Push / Pull Routine Critique Please :)

Options
nellyett
nellyett Posts: 436 Member
Hi Guys,

You're group has been incredibly informative without all of the B.S.....thank you!

I have been following a Bodybuilding.com Glute Training program for a bulk, and have added in additional upperbody sets to give it a better balance. I've definitely seen progress in my glutes and have steadily progressed in weights.

I have recently entered a cut phase and am looking to change up my routine. Some from boredom, some for more upper/lower body balance. I like to be in and out of the gym within an hour including a warm up and stretching. I like to superset between upper and lower body exercises to keep my heart rate up and feel lazy if I'm just sitting around. lol

Working sets are usually 3 x 6-10 depending. sometimes 2 if I'm not feeling it, especially with the big compound lifts to avoid injury. My objectives are to maintain any lean gains I've made and lose the fat.

I've put this together and am wondering if it's too much, too little, off balance, etc. Any input you can give me is greatly appreciated!!

Monday - Push

- Squats or Leg Press
- High Step ups
- Dumbell Chest Press
- Incline Close Grip Press
- Skull Crushers
- Cable Tricep Press-Downs

I would superset Squats with Chest press (several warm up sets for these two, less for the rest) then move on to the next two once all sets are done, etc. For the last depending on how I feel, I will do a plank between sets instead of rest.

Tuesday - Pull

- Kettlebell Swings
- Deadlifts
- Hip Thrust / Glute-ham raise
- Seated Cable Row
- Lat Pull-downs
- Biceps Curl

Wednesday - Cardio

- I will usually jog the track and mostly because I like it, not because I'm a cardio hound. I will either do 10 sprint intervals and walk the rest for a total of 45-60 min. or easy jog a 5km, or walk for an hour. OR Kickboxing with a heavy bag. In that case, it's not an 'easy' cardio day but it's fun!

Thursday - Push

- Split Squats / Lunges
- Leg Extensions
- Bench Press
- Overhead Shoulder Press
- Lateral Raises
- Woodchoppers

Friday - Pull

- Stiff Leg Deadlift / One Leg Kettlebell Deadlift
- Back Extensions
- Leg Curls
- Bent Over Row
- Chin Ups (Assisted)
- Cable / Barbell Curls

Saturday - Cardio

- super easy and basically walking for as long as I like. typically an hour because it feels great to move and stretch out. :)

Sunday - Rest

Again, many thanks for having a look at this for me!!

Nikki

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • nellyett
    Options
    Just a friendly bump :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions:

- are you wedded to a 4 day split or would a 3 day full body work for you

- are you focusing on LBM retention or do you have strength goals?
  • nellyett
    Options
    Thanks for replying :)
    I prefer a 4 day split as I have some knee issues and time constraints, shorter workout seems to work best. however, I'm open to alternatives.

My focus right now is to retain LBM and lose fat. I've spent the last couple of months building strength which I'm happy with, and now with summer coming, time to remove the fluff :)
  • nellyett
    Options
    just a polite bump :)
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    tagging for future reference
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Crap...sorry. We will get to this today hopefully.
  • nellyett
    Options
    That would be great, thank you :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    We would suggest an upper/lower split, with a couple of compound lifts at the beginning of each session with accessory work. You should look to adjust your routine to not have you hit the same muscle group on back to back days. You should also put your compound lifts at the start (and squats should go first). In addition, the overall program should be hitting all muscle groups. preferably twice a week.

Rep ranges generally should be in the 5 - 8 range for compounds and 8 - 12 for accessory lifts. We generally recommend to rest between sets. Supersetting may be appropriate to get through your workout faster, but in most circumstances, supersetting is not necessary, and is often counter-productive.

Ensure that you have some form of progressive loading - i.e. increase reps and/or weight each session where possible.
  • nellyett
    Options
    That's great, thanks Sara....I will tweak as recommended. :)
This discussion has been closed.