Laugh

Options
CrisEBTrue
CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
So. Looking through the food list...

Banana, raw, no skin.

Seriously, does ANYBODY actually EAT the peel??

hahahahaha

:laugh:

Replies

• GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Not in the States however when I googled this one of the links noted that many of the indigenous tribes of Africa do eat the entire banana, skin and all. Apparently the skin has a number of good for you things. I doubt that any of them are good enough to entice me to give try it out, but if you decide to give it a try, let us know how it was!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Westerners haven't ingested banana peels since Mellow Yellow in the 60's, or so I've read.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Westerners haven't ingested banana peels since Mellow Yellow in the 60's, or so I've read.

Well... that's pretty much what I was thinking. :wink:

And, I somehow doubt that individuals from indigenous tribes in Africa are going to be checking in here to count calories?
    Most probably don't have enough nutritious food anyway. (I'm not being a smartass to your remark and research, GLH, I just
    found it interesting that this factoid would be included here. Oh well. Let's hear it for... thoroughness and inclusivity. LOL)

:drinker:
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was put in for those folks who have fried green bananas rather than fried green tomatoes for breakfast?
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Maybe it was put in for those folks who have fried green bananas rather than fried green tomatoes for breakfast?

Well..... I've eaten fried bananas (actually plantains.. delicious) and they're not cooked with the peel...

LOL

It would certainly provide some extra roughage. I wonder how many carbs are in the peel??? ROFL
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sorry - had to laugh at a memory from the late sixties.. Me in my teens, mom in her 40s, the perfectly June Cleaver type (plus an incredible sense of humor) .... baking a banana peel so that she would recognize the odor in case my brother and I started smoking them to get high. Well that's why she SAID she was baking it; I had my doubts.

Luckily she, ummm... didn't recognize the smell of other stuff:wink:

ah... the sixties..
    -marilyn (ker95)
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    HAHAHA!!! Your mom sounds like a hoot.

In the mid 90's, I found a small planter with some fresh potting soil out in the back yard.
    My 20 year old son had never exhibited ANY inclination towards gardening... but.. whatever.
    A few short days later, a small shoot appeared, and shortly thereafter, a tiny perfect plant with tell-tale pointy leaves
    started to grow.

I gave it a nice squirt of Round Up.
    I didn't say anything to my son, and he said nothing to me.

About a year later, he had some friends over and he was regaling them with the story of how his precious plant had mysteriously died after doing so well.. I sidled up and told him what I'd done.

You should have seen his face. "But MOM, how did you KNOW what it was....???"

I said, "I was a teenager in the 60's; did you guys think you invented this stuff?"

They all dissolved in hoots of laughter. :bigsmile:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Sorry - had to laugh at a memory from the late sixties.. Me in my teens, mom in her 40s, the perfectly June Cleaver type (plus an incredible sense of humor) .... baking a banana peel so that she would recognize the odor in case my brother and I started smoking them to get high. Well that's why she SAID she was baking it; I had my doubts.

Luckily she, ummm... didn't recognize the smell of other stuff:wink:

ah... the sixties..
    -marilyn (ker95)

:smokin: :wink:
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have one of those stories, too.
    I came home to the most horrendous burnt smell in the house. Seems middle son, a teenager then, decided that the perfect way to dry pot would be in the microwave!
    When we went exploring, we found a hidden jungle of marijuana plants between an unused metal shed in the side yard and the side fence.(the other side of the house was where the trash and recycle barrels were kept.) Needless to say, the crop was dug up and destroyed. Ah...the 70's!
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Ha! That's a good one!!! :laugh:
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Ok, laughing about memories of the marijuana in the long ago and far away: I can remember in the early 70s arguing with my grandfather about the fact that someday it WOULD be legalized because there was simply no way you would ever be able to successfully regulate something that anyone could grow in the ground!!!!! Well, I was right!!!! Problem is, back then I thought it would be the greatest thing in the world to legalize it. Now that I am in my 60s and its rapidly becoming legal, I truly fear that a lot of people are going to die before lawsuits force businesses to take up the expense of testing their employees on a regular basis. I mean, seriously, do you want your surgeons, nurses, and air controllers to be stoned?????!!!!!!