DUB or Fibroids - WARNING DESCRIPTIVE

Options
Sweet_Pandora
Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
I've placed a call to my Dr. and I'm waiting for an appointment.

Has anyone experienced heavy bleeding and clots? I woke up 3 times in the night due to excessive bleeding and passing large clots. Today is day 9 of my cycle which is unusually long and I thought it was coming to an end yesterday until I woke up in the night.

My google searches have come up with dysfunctional uterine bleeding or fibroids. I'm not looking for a diagnosis on the internet I'm just trying to ease my mind while I wait for an appointment.

Does anyone else knows what I am talking about.

Thanks

Karen

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hope your doctor called!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've got two friends who are having heavier and heavier periods and are pre-men. One had testing done and found nothing wrong and I don't know about the other. The one who was tested is looking into an IUD so she won't have them so heavy.

Sorry you are going thru this. I have an IUD and may just keep it til I'm 80! Haven't had a period in 10 years! (On my 2nd IUD.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    @Baileysmom I've always wondered about that (not going to try it again, it didn't work well for me). So you have all the peri- symptoms, probably more muted (I would imagine), but no periods... And then one day you're just... done?
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    I have an appointment this afternoon.

Thankfully yesterday I got some relief as it stopped all at once, like someone turned the tap off.

I will check in later and share what the Dr. has to say.

Giving up is not an option!

Karen
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    My Dr. thinks it may be fibroids and she's sending me for an ultra sound to start and I go to see her in a month.

Karen
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My Dr. thinks it may be fibroids and she's sending me for an ultra sound to start and I go to see her in a month.

Karen
    The transvaginal ultrasound?
    I had that. (I have one small fibroid, but no real symptoms from it).
    Hope they figure out what it is and that it's something easily managed!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    @Baileysmom I've always wondered about that (not going to try it again, it didn't work well for me). So you have all the peri- symptoms, probably more muted (I would imagine), but no periods... And then one day you're just... done?

They don't seem much milder in my opinion! LOL just no period. I have a Merina (SP?). It does have a low dose of something in it but other than that its been wonderful. Why didn't it work for you Sabine?
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Karen

I had exactly your symptoms a few years ago and it was fibroids. I had an outpatient procedure done. Problem solved. I'll be more than happy to share information about my experience if you contact me. I'm happy to share on the boards but don't know if everyone wants to read about it.

One question: have you been tested for anemia? Sorry to be gross but with that amount of blood loss, you might be low on iron.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just went through this. Note: your experience may be different. I had increasingly heavier and longer periods. My doctor kept telling me to wait it out until menopause. I found another doctor who did a transvag. sono which showed a couple of small fibroids. MD #2 told me (essentially) that I was a whiner. The pain started increasing until I passed out in a parking lot. I found another doctor who did a hysteroscopy. It showed the small fibroids that I knew about plus several HUGE fibroids pushing into the openings of my fallopian tubes. They were hidden from the sono because of their location. I had a hysterectomy and have had absolutely no problems since. I never had low blood counts or low iron counts, but I was exhausted all of the time. Don't be afraid of seeing another doctor (or two) if the answer doesn't fit what you see as the problem. Good luck, Sweetie!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    Thanks ladies for your input.

I'm going for my ultra sound today and thank goodness because now I have a pain in one of my ovaries. I may be ovulating, it's so hard to keep track.

Sabine my requisition says abd and Pelvic US so I'm not sure if is the internal one.

Nancy thank you for your offer I will send you a pm.

kobiemom I hear you about not being afraid of seeing another Dr. The Dr. that I saw in January recommended a psychiatrist! I know it's all hormonal and I'm not apposed to therapy I just don't see how a psych Dr. could help with issues in Ladytown!

I will keep you updated.

Again thank you.

Karen