Body fat percentage

Hello,

I currently sit at 24% body fat. Does anyone have any tips/ideas on how I can reduce that number? I am within my healthy weight range, but generally looking for advice on how to drop my body fat percentage.

Replies

• Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    I dropped 5% body fat (started at 29%) through reduced calorie, weight lifting, and moderate cardio.

I unfortunately gained some of it back, but am dedicated again to lose even more.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    A combination of general weight loss (from your diet) and strength training is your best bet for losing fat. You won't really gain muscle at a calorie deficit, but strength training will help you keep the lean body mass (muscle, bone density) you have right now as you lose fat.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Strength training!
  • Emmie112
    Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
    My body fat is around 24% too and I'm working on getting it below 20% (my lowest). I lost the most body fat working with 2 trainers who competed in fitness competitions. They both created circuit training plans for me with really heavy weights and I didn't have to do the dreaded cardio. One trainer suggested a full body 60 minute work out 2-3 days M-F and the other suggested 30 minute upper or lower body work outs 4-5 days M-F.

I could never get my body fat low enough to see my abs because I couldn't diet. But this year, I'm dieting because I want to see them this summer!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    How or what do you all use to measure body fat? Do you go somewhere for the submersion test or just use measurements to calculate?
  • Emmie112
    I bought a body fat scale to use at home. The body fat calculation depends on how hydrated I am. And it's about 3% off from the scale at the gym & the clippers used by personal trainer when I got my fitness assessment done. But I use it as a bench mark if I'm gaining or losing body fat.
  • Emmie112
    I looked up the submersion test in my city and there's a clinic that offers Bod Pod tests for a reasonable price. I booked an appointment for Monday morning. I'm eager to see where my body fat is really at.