Assistance exercises for a relatively weak core?

Options
SuperSexyDork
SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
I'm noticing with squats that I'm having some trouble at higher weights (my 1RM is 285) keeping my torso upright. It is not that I can't, I just find it to be much more of a struggle than pushing up out of the hole. I'm assuming my issue is due to my core not being as strong as my legs (understandable since I fractured my T-12 vertebrae at 15 and had a C-section at 20). I should mention that I'm 25 now and have no lasting pain/issues with either.

I'm currently doing 5/3/1 with BBB and the accessories are simply 5 sets of 10x60% of 1 RM (right now that's 145) and 5 sets of leg curls x 10 (I'm doing 115 right now). I do all of the other major lifts on separate days and currently do no direct core work.

What do you feel is the best assistance work for strengthening a weak core relatively quickly? I only say relatively quickly because I would like to continue to progress on squats and continue to be competitive in powerlifting. If there isn't a "quick" answer but instead a progressive answer, I completely understand.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Back hypers maybe? If your squat form is failing, deload.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I found front squats to be an awesome accessory both for training the core, and for reinforcing the motor patterns of an upright torso while squatting. YMMV

PS nice squat. I totally thought you were a dude until I got to the C-Section part :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    I found front squats to be an awesome accessory both for training the core, and for reinforcing the motor patterns of an upright torso while squatting. YMMV

PS nice squat. I totally thought you were a dude until I got to the C-Section part :drinker: :flowerforyou:

LOL, thanks! I'm definitely female. My bench 1RM only being 160 is quite telling of that =|

Anyway, thank you for the front squat suggestion. I'll have to give them a try.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Back hypers maybe? If your squat form is failing, deload.

Back hyperextensions? I used t do those with a 45 lb plate clutched to my chest and didn't feel much. Maybe I had incorrect form?

As far as deloading, 5/3/1 has a deload every 4th week with the working sets going back down to 40%, 50%, and 60% of 1RM. I have had to deload my bench and OHP down for 2 whole cycles before to be able to progress so I'll give that spme thought.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Good mornings seem to be a favorite squat accessory. I'm sure you're doing heavy deadlift already. That is the best core exercise I have found. I also love my new safety squat bar as I get to do upright squatting without going full front or killing my shoulders. Great for good mornings, too.
  • _benjammin
    Options

Back hyperextensions?
    Yes
    As an accessory you shouldn't really "feel" anything.
    Are you sure a weak core is the problem?
    Are you doing high bar or low bar squat?
    Can/will you video? Even if you don't want to post it at least watch and compare yourself to some good youtube form videos.
    I low bar squat and hips were coming up out of the hole, causing me to bend over. I deloaded big time, worked on hitting depth, hip mobility (Limber 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc ) and thinking about pushing the bar back (rather than up) out of the hole (but the bar did infact travel in a straight line).
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Good mornings seem to be a favorite squat accessory. I'm sure you're doing heavy deadlift already. That is the best core exercise I have found. I also love my new safety squat bar as I get to do upright squatting without going full front or killing my shoulders. Great for good mornings, too.

Good mornings are great but i was advised by a strength coach to not start those till i could do 5 sets of 15 of back-raises/hyperextensions...since if i can't do my own body weight adding more weight on top of it would only hinder my development. Especially since this is an accessory exercise. I'd also do some pulling exercises on upper body day that target the middle back.

Also as '_benjammin' was saying when coming out of the hole the visual i use is to roll my elbows up while keeping my shoulder blades still tight, i found that visual, along with focusing on activating my glutes gets my hip cage to swing under and accelerate the lift.

You may/need to add some accessory exercises for the hammies and glutes also. Swap in some Romanian DLs, glute bridge etc.

I've also found using a box and or a 3-5 second pause at the bottom of the movement with lighter weights a good training exercises to learn how to get out of the hole.

Regardless, impressive lifts and keep up the awesome work.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    You stall on squats could be a technique problem. Might be a good idea to take a video and post it. With that said, a strong core is always a good thing.

Flexibility could also be another limiting factor.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Really, the best thing for core strength is squats and deads, so keep doing them.

