Ideal weight or insurance chart weight?

I wonder whether people who post their goal weight are going for something that feels right or something that the insurance companies post as our ideal weight? I know that my ideal weight is 167. I have to point out I haven't seen 167 since I graduated high school and subsequently went on a liquid diet and lost 20 pounds! That was 2 children and dare I say, 31 years ago.

Right now I know what I feel comfortable at but that weight is a fair amount above what is "ideal" for my body type. So right now instead of saying I have 100 pounds to lose I say 50 and it makes it a whole lot more manageable in my mind.

I'm not looking for numbers here, just wondering if people feel comfortable at a weight that is above their "ideal" weight as outlined by "them".

Happy Friday to everyone!

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I'm supposed to weigh 145 and I never could imagine actually getting even close to that, so that could be why I would be comfortable with 175. It's seems like a much more manageable goal. Judging by what size I was at when I was 215, I would hover around size 10/12 which would make me really happy. My ultimate goal is a size 10..

My husband is also the same way. He is supposed to be around 180, but didn't weigh that since high school. He has very skinny arms and legs, so I couldn't imagine there would be alot left to them if he dropped to that number. He would be more comfortable and thrilled with right around 200.
  • LuluNH
    LuluNH Posts: 75 Member
    I started at 225 lbs/ size 24W.....I'm supposed to be around 153 based on BMI calculators but I set my goal at 160 and right now it is very slow going to lose the last bit of weight. I keep reminding myself that today is the same as goal - keep eating the same and exercising! When I started over one year ago I could not post my entire goal.....too overwhelming....so my first goal was Onederland and even that seemed like a stretch to lose 25 pounds!! Once I reached Onederland, I thought about my next goal and set it at 160, knowing that 178 was the lowest I had weighed as an adult....about 10 years ago on Atkins. Now I am hanging out at 172 waiting to break into the 160s. I'm a 12/14 - apple shape....I want to fit into a 34 waist pant....my goal is to have a waist under 35 inches because from what I have read that is optimal for heart health. ( I can button the 34s but they aren't totally comfortable yet...muffin top!!) and YES at 160 I will feel more that comfortable...I felt/feel good at 193, 183, 172...best wishes for an on-plan day!!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    The ideal weight for my height is anywhere from 110-140. I am going to be within that range when I drop the last 15 pounds. I'm going slightly below the upper end of the range because I want to give myself a few pounds leeway to go up and down. I've been at 110 pounds (high school) and that was too skinny for me. Now I can't imagine getting that low. It seems too daunting. I look best at around 130-135 pounds and that's what I'm shooting for.