The bad news is that it might not be Endomondo but the inability of your phone to get a clear GPS signal inside. You can do track intervals with a simple stopwatch if you can manage to count to four.
  • pmur
    Options
    Oh yeah. I forgot how awful walk breaks were back then. :(. That WILL get better.

The bad news is that it might not be Endomondo but the inability of your phone to get a clear GPS signal inside. You can do track intervals with a simple stopwatch if you can manage to count to four.

I'll definitely try the b210k, Varda.
    I found a local running group and am thinking of joining. They do a sat morning run at a trail nearby. I hope I can find someone who runs at my pace.

I tried endomondo outside today. It worked well. I mapped a route at home and followed it. The app does not correct me if I make a wrong turn though. With my sense of direction, I have to keep looking at my phone to make sure I'm on track.
    The track is 0.1 mile/lap. It gets irritating to keep the lap counter ticking :). I sometimes forget.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Join the group! It will be awesome!

The reason why I put in the caveat "count to four" is because I can't. If I'm out there doing everything I can, I lose count after about 2.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I tried endomondo outside today. It worked well.

I suspect that you'll find that the metal roof trusses in the building are interfering with the GPS signal.

I generally do my interval sessions on the North and South banks of the Thames, so lots of metal grates which get in the way when it's wet. I end up losing count of my repeats, so have to rely on the coaching to keep count.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I have endomondo issues on trails after the trees get their leaves...
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I have endomondo issues on trails after the trees get their leaves...

GPS spacecraft transmit at microwave frequencies, so the signal gets attenuated by the water in leaves. It's similar to satellite TV signal being affected by that.

The receiver in a smartphone isn't all that sensitive, so it'll show up slightly more in those than dedicated GPS sets like a ForeRunner.

I'm a communications engineer, with experience of trying to get a reliable GPS feed into safety critical systems :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's good to know why Endomondo gets so "creative"
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    It's good to know why Endomondo gets so "creative"

I haven't found it with Endomondo, but I do find that if it's wet then Runkeeper adds in random jumps. I've recently moved to a Galaxy S4 from an iPhone and find it a lot more reliable. As I'd not used Endomondo much on the iPhone I might be seeing more success as a result of the platform change, rather than the app.
  • pmur
    Options
    I tried mapmyrun and liked it. Run keeper next!