Abs

Options
Hello everyone!
So a little background: I am no stranger to working out but I used to be a cardio addict. Since I've started trying to get back into shape I've added weights to my work out and lowered my cardio. So far I am very happy with the results and I enjoy my workouts a lot more.
My problem is my abs. I have heard conflicting things about sit-ups/crunches when you still have extra weight around the middle. Some people say it is not only unnecessary but counter-productive to try to build up my abs and lose weight at the same time. In addition, even when I was at my goal weight I never had much luck actually defining my abs so I'm pretty sure I need to choose better exercises as well.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    All about lowering that body fat percentage. You could have the strongest abs in the world, but if you have a layer of fat over them they will never show. I like to incorporate ab exercises even while I am lowering my body fat in order to maintain the muscle that I currently have.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Working them before they are visible could make them pop more once you've shed the fat from them. Body type is going to be a big factor as well.
  • little_firebug
    little_firebug Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Helps to know I'm on the right track!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Having a strong core will help a lot once you start lifting really heavy. Targeting the abs isn't going to make them more visible until you lower your bf%, but there are plenty of other benefits. :)
  • little_firebug
    little_firebug Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have added planks to my workout--gradually increasing the time I hold them. So far I can do almost a minute before I get shaky. Any other good core-strengthening moves I should throw in?