Abs strength is key in these lifts and is usually more of an issue than low back strength. Especially your obliques.

I agree that if you are starting to have a form breakdown, it's time to step back and examine why and drop the weight back. Progression on your lifts isn't always going to be linear and there are times when revisiting form and technique will make you stronger in the long run.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nothing really to add to what has been said.

- check your form
    - do more squats/deads, including fronts
    - add some core exercises in, which have already been suggested. Also, think about standing cable crunches and ab roll outs if its more of an ab thing than a back issue.

It may just be that the weight is getting away from you and you need to change your routine a bit so you have more volume at heavier weights - but dropping the weight a bit at first to recheck form.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Really, the best thing for core strength is squats and deads, so keep doing them.

I'll second this, but for some people (like me) it takes a very conscious effort to keep the abs engaged. Once you do, it's a whole new ballgame.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options

Back hyperextensions?
    Yes
    As an accessory you shouldn't really "feel" anything.
    Are you sure a weak core is the problem?
    Are you doing high bar or low bar squat?
    Can/will you video? Even if you don't want to post it at least watch and compare yourself to some good youtube form videos.
    I low bar squat and hips were coming up out of the hole, causing me to bend over. I deloaded big time, worked on hitting depth, hip mobility (Limber 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc ) and thinking about pushing the bar back (rather than up) out of the hole (but the bar did infact travel in a straight line).

I've had a few people assess my squat form. I'm confident in it. At my last meet, the judge was kind enough to give me some advice afterward and he said that my core seemed "a little shaky" and that I should focus on gaining core strength. I appreciate the help. Thank you!
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    You stall on squats could be a technique problem. Might be a good idea to take a video and post it. With that said, a strong core is always a good thing.

Flexibility could also be another limiting factor.

I didn't say I was stalled on squats, simply that I wanted some advice on gaining more core strength as I believe it isn't at the same level as my legs.

I'm also confused as to why you say flexibility would be a limiting factor. My squats are all below parallel and I haven't had any problems with getting to/below parallel even though I'm approaching 150% of my body weight.
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Nothing really to add to what has been said.

- check your form
    - do more squats/deads, including fronts
    - add some core exercises in, which have already been suggested. Also, think about standing cable crunches and ab roll outs if its more of an ab thing than a back issue.

It may just be that the weight is getting away from you and you need to change your routine a bit so you have more volume at heavier weights - but dropping the weight a bit at first to recheck form.

Thank you for taking your time and giving me some advice. I appreciate the suggestions.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Strongly feminist answer: A woman who is doing 531 and can squat 285, bench 160 and deadlift 320 obviously knows what she's doing regarding the basics. Therefore, the simple answers about deloading and mobility are missing the point, and not what OP asked for.

OP, the only thing I would add is that you might want to consider swapping your exercises around on BBB, ie doing 5x10 deadlift on squat day. Wendler has recommended this himself (he doesn't explicitly say this in the book, but he has said it in his articles and interviews). I was given this site when I started 531 at http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator . Choose the option that says "less boring (squat work sets with deadlift BBB sets, etc)"

Secondly, eat enough and rest enough :)
  • _benjammin
    Options
    A woman who is doing 531 and can squat 285, bench 160 and deadlift 320 obviously knows what she's doing regarding the basics. Therefore, the simple answers about eat enough and rest enough are missing the point, and not what OP asked for.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    A woman who is doing 531 and can squat 285, bench 160 and deadlift 320 obviously knows what she's doing regarding the basics. Therefore, the simple answers about eat enough and rest enough are missing the point, and not what OP asked for.

So what are your recommendations Ben?
  • _benjammin
    Options

So what are your recommendations Ben?
    As stated originally, back hyperextensions. But I still believe a deload with possible higher volume work will also work and and strengthen the core.
    Additionally, hanging leg/knee raises, possibly weighted if sets of 15 straight leg raises with a pause are easy.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Those are just one type of lower back exercises. Sort of tough to pin down any area or specific exercise though. At those #s, I wouldn't guess it was a core issue. Thus the request for a video.