Power Lifting competition info

Options
WannabeSC
WannabeSC Posts: 28 Member
Sara has made powerlifting competition sound like so much fun I have been trying to learn more about it and have even considered trying to participate in the future. I am looking for more information and haven't had much success finding local events so I could go watch, info on categories (age, weight, novice or combination of all three??), ranges of weight women of my age/size etc were lifting so I would know when/if I might be ready to go try to compete... Thanks for any direction, I haven't found useful sites searching the internet. on my own.

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Tagging!

(I've been browsing here: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/powerlifting-meets)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Tagging!

(I've been browsing here: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/powerlifting-meets)

That's the place to go. Also from that site- go to the various federations sites themselves, from there, you can often link to your state and see if/when there are meets.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Great site. Question: If I want to qualify for nationals, do I have to hit all 4 minimum lift numbers? For example, for my age and weight (48 yo, 195 lbs) they list qualifying weights as:

Squat: 296 (my PR is 300)
    Bench: 197 (my PR is 240)
    DeadLift: 296 (my PR is 425)
    Total: 789

I can hit the bench, DL and total real easy. Squat is just under my 1RM PR.

Just curious how this works.

Tom
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Great site. Question: If I want to qualify for nationals, do I have to hit all 4 minimum lift numbers? For example, for my age and weight (48 yo, 195 lbs) they list qualifying weights as:

Squat: 296 (my PR is 300)
    Bench: 197 (my PR is 240)
    DeadLift: 296 (my PR is 425)
    Total: 789

I can hit the bench, DL and total real easy. Squat is just under my 1RM PR.

Just curious how this works.

Tom

Which federation?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I was actually going to do a thread about this - a lot pf people seem interested in doing one so I was going to start one with hopefully useful resources and tips for a first-timer.

Which State are you in?
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Ohio and was looking at USAPL Raw division.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You just need valid lifts in a USAPL sanctioned meet.
  • tomcornhole
    Options

Coolio. If I drop down to 181 lbs I can set all the ohio state records because no one has those records. They're all blank.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Coolio. If I drop down to 181 lbs I can set all the ohio state records because no one has those records. They're all blank.

You can enter both open and Masters categories if you want. You lift once but the lifts count towards both. It's usually about $25 more to enter two rather than the one.

I would try to find the FB page of USAPL in Ohio and join - you often find more about meets that way.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I also want to watch this thread. I have a lot of running goals this year, but next year I want to start looking to competing. It seems so scary though, and I feel sometimes that my lifts will never be good enough but I'd love to try!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I also want to watch this thread. I have a lot of running goals this year, but next year I want to start looking to competing. It seems so scary though, and I feel sometimes that my lifts will never be good enough but I'd love to try!

Honestly, the meets I have been to (all of two..lol) have had a huge range of lifts - everyone is encouraged and no-one is made to feel bad about what weight they lift. The fact that you go out and do it is respected above everything else.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    http://www.cpunationals.ca/

Info for Canadians
  • danimalkeys
    Options

Honestly, the meets I have been to (all of two..lol) have had a huge range of lifts - everyone is encouraged and no-one is made to feel bad about what weight they lift. The fact that you go out and do it is respected above everything else.

I've been to a lot of meets as a participant, judge, and helper. Every lifter is treated with respect no matter what your lifts are- because you are on the platform doing it, not sitting in the gym talking about how much you could bench in a meet. Yeah, some giant dude squatting 900lbs is going to get a lot of attention because those lifts are not common in a local meet, but the first timer who is squatting 95lbs gets the same respect and often gets a lot of attention because they are new- lots of encouragement, tips, etc from the experienced lifters. We were all there once.
  • Nurse_Christy
    Nurse_Christy Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    So, I've been looking into this and the age divisions all seem to jump from 20-23 to 35+. Do those of us who fall in between just have to go in the "Open" division?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So, I've been looking into this and the age divisions all seem to jump from 20-23 to 35+. Do those of us who fall in between just have to go in the "Open" division?

Yes.

Everyone can go in the open division. You can also select to also compete at the age groups (you only do the lifts once, but they count towards both).

For example. I lift once (well. 3 times as you get 3 attempts) for each lift, but of I select to do both divisions, the lifts count towards the open age group and the masters.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    I think I'm going to try to hit the USAPL Ohio regional meet up near Cleveland on 12 April. I'm at 198 right now at the end of a bulk. I think it would be best just to stay here and compete at 198. Then cut for the summer and then bulk for the State Championship in the fall. Or cut to 181 and compete in a lower weight class. I would be ripped at 181.

Whadya think of that plan?
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    http://www.cpunationals.ca/

Info for Canadians

Also www.powerlifting.ca for us Canuck folks :flowerforyou:
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    I think I'm going to try to hit the USAPL Ohio regional meet up near Cleveland on 12 April. I'm at 198 right now at the end of a bulk. I think it would be best just to stay here and compete at 198. Then cut for the summer and then bulk for the State Championship in the fall. Or cut to 181 and compete in a lower weight class. I would be ripped at 181.

Stay at 198. You'll be stronger. April 12 is pretty soon to get ready for a meet, you need to get on a program that will let you peak out your lifts and be able to take a rest week prior to the meet. Depending on your lifting routine now, it maybe really hard to get a max performance that fast, but if it's your 1st meet, don't worry about it. Go and lift and learn.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Stay at 198. You'll be stronger. April 12 is pretty soon to get ready for a meet, you need to get on a program that will let you peak out your lifts and be able to take a rest week prior to the meet. Depending on your lifting routine now, it maybe really hard to get a max performance that fast, but if it's your 1st meet, don't worry about it. Go and lift and learn.

^^this.

At your first meet you do not want to be worried about making weight and rehydrating - just go and enjoy.