50 calories per serving?!! I've included the recipe

Options
nanaclips
nanaclips Posts: 92 Member
When I scanned in the steel cut oats, added the water, it came to 50 cal per serving. That is awesome, but seems impossible?!
Kelly

Make a Week of Steel-Cut Oats in 5 Minutes
Ingredients

1 2/3 cups steel-cut oats
4 cups water
Large pinch salt

Mix-Ins:
Milk or soy milk 
Cinnamon or other spices
Raisins or other dried fruit
Walnuts or other nuts
Jam 
Honey

Equipment

5 pint-sized Mason jars with lids (I used wide-mouth jars)
Large saucepan
Ladle

Instructions
1. Collect your jars and other equipment. I like pint-sized jars for this as they allow a little more room for adding nuts, raisins, and milk later. But you can also use half-pint jars.

2. Bring the oats, water and salt to a boil. Simmer for about 3 minutes then turn off the heat.

3. Ladle the oats and water into the jars. Cover the jars tightly with their caps and rings. Leave on the counter overnight. (This is how I make my oatmeal and I have had absolutely no problems with it, healthwise, but if for some reason you are not comfortable leaving hot oatmeal out overnight, you can also refrigerate the jars. The oatmeal won't be quite as well cooked in the morning; it will be a thinner, less creamy oatmeal. But it will still be fine.)

4. The next morning, put all but one of the jars in the refrigerator. Take the cap off one jar and stir up the oatmeal inside. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, or until quite hot. Add any milk, raisins, or other mix-ins. Enjoy!

Replies

• gdb64
    gdb64 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We really like the steel cut oats at our house. Thanks for posting this. I have some in the pantry I need to fix. I also fix enough for the week. :smile:
  • nanaclips
    Options
    Do the calories per serving look correct??
  • gdb64
    gdb64 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Calories look low to me. I just Googled calorie content for steel cut oats-cooked- and they range from 150-175 calories per serving. I think that is more like it but I could be wrong!! I always keep in mind that these are very good for you and your digestive system so the calorie content shouldn't keep a person from eating a whole serving. Hope this info helps.
  • nanaclips
    Options
    Awesome answer!!!
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think it is probably about 200. If you plug it into the food tracker. I did it for 1 3/4 cups & got 1050, so divided by 5 servings 210. Still a good breakfast, just have to be careful with the add ins.
  • nanaclips
    Options
    Thank you. I did something wrong!!